Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,442 times

Advertisements

I know I can't be the only fan of lacrosse here - represent!!

Talk college lacrosse, Major League Lacrosse, and National Lacrosse League here... Hell, anything about lacrosse!

I will follow the NLL, but I'm more into the MLL. Go Charlotte Hounds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
I follow the Maryland Terps..sort of... It's a pretty common sport here in MD (with Terps and JHU being the powerhouses), but it's hard to get into it when you just don't see it on TV that often. I will catch the MD games when they are on. Not sure if we'll see more if it this year on BTN.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Its not televised or highly hyped so not many are into the sport or even know about it.

Quote:
In 1994 Parliament passed the Canada's National Sport Act which declared lacrosse to be "Canada's National Summer Sport", with hockey as the national winter sport.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:37 PM

I believe once the playoffs get around, ESPN will carry college lacrosse. Can't really speak for NLL, but I know there are some MLL games on ESPN3 and some televised on ESPN2. They also carry a game weekly on a live YouTube feed.

In Texas, it's hard to find anyone interested in lacrosse. My school has a club lacrosse team, but no colleges field NCAA teams. I think a team would perform well (in terms of attendance, at least) in Dallas or San Antonio. But the fact that we have no college teams doesn't help.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM

387 posts, read 351,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I know I can't be the only fan of lacrosse here - represent!!

Talk college lacrosse, Major League Lacrosse, and National Lacrosse League here... Hell, anything about lacrosse!

I will follow the NLL, but I'm more into the MLL. Go Charlotte Hounds!
Growing up in Syracuse was awesome for a lacrosse fan. I follow it and watch it when I can. Not so much MLL or the NLL anymore. I use to watch the NLL all the time when it was MILL, and Syracuse even got a team (it was becoming the NLL at that time). Shockingly to me, a team in Syracuse just didn't stick. College lacrosse up in central new york.

Syracuse has probably their best team in years. Just lost a tough on in overtime to ND this past weekend. You can definitely see the sport growing though. Look no further than the fact that Denver, yes Denver, has a very good lax program in mens.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
Syracuse has probably their best team in years. Just lost a tough on in overtime to ND this past weekend. You can definitely see the sport growing though. Look no further than the fact that Denver, yes Denver, has a very good lax program in mens.
Even in the pro game. The MLL's Denver Outlaws won their first championship last summer after YEARS of playoff disappointment. In 2013, the Outlaws went 14-0 in the regular season, the first time any team has done that, only to be ousted by the Charlotte Hounds in the first round of the postseason!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM

The MLL season starts today with 6 of 8 teams in action. The first matchup is Charlotte hosting Rochester.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I am actually watching some of the Boston/Denver game and was going to ask if the sport is catching on in the South? I ask this because I noticed that the MLL Championship is in Kennesaw GA and its All Star Game is in Houston according to commercials I just saw.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
Growing up in Syracuse was awesome for a lacrosse fan. I follow it and watch it when I can. Not so much MLL or the NLL anymore. I use to watch the NLL all the time when it was MILL, and Syracuse even got a team (it was becoming the NLL at that time). Shockingly to me, a team in Syracuse just didn't stick. College lacrosse up in central new york.

Yes, it is a very popular sport in the area and it doesn't hurt that the Onondaga Nation is in the area.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 AM

387 posts, read 351,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I am actually watching some of the Boston/Denver game and was going to ask if the sport is catching on in the South? I ask this because I noticed that the MLL Championship is in Kennesaw GA and its All Star Game is in Houston according to commercials I just saw.
It's expanding in the south. You are really starting to see more and more colleges at the minimum offer club teams. Florida has a pretty strong women's team for a school that just started fielding a full team in 2010. I do think it's going to keep expanding and gaining in popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports