Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:06 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times

Advertisements

I was expecting to see more discussion on Tim Tebow, but I guess there's nothing to discuss. I have to say, I am disappointed with his decision to turn towards baseball, because it says something about his true passion. I had always thought his story was genuine, he was focused on his strong beliefs in his religion and himself. In a league plagued by thugs and drugs, here was this conscientious clean cut guy dedicated to God and football, in a sport that plays so well throughout the Bible belt, what's not to like. Although his talent never lived up to the expectations, his dedication to a powerful work ethic and team play and his popularity, you would have thought he would have had a chance with a team looking to him for a draw. I guess not. But he continued to persevere and kept trying year after year, never wavering, never compromising, which may have been his downfall.

Now he turns around and tries to break into another sport, what happened to that passion for football? He wasn't willing to change positions, he wasn't willing to play outside of the US, he wanted it all, to be a star QB for an American NFL team. Now he's willing to play winter ball in South America? Then take his chances with a minor league team? From the early reports of his tryout yesterday, same mediocre results, not good but not bad. The guy had his ten minutes of fame in sports, and it got him a nice gig in broadcasting, I imagine he makes decent money without getting beaten up. He goes around the country giving inspirational speeches, of someone who knows their calling and how his faith carries him during his tribulation. Too bad, he's just setting himself up for another disappointment. This move makes me question if he has a real passion for what he does or is he just another opportunist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 11:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
tebow was a two sport player in high school. he has given the NFL a chance, and would likely still sign a contract with a team willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth. i respect tebow and his work ethic, and the effort he puts forth. but in this day in age, you either perform or you dont. and unfortunately for tebow, he hasnt hit the level he needs to hit to play in the NFL, at least not on his terms.

and so far as i have heard at this point, he doesnt have the necessary skills to play at the MLB level either. 30 teams looked at him, 2 decided not to show, and at least two teams at this point have walked away.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:20 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
If he were not an outspoken Christian, he's still be in the NFL. You can't tell me he's not better than some of those yo yos on NFL rosters. He may make it as a baseball player- I hope he does.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:21 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
As a retired Baseball guy myself, I found it more amazing that all but 2 organizations sent scouts out to see Tebow, then Tebows reasoning why he wants this. Then again there were some scouts that thought Micheal Jordan had a shot at the Majors after a year of A-ball and Fall League ball.

As far as whats in Tebows head? No idea. He says money not an issue. He would certainly earn far more playing in the CFL then playing Minor League Baseball. Put is this way; Jill Stein has a greater chance of being elected President then Tebow playing Major League Baseball.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:22 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
II had always thought his story was genuine, he was focused on his strong beliefs in his religion and himself.

That sentence means he can never be totally devoted to football, which in the long run is just a game and inconsequential in the grander scheme of things. It may be that God is calling him to something else entirely.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
If he were not an outspoken Christian, he's still be in the NFL. You can't tell me he's not better than some of those yo yos on NFL rosters. He may make it as a baseball player- I hope he does.
He isn't. Not at QB anyway, and he refused to switch positions.

He doesn't have any good baseball skills either.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That sentence means he can never be totally devoted to football, which in the long run is just a game and inconsequential in the grander scheme of things. It may be that God is calling him to something else entirely.
Yeah but, then why baseball? Being a p/t sportscaster gives him more time for his ministry than being a professional athlete.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
As a retired Baseball guy myself, I found it more amazing that all but 2 organizations sent scouts out to see Tebow, then Tebows reasoning why he wants this. Then again there were some scouts that thought Micheal Jordan had a shot at the Majors after a year of A-ball and Fall League ball.

As far as whats in Tebows head? No idea. He says money not an issue. He would certainly earn far more playing in the CFL then playing Minor League Baseball. Put is this way; Jill Stein has a greater chance of being elected President then Tebow playing Major League Baseball.
He's making far more money as a sportscaster than he ever will as a minor league player.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I think that's the telling part of his psyche, he didn't want to play in the NFL as much as he wanted to be a star of the team. Otherwise he had real opportunities to play in the pros, and most coaches agree he had skills to offer. Switching to baseball says his passion wasn't football, so is it competition, stardom, now it doesn't seem so clear.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:00 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Please give us your background of expertise on baseball? Or are you just anti Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports