Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:53 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
What I do not understand is why NBC gave ZERO minutes coverage on Chinese women gymnasts last night. They showed some performance from teams of Russia, Brazil, UK, and Uzbekistan, but nothing from China. The Chinese team got the 2nd position and there must have been some good performances.
China (& Great Britain & Russia along with USA) will be in the Final Rotation for the Women's Team Competition on Tuesday night. They will get lots of airtime. (Which is probably why they showed a handful of human interest stories on Brazil and the Uzbek girls last night).

Ironically, Chinese (& Great Britain & Russian) female gymnasts will get WAY more TV exposure (on NBC) than most US athletes will receive (in other sports).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
There are many channels to watch coverage on! I'm rotating between NBC, MSNBC, USA, BRAVO, and NBCSN. You can also watch coverage on Telemundo and BBC.
I agree. I have the DVR set to record 10-15 hours of coverage per day (on 4-5 different stations).

I watch tennis matches in 8-10 minutes. Basketball games in 4-6 minutes. Soccer Matches in 4-6 minutes. Same with Beach & Regular Volleyball.

I blow thru the swimming prelims, but watch the lead up & the Finals of swimming events.

Interestingly, some events I didn't think I'd have an interest in, I watched alot of. (Like the Cycling races and the Archery).

Old 08-08-2016, 01:09 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Interestingly, some events I didn't think I'd have an interest in, I watched alot of. (Like the Cycling races and the Archery).
Same here! I've watched rugby, fencing, archery, table tennis, canoeing, dressage, road cycling ... events I've never made a specific effort to sit down and watch, but have thoroughly enjoyed over the past three days. I'm like a robot with my remote control, dashing between channels with fury.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:25 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
I haven't watched any of it yet. Typically the coverage sucks.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
I think the overhead roving camera that they position just in front of the swimmer as they are coming at you was the first time I've seen them used in that sport and is a pretty neat effect.

new robotic technology is also enhancing the underwater shots of the swimmers

Underwater Olympics shots are now taken by robots | Money - WPTZ Home

they are also going to be using drone cameras to film the rowing events that will offer a better perspective than the traditional side view

Rio Olympics TV innovations include VR, drones, HD, online streaming - Business Insider

Old 08-08-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I haven't watched any of it yet. Typically the coverage sucks.
The coverage on the Cycling event was pretty amazing.

- From telling us which racers would make a move going uphill (& which would s*ck). (they nailed it)
- To telling us why the racers might want to be a little more cautious going downhill (especially with a little drizzle that had begun) & then moments later bikes are skidding & then flipping into into stone walls.
- To telling us that the 3 racers who were 35 seconds behind (which is a lot) with less than 4 miles to go, actually had a 50/50 chance of catching up with the lone American in first. (they passed her with less than 50 yards left... like she was standing still).
- Watching those final 4 miles took 10 minutes or so... & it was as if the American cyclist was the Bengal Defense... and the other 3 cyclists were Joe Montana (who takes over the ball down by 4 with 2 min. left & 80 yards to go). You were hoping for the American, but you KNEW that Montana was going to score with one second left on the clock. It hurt.

But it was compelling, "edge of your seat" TV for the final 30-45 min. (& I don't know squat about cycling)

They also did a nice job on the Men's swimming relay last night. Great event, great performances (by the US men) & high drama.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:21 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well it wouldn't be the first time that the Chinese used underage gymnasts
Maybe but you have no evidence. So it is a theory at best.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Maybe but you have no evidence. So it is a theory at best.
LOL --- a panda doesn't change its spots

China stripped of medal; gymnast found to be underage – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Old 08-08-2016, 04:50 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
This was Sydney Olympics, quite a long time ago. We are talking about Rio.

Numerous American athletes were caught doping in the past, including some top performers in track & field. But should we assume all American athletes are doping in Rio?

Old 08-09-2016, 06:44 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Don't worry OP, I'm sure Obama will soon apologize for our Olympians doing so well, and for the ethnocentric American people who cheered them on.

Yes, I am sure many think that the 'a world with no barriers' theme is just about overcoming personal barriers to greatness ... but some of us hear it quite a different way these days and it comes off sounding quite 'political' unfortunately.

For the most part, I have enjoyed watching much of the actual competition but the opening ceremonies made me rather sick to my stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports