Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times

Advertisements

Please tell me there are some lacrosse fans on this board!! I don't really keep up with college, but MLL is coming up in two weeks. The league now has 9 teams with a new team in Atlanta. However, I'm a Charlotte Hounds and Ohio Machine (they came into the league the same time I started following) fan until a team reaches the Lone Star State.

I guess this can be the official thread for the "fastest growing sport in America"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 06:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Lacrosse is a team sport that I am interested in and have not followed. It is gaining exposure.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Lacrosse is a team sport that I am interested in and have not followed. It is gaining exposure.
It certainly is, I suggest you do start getting involved in following the leagues (MLL & NLL)! The NLL is nearing the playoffs. They too have 9 teams but the new commissioner is focused on getting NHL owners behind new expansion teams. He hopes to add 3-4 for the 2018 season. Dallas and Southern California have been heavily speculated, including a return to Edmonton.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
We have a team where I live but I know next to nothing about them. Friend of mine has tickets to a future game and he played in High School and on a club team in college so I might tag along with him. I'll also probably tune into a few games on TV.

Lacrosse is an interesting game, it's kind of like Football, Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer all rolled into one

Old 04-18-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
We have a team where I live but I know next to nothing about them. Friend of mine has tickets to a future game and he played in High School and on a club team in college so I might tag along with him. I'll also probably tune into a few games on TV.

Lacrosse is an interesting game, it's kind of like Football, Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer all rolled into one
I'm assuming the Charlotte Hounds? You should try and make some games and help grow the game!

Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
That is correct. Looks like June 9th is when we're going.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 AM

Four days until the new [MLL] season!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:45 PM

Three weeks into the 2016 MLL season, three teams remain undefeated at 2-0 (Chesapeake, Charlotte, New York). Charlotte was a league-worst 3-11 last year!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Just to put this into perspective..

The Mann Cup, the Canadian national lacrosse Men's championship trophy was first awarded in 1910. It is solid gold trophy, now valued at about $60,000.

It is still the Canadian national championship tournament, a best of 7 series.

We play two variations of the game....field lacrosse on a grass outdoor field, and box lacrosse played indoors, on a standard hockey rink( 200 feet long by 80 feet wide ).

The 2015 Mann Cup champions were the Vancouver Shamrocks, who defeated the Peterborogh Lakers.

This trophy is for amateur teams, not professionals.

The Toronto Rock are a part of the National Lacrosse League, eastern division.

Here in Canada, lacrosse was a popular "off season " sport for hockey players to keep in shape.

It's origins come from the Aboriginal game of bagattoway. Most popular with the woodland tribes of the Great lakes basin area. It was a form of mock warfare, with teams of more than a hundred on either side. Games lasted all day, and flowed back and forth between villages. The rules were simple, you couldn't strike anyone on the head, anything else was OK. The original lacrosse stick was called " A cross stick " by the French Jesuit missionaries, in the late 16th century in Quebec, and the name stuck. Made of ash, with deer sinew netting they are rare to see now, most are plastic .

Jim B.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:15 PM

I also try to keep up with the NLL. It looks like the league is finally getting on solid footing with their new commissioner and now expansion is become a reality. They relocated the defending champion Edmonton Rush to Saskatoon this past offseason and little Saskatoon has been producing sellouts! But he does hope Edmonton can get a team back, as do I. That'll be one of the first expansion targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports