U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:26 AM

6,564 posts, read 11,877,684 times

Advertisements

Americans dislike it because a certain segment of the American population sees it as the game the rest of the world pressures them to like, insists that they should like, looks down on them for not liking. Most of those who dislike it would not articulate it this way, but most of the dislike is unthinking, which is what is so very American about it. To them, soccer reeks of globalism, of what they imagine are zillions of our dollars lavished on poor countries whose own currency is worthless, and who probably are in cahoots with our many enemies (which they believe we did nothing to deserve) anyway. Thus, Americans revel in loving football, a game played in battle armor, even though football has far more dead time than soccer in my experience. The world mostly recoils at our football, thus Americans like it. It's just an expression of our basic xenophobia, a conclusion the world resists because it's too awful to process--that the world's most powerful nation truly has that many people who live up to all the stereotypes and are even worse than imagined.

Myself, I like women's soccer because the women aren't such bawl-babies and divers. It's a much better game. In the men's game, everyone's trying to pretend to be ready for the ICU to draw calls from the officials, and they scream and whine way too much. I find myself hoping that they all get authentic injuries, something to really bawl about. I think the women play just as hard but do it like grownups, and as played by them, it's a great sport.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 AM

7,405 posts, read 7,358,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
This is the most ignorant thing I've read all month. Not one single point in this post is valid or makes sense. Not even one! . I want to apologize to Europeans and South Americans because the poster is clearly very clueless about soccer (football) but feels the need denigrate the sports because "seeing one game means you've seen it all" and apparently the fact that the game is the most popular in the world including Mexico and third most popular in Canada, implies that everywhere but the US is uncomfortable and unfamiliar with individualism and freedom. And I forgot to add that our value system is better than the rest of the worlds...of course....So dumb!

Soccer: Game of Drones

Sports reflect the underlying societies. Societies that emphasize individual rights and freedom are superior to societies that support collectivism and statism. Sports that appeal to a superior society are going to reflect the same values of individualism and individual excellence within the team concept. Soccer is a game of drones. A worker bee ant colony type of game. Utterly boring, but appealing to worker bee societies and banana republics where the state and/or the church are supreme and the individual takes a back seat to the mob.

20 minutes of American football is more interesting than every soccer match ever played.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:18 AM

7,504 posts, read 15,962,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Sports reflect the underlying societies. Societies that emphasize individual rights and freedom are superior to societies that support collectivism and statism. Sports that appeal to a superior society are going to reflect the same values of individualism and individual excellence within the team concept. Soccer is a game of drones. A worker bee ant colony type of game. Utterly boring, but appealing to worker bee societies and banana republics where the state and/or the church are supreme and the individual takes a back seat to the mob.

20 minutes of American football is more interesting than every soccer match ever played.

Except statistically you need to watch 2 American Football games to get 20 minutes of action.

Football is a huge team sport but is full of individuality, your trolling is boring at best. Do you need to get in a huddle for 5 minutes and discuss your next post ?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 AM

6,798 posts, read 2,535,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I suspect most don't understand it -- a lack of familiarity. They think it's about chasing the ball around the field trying to kick it -- ie the U6 level of understanding. Once they understand the tactics and style of play going it, American football becomes boring in comparison. The other, which has some legitimacy, is the level of diving that occurs on the pitch. It's embarrassing to most athletes to see grown men wallowing around on the ground pretending to be in pain and then just jumping up like nothing happened. Take the hit like a man and get up.

Wow. Although soccer was never my sport of preference, I didn't really hate it until I read this very arrogant post. And I don't even know what U6 is.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:18 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Soccer is exciting enough for me, especially during World Cup. The games are intense as they whittle down their groups. The 90-minutes with no stoppage (45-min per half) is very unique to Americans, and is something I guess they can't get used to.

No hate here.
Yes not enough commercials.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:24 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

20 minutes of American football is a waste of one's life.
I guess this post is facetious.

Soccer is a game of skill, and as such, is universally played. Skilled individuals in the shanty towns of Africa to the capitals of Europe to the favelas of South America. It doesn't need special equipment, padding, or bowls of nachos or commercials. American Football is ok, but really its just a strategy game. There are only so many strategies. Individual players don't have such an effect on the outcome as brilliant individual skill in soccer. American Football fits in well with commercials and plenty of breaks for those with little attention and big hunger. It appeals to the teenager bored with everything after 20 mins.

There's a reason American Football hasn't really travelled outside the area where people initially grew up with it. Its something you get attached to in youth by being exposed to it, not because it has an intrinsic superiority, but it doesn't really win many others over later in life.

This is easy to see globally. And soccer is expanding, including in the US. American football isn't, its in a stasis.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,015,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Americans dislike it because a certain segment of the American population sees it as the game the rest of the world pressures them to like, insists that they should like, looks down on them for not liking.
And then you proceed to spend the rest of your post doing just that. It's like a self-fulfilling conclusion that can be summarized like so:

SOCCER FANS: "If you don't like soccer, you're a simpleton and a xenophobe."

NON-SOCCER FANS: *middle finger*

SOCCER FANS: "See?? I told you so!!"

Old 12-13-2016, 01:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,054,583 times
soccer is great! In football-loving Texas, it's rapidly becoming more popular, esp. in the cities. And this is not just because of immigration or proximity to Latin America - it's also because people are not letting their kids play football, soccer is seen as better exercize. Actually, I can think of a handful of young boys my kids age who play football but dozens of soccer players!

Old 12-13-2016, 01:16 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,322,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
soccer is great! In football-loving Texas, it's rapidly becoming more popular, esp. in the cities. And this is not just because of immigration or proximity to Latin America - it's also because people are not letting their kids play football, soccer is seen as better exercize. Actually, I can think of a handful of young boys my kids age who play football but dozens of soccer players!

Also, in response to the comments about soccer players diving, have you guys watched NBA games lately?

Old 12-13-2016, 01:53 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,251,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why do some people hate soccer?

I'll never understand it .... I hate people in every sport, but how can somebody hate a sport?

It's easy for impatient people to hate soccer. I just don't like it. The Beautiful Game, the World's Game, they can have it.

I love baseball, but I understand why impatient people hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or