Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 05:55 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,147,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post

4. Hockey is roller derby on skates. Fighting and beating up players. I had an occasion to attend the Winter Olympics and there was just hockey with no fighting, no grabbing just great hockey and fun to watch.

After a lifetime of being an avid sports fan I no longer watch or care except Soccer which my new family loves and there are no commercial stoppages. Yayyy
LOL..your credibility went to zero with this comment. Clearly you watch NO NHL hockey. Fighting has been taken out of the game almost completely..and the play has become wide open with interference and holding less than ever. I actually hate the game now BECAUSE all that got taken out. Give me old 70's / 80's hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:40 AM

16,252 posts, read 10,380,654 times
"I could care less" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:50 AM

And a football game never took 2 hours to play. what utter nonsense. DVR is the easy solution.

Why do people constantly complain about athlete's salaries but movie stars, musicians and TV personalities appear to be off limits? Bill O'Reilly makes $20 mil/year. Matt Lauer make $25 million. And their careers are a lot longer than an athlete. Where's the outrage? Are you boycotting the news in protest too? Will you never watch another movie because Robert Freaking Downey made, I'm not kidding, $80,000,000 in 2015?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:50 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,306,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
"I could care less" doesn't mean what you think it means.
After reading the posts I think the OP means, "I couldn't care less".

Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
After reading the posts I think the OP means, "I couldn't care less".
Of course that's what he meant. I never understood why this was ever an expression and why people continue to use it. Same with "falling head over heals". If you head is over your heals you are walking down the street.

Just so weird.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,979,941 times
I'll agree about the NFL. I stopped watching a few years ago. More replay/highlight time is spent on celebrations than good plays. And announcing has gotten downright stupid. The other major sports are still fine, although I am admittedly only a playoff watcher for NHL/NBA. Still watch a good amount of baseball and college hoops/football.

As far as money goes, if the players weren't making it, it would just go to the owners, so I have no issue with players making whatever they can. Then again, I have no issue if highly-paid "stars" can't find a job after a season or two of underperforming. A good example would be Mike Trout, who would easily be worth $30 mil/year once he hits free agency since he's the only reason to show up or watch that dumpster fire of a team.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:10 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,609,803 times
Good OP. Hopefully this means you show up less and less around the Bills forum with your constant negative nancy attitude.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:14 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,387,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'll agree about the NFL. I stopped watching a few years ago. More replay/highlight time is spent on celebrations than good plays. And announcing has gotten downright stupid. The other major sports are still fine, although I am admittedly only a playoff watcher for NHL/NBA. Still watch a good amount of baseball and college hoops/football.

Sskink, you can't give up on the NFL. A true NFL fan shouldn't. It's the stupid rules which is the issue.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,979,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Sskink, you can't give up on the NFL. A true NFL fan shouldn't. It's the stupid rules which is the issue.
Rules have little to nothing to do with it for me. I just can't watch it anymore for the reasons I mentioned.

Was a Jets fan for 40 years. Usually always finished top 5 in my fantasy league for 15 years, winning a couple. Before 24 hour sports channels, I wouldn't go to bed before George Michael's Sports Machine was over at midnight.

I think the start of my detaching from it was moving to Pittsburgh when both the Pens and Pirates were not very good in the early 2000s. Steelers talk and press was suffocating and insufferable. It was like nobody around here had anything else to do or look forward to. And it just got worse from there - by the end of the decade I just found other things to do with my Sundays.

It's liberating. There's all sorts of other great stuff I can do with my time now. Feels like I gave up heroin or cigarettes, lol.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:17 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,387,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Rules have little to nothing to do with it for me. I just can't watch it anymore for the reasons I mentioned.

Was a Jets fan for 40 years. Usually always finished top 5 in my fantasy league for 15 years, winning a couple. Before 24 hour sports channels, I wouldn't go to bed before George Michael's Sports Machine was over at midnight.

I think the start of my detaching from it was moving to Pittsburgh when both the Pens and Pirates were not very good in the early 2000s. Steelers talk and press was suffocating and insufferable. It was like nobody around here had anything else to do or look forward to. And it just got worse from there - by the end of the decade I just found other things to do with my Sundays.

It's liberating. There's all sorts of other great stuff I can do with my time now. Feels like I gave up heroin or cigarettes, lol.
Maybe then you shouldn't watch college football either if you don't like football. Just saying. College football, IMO, is even slower.

Besides, all sports leagues have their weaknesses, whether professional or college. Giving up watching NFL is NOT being a true sports fan, just saying. If you don't like the announcing in the NFL, mute the TV. If you don't like the advertisements, switch the channel.

What's liberating about the NFL is Goodell's ideas. He's going to continue to ruin football.
Remember Bud Selig from MLB? I lot of baseball fans don't like him for what he has done to Major League Baseball.
What I do like what he did for them was instant replay because if an umpire makes a bad call he needs to review it.

Besides have you ever watched Arena football? It's really neat and I've only been to one indoor football game.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 07-04-2016 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports