Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ wow. i cant name any usa soccor players (thats sad on my part).
That might be because you are an American? It is funny how American soccer players are probably far more well known in the UK than they are in America whereas a top NFL player could walk the streets of the UK without anybody having any idea who they are, I think that just goes to show just how different the sporting scenes are each side of the pond. Currently the US sporting national I have interest in is Matt Miazga, he has recently signed for my club and I hope he fulfils his potential and becomes one of our best players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
That might be because you are an American? It is funny how American soccer players are probably far more well known in the UK than they are in America whereas a top NFL player could walk the streets of the UK without anybody having any idea who they are, I think that just goes to show just how different the sporting scenes are each side of the pond. Currently the US sporting national I have interest in is Matt Miazga, he has recently signed for my club and I hope he fulfils his potential and becomes one of our best players.
Most top American football players in the USA are exactly the same, walking down the street they are just a big guy. It is the basis for the book The Blind Side, it was only Michael Or's family story that saw Hollywood make a movie of it

Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That is certainly not a true statement. Unless you excelled a multiple sports including Soccer you should refrain from such a claim.
I was varsity/club in multiple sports including soccer (club, and all-state), and while I think the cardiovascular requirements are tops in soccer, it is the sport I played that required the least amount of varied skills and coordination.
Well, besides track, but that was just off-season.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:59 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Most top American football players in the USA are exactly the same, walking down the street they are just a big guy. It is the basis for the book The Blind Side, it was only Michael Or's family story that saw Hollywood make a movie of it
football players wear helmets and there are 22 of them in a large field.

the camera zooms in on lebrons face regularly and there are only 9 others on a small court.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The American consumer loves to consume American football above the others. American Football is a win-win-win for all for the following reasons:
  • Long games with frequent breaks for maximum product TV advertisement - maximizing product consumption
  • Requires massive amounts of sporting equipment - maximizing consumption of sporting goods
  • Slow pace of game enables presenters to spoon feed analysis to TV viewers

Since the sport is the most lucrative for media, the media powers that control every cultural choke point in America have ensured that American Football will be the most popular. American football is more about consuming than athletics - other than the organization which has been cemented in the schools, American Football is a game that is rarely played. It is mainly a TV show designed to maximize consumption of a variety of products and support a number of industries.
You forgot end zone dances, taunting after meaningless first downs late in games when down by 20, and the always alluring attraction of traumatic injuries.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was varsity/club in multiple sports including soccer (club, and all-state), and while I think the cardiovascular requirements are tops in soccer, it is the sport I played that required the least amount of varied skills and coordination.
Well, besides track, but that was just off-season.
I had to backtrack to see what my post was in reference to. That being said I was not plugging soccer in particular. I will call out anyone that knocks down the skill level of any sport. Generally speaking only 1 in 20 HS athletes will pocess the talent to play beyond HS. 1 in 50 to play Div 1. Those numbers vary by sport but in general are close. Usually negative comments regarding any sport come from those that lacked the talent to go to the next level..

Old 07-31-2016, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Morning all I was just wondering the above as a Londoner I'd guess it was between American football, baseball and basketball?

In the uk the most popular is football ( soccer ) by a million miles.
We all know for generations baseball was the All American sport but I think popularity now, probably Football is. Why, maybe it is because college football gets so much more attention than college baseball. Another reason; the length of the seasons and the number of games. I used to be a huge baseball fan, same as hubby. Our son was drafted by the Pirates in 1982. An injury ended his career. I am not sure it is even his favorite sport anymore. Of course his life revolves around the golf course. Of the 3 major spectator sports basketball is probably number 3 but all are hugely popular.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
For most Americans, soccer is too tame. Very little contact, very little scoring and doesn't require as many athletic skills.
But there is basketball, and baseball?

Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Out of interest how long is a AF game last? A soccer game is 90mins
It is four quarters of 15 min each, but lots of stoppages in between. In fact there is only several minutes of actual physical exertion. If you play at a large HS, then you only play one side meaning offense or defense and not both. So that cuts it down even more.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:40 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
I agree but ain't soccer making a rapid rise in USA?
As someone else mentioned, this could easily be mostly due to recent immigrants. I've been hearing for a long time that soccer is gaining popularity, but it really never does in the traditional American market or consciousness. It's not something most Americans can culturally relate to, and the MLS is insignificant and thus uninteresting compared to the other major leagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports