Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Espn.com has changed their page layout. I hate it. It takes much longer to load, and a lot more clicks to get to features that used to be right on the portal page.

There is no contact-us button, I had to google to find a number to call, I was told that there is no provision for subscribers to opt for the old page layout. I said Goodbye, and I'm removing espn from my bookmarks.

Specific complaints that I immediately noticed (besides the glacially slow load time):

NHL is no longer a link on the main page, yo have to click "More" and then "NHL"

MLB scores page no longer shows inning-by-inning line scores, to see that you have to click each game to expand it.

For the time being, I'm using cbs.com. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better general sports page, not for a lot of background crap, just up-do-date scores and stats and standings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,395,921 times
I just checked it out...looks generic. I'll stick with CBSSports.com as well.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I agree. It sucks. Looks like they paid some techie hipster pinhead to recreate this convoluted monstrosity.

I get my sports news elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I hate ESPN and I hate their a$$-face!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=0DJ2xyD0wU4

Old 04-16-2015, 09:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Yeah ESPN is an overstuffed pig and pretty crap at sports writing. Seems all the 'big' sites got a new layout this month. All look exactly alike, are more difficult to navigate, and take longer to load. 'Progress'.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:48 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
I was already growing tired of ESPN and all of their BS news stories... like I recall one day there was an article about how Shabazz Napier unfollowing LeBron James on Twitter. Is this really newsworthy? Now their website looks terrible.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:18 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
I actually like the new ESPN.com website. It does a much better job of providing information hubs for your favorite teams (left side of the page), including in my case some Division II and Division III college football teams. (Mind you, the information provided in the hubs for those more obscure teams is limited.) The only major thing I dislike is that only your six favorite sports get their own headings at the top of the page; it used to be seven. (I'd personally prefer if it was eight.) I wish users could personalize the sports scores that show up at the top of the page (I'd eliminate all the soccer scores they insist on putting up there, and I'd limit the scores shown for some other sports I follow more causally, like golf, boxing, and horse racing, to major events.) You do have to scroll a lot more on the main page now, but at least in my case I've also found I don't need to go to the individual sport sub-pages as much either.

To jtur88 - you can have the NHL show up as a "major" sport for you by creating a (or signing into your) ESPN.com account and designating the NHL as one of your six favorite leagues or sports. I know for me personally, I have tennis as my #6 league/sport, and it is shown in the strip header near the top of the ESPN.com webpage.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
I hate espn.com's new page layout
No hatred here, but it is a bit GENERIC.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:24 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Yes, their website redo is terrible, but remember it's fashioned more
towards smart-phone use. Many websites have made the transition,
resulting in a layout that appears far less funcional and dumbed-down
compared to the old format.

Anyway...

If you want to hear BAD, try listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:47 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Espn.com has changed their page layout. I hate it. It takes much longer to load, and a lot more clicks to get to features that used to be right on the portal page.

There is no contact-us button, I had to google to find a number to call, I was told that there is no provision for subscribers to opt for the old page layout. I said Goodbye, and I'm removing espn from my bookmarks.

Specific complaints that I immediately noticed (besides the glacially slow load time):

NHL is no longer a link on the main page, yo have to click "More" and then "NHL"

MLB scores page no longer shows inning-by-inning line scores, to see that you have to click each game to expand it.

For the time being, I'm using cbs.com. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better general sports page, not for a lot of background crap, just up-do-date scores and stats and standings.

Everyone I know hates it. I also hate for the NBA & MLB scoreboard there's no longer the number of games that are being played that day, you have to count them out manually now. No inning-by-inning line scores from MLB either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports