Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,558,714 times

Advertisements

So, I turn on ESPN Sportscenter this morning. First thing I see are the hosts, two guys and two women.
OK, cool the women are nice to look at.

But their first "sports" highlight is about a show, that neither I nor probably 80-90% of us don't watch, Dancing with the Stars. And no, there wasn't any former sports star dancing either.
In any event, to show a celebrity dance show is not a "true sport" that Americans like to watch unless it's related to the Olympics, then I can understand.
Is it the female host factor on the show, IDK?
Let's take a look at the NFL since 2000. You can't even tackle people for fear of major injury or being penalized by a sensitive ref.
Look at the NBA since 2000, or since the 90s. It's all Euro-fied and non-physical. Fouls for everything.
Look at the MMA, hardly a bloodsport that it was in the 90s.
ESPN shows national spelling bees.
Just about everything in society has become about coddling and making guys more sensitive. In essence, feminizing them. I don't want guys weening on steroids or picking fights but society has gone too far.
FWIW, I am not a liberal democrat, not a republican, and not a Trump fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:59 AM

4,764 posts, read 3,260,470 times
No, not at all. Physically speaking today's athletes are bigger and stronger then ever before. Nothing wrong with increasing a little safety.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:19 AM

I would not say they are all bigger and stronger than a decade or two ago, or in general. Most pros today cry foul and can't take a hit or a foul because nowadays they are not used to it. While the pros from 15-25 yrs ago were used to physical play all game long.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 AM

Your wrong. It's in the food we eat growing up. The population in general is bigger then before. There is also a big increase in conditioning among athletes. I can tell you first hand. I am a retired college baseball coach, and you wont find a football or basketball coach anywhere that will tell you otherwise.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:19 PM

I am also affiliated with sports organizations and played college sports.

Being tall doesn't equate to being bigger and stronger. The conditioning won't help much when you eat junk food though.
If you think the food today is better than years back then our converation is over. There's more weird crap, preservatives, additives, GMOs, varieties of junk food, and food corporation lies than ever in supermarkets and fast food today.

I agree with you about the conditioning. Sure, you have some bigger, faster and stronger athletes that are anomalies. Sure, there are some phenomenal & ripped cross-fit guys doing ninja acrobactic stuff. Then again, guys are getting injured more today because they are doing too much cross training.

Just because today's athletes are conditioned and can do pilates, planks, etc. doesn't mean they are tougher. I think we, and everyone else, can debate what 90s, or 2000 team would beat the teams of today forever. But I'll take those 90s Cowboys teams or Steeler teams from the 80s over any NFL team today.

My main point is male athletes have become more woosies today from the media and believing all the possible injuries fi they decide to play. The safety and precautions have been taken to the extreme. I know why they are doing it, and it's for longevity. Good for the sport, good for the owner, and the fans.

Seriously, who do you know that actually got hurt riding a bicycle without a helmet or knee pads.

Last edited by frankrj; 04-26-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Bigger, stronger and faster is the difference.
You have your opinion, I gave you mine. Incidentally where are you on the NFL and concussions? Some of what is being learned now is from those who played back in the 90's. Today there is not much more that the NFL can do without destroying the game, but watch out if your a football fan. MLB is currently aiming at blacks with it's RBI (Restoring Baseball in Inner Cities) and it's Urban Youth Program, as well as lobbying the NCAA to increase the amount of scholarships. In the future that could be bad for keeping kids interests in playing football around much of the country.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 PM

Not arguing over hits and subsequent concussions or the new policy. Just how the little grabs, pushes and typical tackles aren't allowed in NFL or handcheck and normal fouls (now flagrant) in the NBA, yet in the NHL one can do anything...and punching goes on for a full minute, not seconds.

MLB and inner city? Not interested in baseball until late September, if that. With No Yankees or BoSox, it's not exciting enough.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:14 PM

The point I was making about baseball was this;
Many kids that excel in sports will choose the sport that can give them the most college money, especially in the African American community. If baseball is someday able to come close to football or basketball scholarship wise, you will see more HS age athletes opting out of football for baseball because of the growing health awareness that comes from football.
At any rate I would not equate concern for health and well being, as being woosified.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:30 PM

I don't think that will happen since "safety measures" are being taken in football. To them, the NFL has more stature, popularity, and certainly more commercial appeal than MLB. Yet the MLB will likely give you a longer career. I can understand your bias but you have to be objective. They need to achange some thing in the game to increase its popularity.

Last edited by frankrj; 04-26-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 02:58 PM

Not being bias, but more and more you hear parents saying they will not let their kids play football. Even former NFL players are saying it. I am of course a fan of the four major sports and hope Football remains at the level it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports