Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,587,152 times

Advertisements

Hockey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 03:10 PM

6,464 posts, read 8,153,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Motorsport guys are fit, but hardly athletes as such. Stick and ball athletes have too much down time. The big3 in the US have more bench time than playing time - even soccer is mostly walking around. Cyclists, x-cross skiers, triathletes have zero rest breaks. You race for 5 hrs it's 5hrs with no TV breaks, time-outs, and half times. The training is brutal.
Racing drivers have excellent reaction time and eye–hand coordination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDQatnFUA3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE94nHsAD0Y

Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,947,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Racing drivers have excellent reaction time and eye–hand coordination.

about the same as a professional video game player

Old 06-28-2016, 06:48 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,212,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yes, Ill give you credit that MMA fighters are generally in great shape and are generally quite strong. But, they just fight. Thats it. Most sports have all the same exact attributes as MMA fighters, but they compete in sports that require sometimes daily games/matches/races, that last hours upon hours, at full speed. MMA is mostly dancing and jabs, with some ground n pound action. They wouldnt last 10 miles on an easy Tour de France stage. Their idea of "stamina" is quite laughable to me. Being confined in a small cage and basically hopping around at slow speeds and taking jabs at one another isnt anything special.
I said martial arts.

YOU said MMA. I assume you mean UFC stuff. The Korean style arts I practiced required TONS of endurance.

Oh, and if you don't think 3 minutes in the ring requires endurance, talk to a boxer.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 AM

12,335 posts, read 8,065,345 times
The unanswerable questions are how we rate different athletic achievements. There is an attempt in the scoring systems of the decathlon and modern pentathlon of the Olympic events. But then the endurance based athletes laugh at the 1500 meters or a swim as a test. Those based upon power or balance laugh at what an Iron Man champion shows.

For a balance of skills shown my vote would be an American football outside linebacker. But then I grew up watching NFL Films shows on Saturdays and they were produced so well at one point as a boy I thought that the most noble profession a man could have was being a running back

Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,651,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Tennis. Think Djokovic and Nadal.
This.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:03 PM

6,464 posts, read 8,153,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
about the same as a professional video game player
It is not like pro gamers have to deal with 4.5G when breaking or nearly 4G when cornering, like in F1. That is massive g-forces for over 90 minutes. The F1 cockpit temperature during the Singapore GP is around 60 C / 140 F. I would like to see a pro gamer experience that. Playing a game has no serious consequences. One little error in the Isle of Man TT and you are dead.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:47 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,594,063 times
Interesting thread and comments.

I would lean towards athletes that are involved in a game of some sort over gymnasts, decathletes, cyclists or triathletes. While those are physically demanding, and can be incredibly demanding mentally from a pain and endurance standpoint, they do not offer any challenge with regard to circumstances that are constantly changing, or constantly changing strategy.

I'd probably lean towards basketball as having the perfect mix. Another good one, maybe a read option QB. A guy like Russell Wilson or Cam Newton.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:55 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,947,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It is not like pro gamers have to deal with 4.5G when breaking or nearly 4G when cornering, like in F1. That is massive g-forces for over 90 minutes. The F1 cockpit temperature during the Singapore GP is around 60 C / 140 F. I would like to see a pro gamer experience that. Playing a game has no serious consequences. One little error in the Isle of Man TT and you are dead.

in that case, I vote for lumberjack

Old 06-30-2016, 11:06 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,741,540 times
Boxing. You must be in peak physical condition as well as mentally focused. Having trained amateur boxers for the better part of two decades I have had athletes from a majority of other sports walk through the door and confess that boxing was the toughest workout they had ever endured. That was coming from basketball players, hockey players, wrestlers, football players, rugby players, track and field, and swimmers. During my time in the military the members who performed at the top of their annual PT tests were often soccer players. You don't see any fat soccer players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports