Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
Narcissists and sociopaths lie like it's second-nature. Lochte seems pretty narcissistic to me... (BTW the crying in this video is due to laughter.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnceMoPtVfE
Ever face a loaded gun? It's easy to think it's pointed right at you.

I don't think peeing on a restroom wall should require drawn weapons from a rent-a-cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:40 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

I don't think peeing on a restroom wall should require drawn weapons from a rent-a-cop.
The security video shows them breaking a restroom door. The service station workers heard the noise and went to the restroom door.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:52 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Once a d-bag, always a d-bag.

Neeever liked lochte always rubbed me the wrong way just looking at him.

Nice of him to leave town and let his teammates face the music.

Typical.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Lyin' Ryan Lochte and his pals have been given the finger by the U.S. Olympic Committee, which has apologized for their misrepresentations.
My personal feeling is that it is deeply regrettable that the four athletes did not act like men instead of spoiled adolescents. The flamboyant lie was totally and completely unnecessary and off-the-walls, and it all went downhill from there. It could have been simply a minor embarrassment.

US apologises for swimmers' 'unacceptable behaviour' - BBC News

Excerpt from the NY Times:

Late Thursday night, American Olympics officials issued an apology.

“The behavior of these athletes is not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA or the conduct of the vast majority of its members,” said the statement, which was attributed to the organization’s chief executive, Scott Blackmun.

“On behalf of the United States Olympic Committee, we apologize to our hosts in Rio and the people of Brazil for this distracting ordeal in the midst of what should rightly be a celebration of excellence.”

But fear not, all will be well for them. Americans love their celebrities a little slimey, so they will be paid millions for whining interviews and then do bare ass covers for Vanity Fair.

These guys will be the new Kardashians.

Last edited by kevxu; 08-19-2016 at 03:19 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 03:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Suddenly being faced with four athletic men out of control and smashing things - if I had a gun on me, I would certainly take it out. No question about it.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
had the security guard fired his gun into the air, all four nincompoops would have immediately dived into the pavement

Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 AM

444 posts, read 324,144 times
They just touched down in Miami.

I did not think that was happen.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:21 AM

769 posts, read 782,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Bad conduct by the athletes but a security guard holding up a person at gun point and demanding immediate payment for damage - that's called robbery. I very much doubt any of that money found its way back to repair any damage.
What would happen in the US if a security guard did that?
Also I'm pretty sure that there was a language barrier. I doubt that the security guard with the drawn gun spoke clean English in the heat of the moment.

When faced with an agitated gun waving Portuguese yelling rent-a-cop in Rio, one can reasonably assume that this is a robbery.

But the guys had to embellish the story, leave out the embarrassing restroom detail and now they look like the fools that they are.

It's a classic lose lose scenario. The authorities in Brazil are also stupid to blow this up even more. If I was a tourist and a true victim of a street crime, I would be hesitant to report this now that we know that the Brazilians may confiscate my passport for an indefinite time and I do not want to be stranded in a foreign country.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times
Lochte is nothing more than a punk (for lack of a better word) IMO

Old 08-19-2016, 08:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Also I'm pretty sure that there was a language barrier. I doubt that the security guard with the drawn gun spoke clean English in the heat of the moment.

When faced with an agitated gun waving Portuguese yelling rent-a-cop in Rio, one can reasonably assume that this is a robbery.

But the guys had to embellish the story, leave out the embarrassing restroom detail and now they look like the fools that they are.

It's a classic lose lose scenario. The authorities in Brazil are also stupid to blow this up even more. If I was a tourist and a true victim of a street crime, I would be hesitant to report this now that we know that the Brazilians may confiscate my passport for an indefinite time and I do not want to be stranded in a foreign country.
You are making so many mistakes in this.

Of course the guards don't speak English. So what? They are in their own country. They have no obligation to speak a foreign language. It is the foreigners who have the duty to make themselves understood. Since when everyone in the world is required to speak English?

"one can reasonably assume it is a robbery"? How? You broke the door, smashed some windows, highly intoxicated, then some security guard came with guns, you automatically assume "oh, that must be a robbery since I have done nothing wrong"? Well, if I do the same thing in the US and the police came pointing guns at me, should I assume they are robbing me as well?

The swimmers did something shameful and tried to fabricate a story to cover that. That's the entire truth. There is no misunderstanding here. The Brazilians didn't "blow this up" - if some high profile athletes claim to have been robbed, it is their job to investigate. Their passports are confiscated because their stories are suspicious, and lying to the policy constitutes breaking the law. And just you know, like in the US, the law matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports