Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:46 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,560,536 times

Advertisements

Thiem just beat Federer at grass court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:44 PM

3,760 posts, read 2,970,332 times
And Thiem lost to German veteran Florian Mayer - who won the Halle tournament!
Other news, Murray has successfully defended Queens:

Murray Achieves History In London | ATP World Tour | Tennis

Anything can happen at Wimbledon, esp in the 1st week with the grass very fast and upsets galore, but a 1 vs 2 final looks on the cards again.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:50 AM

680 posts, read 646,940 times
I'm hoping that Thiem at least reaches the semi-finals at Wimbledon. Of course I'm hoping that Federer can put something together but I don't think he'll have the success that he had last year. I'll also add that I think Zverev is capable of putting together a little run but I think will be another 1 v 2 final in the end.

I've been throughly impressed with Thiem's game as well as Zverev at times. I watched the Thiem v Zverev match at Roland Garros and that first set was an impressive level of tennis.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM

What's Nadal's status? How come no one is talking about him as far as his potential opponents at Wimbledon?

Old 06-25-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
What's Nadal's status? How come no one is talking about him as far as his potential opponents at Wimbledon?
Nadal is not playing at Wimbledon this year, due to a wrist injury.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/sp...awal.html?_r=0

Old 06-26-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Nadal is not playing at Wimbledon this year, due to a wrist injury.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/sp...awal.html?_r=0
He was sad and disappointing having to miss French Open, but I think he is relieved and okay having to miss Wimbledon.

It's not like he has a chance of winning Wimbledon these days.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
He was sad and disappointing having to miss French Open, but I think he is relieved and okay having to miss Wimbledon.

It's not like he has a chance of winning Wimbledon these days.
Nadal is pretty much a non-factor at Wimbledon now, more so than Federer is at the French. (which he missed this year to train for Wimby).
Play starts today!
The Draw is on the Wimbledon website:

Draws - The Championships, Wimbledon 2016 - Official Site by IBM

Old 06-26-2016, 06:24 PM

5,428 posts, read 4,434,183 times
Djokovic is the favorite.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:15 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,219,587 times
If I had to make a prediction, I'd probably pick Andy Murray to win with Novak Djokovic a close second. You can tell Murray is very hungry for another Slam championship, and I think Djokovic will ease off the gas pedal just a bit now that has won the career and non-calendar year Grand Slam.

Alexander "Sascha" Zverev has really stepped up his game this year; I think a lot of that has to do with his serve getting harder/faster (which itself has to do with him growing into his body). I was really surprised the 19 year old was able to beat Federer on grass at Halle, especially after Federer took the 2nd set in the best of 3 sets. (It should be noted another very promising young player, 18 year old Taylor Fritz*, gave Federer a tough match at the other Wimbledon warm-up tournament Federer played this year.)

Zverev is starting to separate himself a bit from Borna Coric (who is about 5 months older than Zverev) among the top 1996 and later DOB young guns on the ATP Tour. Fritz, who is about 6 months younger than Zverev, has struggled a bit after a very strong start to the year immediately after he turned pro, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Fritz make a noticeable move up the rankings himself ala Zverev (who is now in the top 30 and is a seeded player at a Grand Slam for the first time at this year's Wimbledon tournament) in the next 6-12 months.

*Fritz received a tough draw at Wimbledon, drawing Stan Wawrinka in the first round; the American youngster fell to the Swiss star in 4 sets.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:33 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,219,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
I've been throughly impressed with Thiem's game as well as Zverev at times. I watched the Thiem v Zverev match at Roland Garros and that first set was an impressive level of tennis.
I (unfortunately) didn't watch too much of the French Open this year due to the time difference, the Paris weather, and my own schedule, but I did see that first set of Thiem and Zverev in Paris and I agree it was high quality stuff. The 22 year old Thiem has really been coming into his own this year, and though I don't see him winning a Slam in the immediate future (i.e. the remainder of this year), I think he can repeat his Roland Garros semifinal run at Wimbledon. Thiem could play Zverev in the 4th round - Zverev would probably have to get past Tomas Berdych to get there, and Berdych beat Zverev in a couple tight matches, including a Davis Cup match, earlier this year - and possibly Stan Wawrinka in the quarterfinals to get to the semifinals and a possible match with Andy Murray.)

I already discussed the 19 year old Zverev in a previous post a few minutes ago, but I'll add that it is good to see fairly young players like Thiem, Zverev, and the 21 year old Nick Kyrgios (who I don't like because of his antics the last 12-18 months but I do think is starting to really put things together) make some noise on the men's tour. The 1989-1994 batch of players has collectively been underwhelming in their careers, but Thiem is showing signs he'll be a solid representative for his generation of players, if not at the level of the great (roughly) 1984 to 1988 class of players that includes Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray (and Wawrinka, Berdych, Jo-Willie Tsonga, Juan Martin del Potro, and a few other high quality players).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports