Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:18 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

What do you consider the most clutch moments in sports? Please account for the stakes. For example, a last second OT buzzer beater in the NCAA Championship game is more "clutch" than a buzzer beater made in the Sweet 16. Likewise, a last second TD pass in the Super Bowl to win the game is more "clutch" than a winning TD pass in the AFC Wildcard game. Sure, a winning TD pass in the wildcard game is nothing to sneeze at, but we're talking about the biggest moments on the biggest stages here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:24 PM

Here's one.

Biggest stage in the sport - Centre Court , Wimbledon Final

Stakes - No. 1 ranking/change in guard, Bjorn Borg's Wimbledon record

Backstory: No. 1 vs No. 2. Clash of the two greatest Superpowers the sport has ever known. The winner of the match becomes No. 1. Federer was supposedly invincible at Wimbledon and is trying to accomplish what no man has ever done: win 6 Wimbledon titles in a row. Nadal comes into Federer's "house" and takes a commanding 2-1 set lead. Nadal hits a clutch shot to earn championship point. Federer is backed into a corner. His margin for error is zero. Nobody can believe what's happening. The pressure is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegHMhTqw78

Old 05-04-2016, 06:28 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,372 times
I think you nailed it. I think something is more clutch when more is riding on the line. If it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals and the clock is down past 15 seconds, it becomes the biggest of the biggest feat to pull off a game winner. The whole city is riding on you. You win for us, you lose for us.

In football, I'd say it's still clutch, but less so. The wide receiver doesn't have the choice on whether he's going to be the game winning recipient. The quarterback decides who he throws to. Same with the kicker of a field goal. He doesn't have the choice either. His time comes and he has to either embrace it or dread it.

To me, the super clutch player makes a conscious decision that I'm going to make the shot, win or lose.

The only exceptions would be a role player who is in the right place at the right time or a player who isn't the best shooter, but puts the city and team and all the stress on his back and makes the shot. You be like, he never makes that shot! Holy cow, he did it! But that's clutch for the wrong reasons. Or dumb luck, etc. A blind pig gets a cob of corn once in awhile lol.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I think you nailed it. I think something is more clutch when more is riding on the line. If it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals and the clock is down past 15 seconds, it becomes the biggest of the biggest feat to pull off a game winner. The whole city is riding on you. You win for us, you lose for us.

In football, I'd say it's still clutch, but less so. The wide receiver doesn't have the choice on whether he's going to be the game winning recipient. The quarterback decides who he throws to. Same with the kicker of a field goal. He doesn't have the choice either. His time comes and he has to either embrace it or dread it.

To me, the super clutch player makes a conscious decision that I'm going to make the shot, win or lose.

The only exceptions would be a role player who is in the right place at the right time or a player who isn't the best shooter, but puts the city and team and all the stress on his back and makes the shot. You be like, he never makes that shot! Holy cow, he did it! But that's clutch for the wrong reasons. Or dumb luck, etc. A blind pig gets a cob of corn once in awhile lol.
Yeah, the thing with basketball and football is that we never really get the ultimate matchup in the Finals or the Super Bowl. Maybe Magic vs Larry Legend is the closest we've come in the NBA. Jordan disposed of an after his prime Magic, Drexler, Barkley, Malone, Stockton and Kemp, who were all great players in their own right, but could never really pose that much of a threat to Jordan's Bulls. It would have been cool if Lebron had a better team and met Kobe in the Finals.

The Brady/Manning AFC games weren't all that memorable imo. I suppose the most clutch play in recent memory was Eli Manning's pass to David Tyree.

Can't think of any World Series Game 7s that have come down to one pitch.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:46 PM

175 posts, read 202,077 times
I take it by clutch moments you guys are talking last minute plays that win a game or a championship etc.

We've had some pretty good ones over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPmZeHxWR58

This one is from a football league playoff semi final. Last minute penalty miss From Leicester city and Watford go straight up the other end to win it. Cue chaos and fans losing their minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuB8k8qGp8

Another football/soccer one. Last minute goal to save Birmingham city from relation to the doldrums of English football. Decent view from the crowd and Birmingham fans belt out a proper anthem.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:52 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Doesn't get more clutch than Butler's INT off Wilson to win the super bowl.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM

175 posts, read 202,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's one.

Biggest stage in the sport - Centre Court , Wimbledon Final

Stakes - No. 1 ranking/change in guard, Bjorn Borg's Wimbledon record

Backstory: No. 1 vs No. 2. Clash of the two greatest Superpowers the sport has ever known. The winner of the match becomes No. 1. Federer was supposedly invincible at Wimbledon and is trying to accomplish what no man has ever done: win 6 Wimbledon titles in a row. Nadal comes into Federer's "house" and takes a commanding 2-1 set lead. Nadal hits a clutch shot to earn championship point. Federer is backed into a corner. His margin for error is zero. Nobody can believe what's happening. The pressure is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegHMhTqw78

Talk about keeping your head under pressure! The mans a legend, decent guy and undeniable talent.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:27 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
1949/50 Stanley Cup Final
Detroit Red Wings v New York Rangers
Game 7 - Double OT

Pete Babando scores the game winner. Most impressive as he only scored 6 goals all season. This old newsreel clip was on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yqSuyEqid0

Old 05-08-2016, 05:07 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
Aaron Rodgers game winning touchdown pass to Randall Cobb to eliminate the Chicago Bears from playoff contention after Rodgers returned from his collarbone injury.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Doesn't get more clutch than Butler's INT off Wilson to win the super bowl.
I thought about that, but that game will always be more memorable for Pete Carroll's idiotic decision to throw the ball rather than Malcolm Butler's heroics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports