Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:10 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times

Advertisements

Football isn't going anywhere.

As a few mentioned earlier.....too many people making lots of money to close the sport down.

The players salary is paltry to what the owners, broadcasting stations and corporate bigwigs make on a yearly basis.

As long as there is money being made...the dangers/risks associated will always be pushed to the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 07:28 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

As a few mentioned earlier.....too many people making lots of money to close the sport down.

The players salary is paltry to what the owners, broadcasting stations and corporate bigwigs make on a yearly basis.

As long as there is money being made...the dangers/risks associated will always be pushed to the side.
Give Roger Goodell more time.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:

I can see where college football may eventually fail precisely because of the money involved.

And I can see where it could start with some high school district putting their foot down and saying, "Enough! This has nothing to do with education and it is costing a fortune!"
Sometimes it takes just one event to start the ball rolling.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:51 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:

Pretty sure there was a lot of money involved in Roman gladiator fights too. Yet society moved on from that blood sport.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:58 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
If football declines and ceases to exist (not going to happen), it won't be any time soon. Not in our lifetimes. The game will continue to evolve, however. That, I absolutely agree with. That is one reason why it continues to grow in popularity. It is the one sport that is able to change, adapt and continue to grow. That is how it will continue to a success and exist.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
If football declines and ceases to exist (not going to happen), it won't be any time soon. Not in our lifetimes. The game will continue to evolve, however. That, I absolutely agree with. That is one reason why it continues to grow in popularity. It is the one sport that is able to change, adapt and continue to grow. That is how it will continue to a success and exist.
Skins-
Just by reading your posts in this thread I think you may have your head buried in the sand. Less kids are playing football each year. If that trend continues it will have a drastic effect on the game in 20 years or less...

The game is not safe. As much as I loved it growing up I wouldn't want my kids to play this game knowing what we know now. Read A League in Denial or go watch The Concussion movie... You seem somewhat out of touch. Money isn't going to save the game if less and less kids play it.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Skins-
Just by reading your posts in this thread I think you may have your head buried in the sand. Less kids are playing football each year. If that trend continues it will have a drastic effect on the game in 20 years or less...
Show me how this trend has affected college football and the NFL in the last 10 years. Go ahead, I'll wait. After all, someone else pointed out that the % of kids dropping out of football rose from 8%- 10% in the last 10 years. So, as I said, how has this % affected football on a collegiate and pro level in those 10 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
The game is not safe. As much as I loved it growing up I wouldn't want my kids to play this game knowing what we know now. Read A League in Denial or go watch The Concussion movie... You seem somewhat out of touch. Money isn't going to save the game if less and less kids play it.
The game has never been safe Tom. If you are just now figuring this out, then you're the one who has had his head buried in the sand. I am not out of touch at all. I know how big money works, and I know the NFL is not going to cease to exist in our lifetime. Now, maybe soccer might become a little more popular. Of course, if you think soccer is safe, do a Google search on fractured leg injuries of soccer and see if you feel OK letting your child play that sport after viewing those gruesome injuries.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
What is a "safe" sport? Bowling? Golf? Yeah, but are they exciting?

Football isn't just a sport, it's entertainment. The rosters of the 32 professional teams limit the number of spots available and we could probably see a 20-30% drop in high school participation and it will have little to no effect on the NFL level.

There are far too many communities across the country where football is almost a religious experience. Those folks will not give it up and those kids will chose to play.

In the meantime, technology has to catch up as much as it can to make it safer. Coaching and training also have to catch up. There is a right way and a wrong way to play the game, I'd wager that there are enough pros who are playing the wrong way that contributes to the CTE problems.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:01 PM

I agree lunetunelover. You have an active 53 man roster. Not counting the practice squad, there are 1696 positions to be filled during an NFL season, and out of those 1696, maybe 960 of those guys actually play in the games. We still have millions of kids who play high school football, despite the percentage that were yanked by their parents. If only half of those players went on to play in college, that's still quite a large number of football players. It's likely the number of high school students who go on to play college football is naturally much lower than that. Still, there is never a shortage of players. IMHO, certain rule changes and advancement in protective technologies will be in place far before there ever becomes a shortage of college football players coming out and being eligible to be drafted by the NFL.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:27 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Being an non football fan I have always said that, one guy literally runs head first into another guy and its considered a good tackle. In Rugby you have to grab that guy and pull him to the ground for a good tackle. Teach players to tackle properly, not just run into each other head first.
The problem is that other guy is wearing body armor.If you try to wrestle rugby style then he will use his armor to spoil that attack by hitting you first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports