Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:35 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,988 times

Advertisements

It is off topic but I think there should be no age limit.
If a 14 year old can compete, let her compete. We all know these girls started training at a very young age, so there is no point to let them wait if they are good enough,

Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It is off topic but I think there should be no age limit.
If a 14 year old can compete, let her compete. We all know these girls started training at a very young age, so there is no point to let them wait if they are good enough,
well, basically when a hand of western countries decide it is too young, then it is too young.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, basically when a hand of western countries decide it is too young, then it is too young.
Yes, we have this silly concern with the health of children -- unlike some bloated, overpopulated, collectivist dictatorships I could name, where they burn coal for heat and continue to manufacture steam locomotives, dump chemical waste openly into the rivers, and employ tens of millions of children in sweatshops and factories with little or no safety or environmental standards.

Just because such countries were late joining the modern world, is no excuse for their repeating the worst abuses of the Industrial Revolution in the twenty-first century.

So yes. Children are not slaves. Pretty basic concept...

Old 08-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yes, we have this silly concern with the health of children -- unlike some bloated, overpopulated, collectivist dictatorships I could name, where they burn coal for heat and continue to manufacture steam locomotives, dump chemical waste openly into the rivers, and employ tens of millions of children in sweatshops and factories with little or no safety or environmental standards.

Just because such countries were late joining the modern world, is no excuse for their repeating the worst abuses of the Industrial Revolution in the twenty-first century.

So yes. Children are not slaves. Pretty basic concept...
What a stupid comment. Sometimes the hatred and bias against China are hilarious.

You think American girls are not trained since very young?

China has a one child policy and these girls are very likely to be their parents' only child, and I am sure they are treasured in their family too.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
What a stupid comment. Sometimes the hatred and bias against China are hilarious.

You think American girls are not trained since very young?

China has a one child policy and these girls are very likely to be their parents' only child, and I am sure they are treasured in their family too.
No hatred; no bias. And no hilarity. There is nothing in my post that is not literally true. I have lived and worked in China and seen these things with my own two eyes. Tell me: If you treasure your children so, why do you want to take away their childhood and make them employees of the state? You've got nearly a billion and a half people, after all. Surely observing standards of common decency regarding children is not too much to ask...

Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
No hatred; no bias. And no hilarity. There is nothing in my post that is not literally true. I have lived and worked in China and seen these things with my own two eyes. Tell me: If you treasure your children so, why do you want to take away their childhood and make them employees of the state? You've got nearly a billion and a half people, after all. Surely observing standards of common decency regarding children is not too much to ask...
We Chinese (and other East Asians) believe in hard work since childhood. It is VERY COMMON for normal teenagers to study over 10 hours a day.
In high school, studying over 12 hours a day without weekends is normal too.

So although these young athletes had a hard childhood, it is nothing weird. And they can enjoy their earlier achievement later in their life.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
We Chinese (and other East Asians) believe in hard work since childhood. It is VERY COMMON for normal teenagers to study over 10 hours a day.

So although these young athletes had a hard childhood, it is nothing weird. And they can enjoy their earlier achievement later in their life.
I don't blame you for not addressing my previous post, and going in a different direction. You have no reply.

No one believes young people shouldn't study or work hard. But only you seem to believe they should be slaves of their government -- which is sadly logical, given your collectivist world-view.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

Quote:
I don't blame you for not addressing my previous post, and going in a different direction. You have no reply.

No one believes young people shouldn't study or work hard. But only you seem to believe they should be slaves of their government -- which is sadly logical, given your collectivist world-view.
i am not going to disparage the asian point of view in childhood development, as it is a cultural issue as much as anything else. and it works for them very nicely thank you.

that said, i do believe that there does need to be a lower age limit for participation in the olympics, and i think 14-15 should be the heard lower limit. as long as the parents can prove their child is at least the minimum age to participate, then i have no issues.

it is natural for some people to look much younger than they actually are, and asian women are the rule on that.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Well, if you have difficulties in seeing connections between statements: the young athletes in China do not have a much tougher time than other children. They stay in team China on their free will and no one kidnapped them. They can leave if they do not want to stay there, and a thousand other children (and their parents) want that position.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
So the contention is that Asian women look much younger than their Western counterparts? Odd thing though. I watched the Olympics and saw other Asian gymnasts and they didn't look anywhere near as young as the Chinese gymnasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports