Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times

Advertisements

For me, Its Kirk Gibson's home run in 1988. why?
1. It was game 1 of the WS, if it was the series-ending HR I would understand why it gets talked about often.
2. He was injured, so what? It's not like he had to run around, or worried about getting hit. He just had to walk up to the plate and stand there. Also, he didn't seem to have trouble running the bases after hitting the HR
3. Wasn't he the leading hitter of that team anyway? So it shouldn't be all that surprising.
Everytime i watch "The best plays in sports" this moment is almost always ranked very high. It ranks higher than Joe Carter's 1993 series-ending Hr as well as The one in 1960 by Bill cant think of last name. I just don't get why this play gets so much glory.
So now what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
"Roy Hobbles" is certainly not over rated -- especialy for us who followed that season-post season. The Mets were supposed to sweep the Dodgers. NOBODY expected Lasorda's Boys to even beat the Mets to get there (although I had a bet on them :>) He hobbled around the bases.

I admit that I was more happy on Joe Carter's homer, but Gibson's was right out of the movies. It was actually the other way around -- life imitating art -- pretty hard to do without a director caling the shots (see The Natural.)

PS It was Bill Mazeroski.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 AM

133 posts, read 559,130 times
I'll give you one.

Doug Fluti's Hail Mary.
And the thing that always makes me crazy is its always Fluit's pass bla bla bla......What about the guy who made the catch? Fallin (sp) I think he should be given just as much if not more credit for catching the thing.........

Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 AM

536 posts, read 1,193,466 times
my choice for most overrated was when michael jordan made that shot over craig ehlo i believe during the 89 playoffs. big deal it was like during the first round and i think the bulls lost the next round anyways to the pistons

Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
I think ESPN has overdone Fluties hail mary because I've seen it so many times now. I think the reason it gets glory is because Miami was the top dog that year(I think).
Micheal Jordan's shot over Ehlo is sweet but I think game 6 vs. Utah in 1998 was sweeter, after all, it won a championship.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
Without a doubt, the Flutie hail-mary pass vs Miami is overplayed and VASTLY overrated more than any other "great sports moment. Here is the reality of that play...Flutie throws the ball in the air just like any QB would have on the game's final play. The only difference even if the main stream media doesn't want to admit it, is that Flutie was on his way to winning the Heisman from a school repping the big media blitz machine, a major northeastern hub in a region that doesn't normally earn much accolades in the world of big time college athletics (especially football) at that time. Gerald Phelan gets BEHIND the defense WITHOUT the ball so much as being TIPPED. The reality of the matter is that the entire season, the Miami Hurricane defense was nothing short of atrocious. Seriously, a pass from mid field on the game's final play where the ball isn't even tipped? Even inexcusable on the high school level. All Flutie did was throw the ball up and hoped some one wearing his same uniform would come down with it. Nothing more.
Watch the last 15 seconds of Colorado vs Michigan and Kordell Stewart's hail mary pass. Far more incredulous. Any one who ranks the BC-Miami ahead of this game's finish is out of their minds and guilty of letting the Flutie hype machine dictate their rankings. Sure it was luck too that the pass was completed, but Kordell Stewart had to complete TWO passes starting from his own 10-yard line with seconds remaining as ABC was already cutting to its closing production credits. And on the TD throw, that ball was heaved a LONG ways- alot of QBS- even Hall-of-Fame NFL QBS in some instances couldn't have thrown that ball long enough to get near the goal line. A far more remarkable finish.

Another one I'll add is NC State vs Houston in the 82 championship game. Foul festival in a year where there was still no shot clock. Not difficult to shorten the game, not to mention NC State constantly fouled a lousy shooting FT team, and sure enough Houston obliged by constantly missing fts. Yes it was an upset and everyone remembers Jimmy V looking for a hug, but no way does a throw down by Lorenzo Charles at the end of this game approach Villanova-Georrgetown in 85 or Duke-UNLV in 91 for awe and shock value as the last seconds ticked off the clocks. Far more entertaining games to watch as well from start-to-finish.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM

15 posts, read 42,897 times
The final three plays of the Fiesta Bowl. Got real sick of seeing that.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Another one I'll add is NC State vs Houston in the 82 championship game. Foul festival in a year where there was still no shot clock. Not difficult to shorten the game, not to mention NC State constantly fouled a lousy shooting FT team, and sure enough Houston obliged by constantly missing fts. Yes it was an upset and everyone remembers Jimmy V looking for a hug, but no way does a throw down by Lorenzo Charles at the end of this game approach Villanova-Georrgetown in 85 or Duke-UNLV in 91 for awe and shock value as the last seconds ticked off the clocks. Far more entertaining games to watch as well from start-to-finish.
It was a great ending, come on...

I must disagree about the Georgetown-Villanova game. Being in the same conference, they had played each other twice that year and the Hoyas won both, but they did not dominate and the scores were very close.

Yes, Villanova scored an upset and deserves accolades, but it was not like they came out of nowhere. They had a very good team which had a good regular season and a good Big East tournament. It wasn't like Rider or Monmouth came along and dethroned the mighty Hoyas.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
I have to go with the Flutie pass. He just heaved that to the end zone. He didn't now who it was going to when he threw it. It was a big play, but not a great individual effort by Flutie.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It was a great ending, come on...

I must disagree about the Georgetown-Villanova game. Being in the same conference, they had played each other twice that year and the Hoyas won both, but they did not dominate and the scores were very close.

Yes, Villanova scored an upset and deserves accolades, but it was not like they came out of nowhere. They had a very good team which had a good regular season and a good Big East tournament. It wasn't like Rider or Monmouth came along and dethroned the mighty Hoyas.
Can't agree with that. Villanova barely got in the field- some didn't think they would make it- an 8 seed in what was then, I believe a 53 team field. They beat some dam good competition along the way in the tourney- no one saw them beating UNC in the sweet 16, and they had to go thru Keith Lee and Memphis in the semis. The night they had vs Georgetown was nothing short of astounding, shooting over 70 percent! Georgetown in some eyes was the greatest college team ever assembled that year and was the defending champs. Incredible game built further by the aura of Georgetown and a true David vs Goliath that surpasses NC St-Houston. Few teams in any sport had the aura and reputation of the Patrick Ewing Georgetown teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports