U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM

2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Wow. Although soccer was never my sport of preference, I didn't really hate it until I read this very arrogant post. And I don't even know what U6 is.
U6 meaning ages 5 and 6 depending on what month of a given year they were born. By chasing the ball around the field the poster refers to "kick and run". I hate when I hear less knowledgeable coaches yelling at the full backs "Clear it", meaning kick the hell out of the ball instead of a nice pass to a midfielder, and tactically passing the ball around working towards the goal. It all starts in the back.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:11 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,449,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Soccer: Game of Drones

Sports reflect the underlying societies. Societies that emphasize individual rights and freedom are superior to societies that support collectivism and statism. Sports that appeal to a superior society are going to reflect the same values of individualism and individual excellence within the team concept. Soccer is a game of drones. A worker bee ant colony type of game. Utterly boring, but appealing to worker bee societies and banana republics where the state and/or the church are supreme and the individual takes a back seat to the mob.

20 minutes of American football is more interesting than every soccer match ever played.
what a waste of time. Carry on.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:43 PM

2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
what a waste of time. Carry on.
Yep! It is ok to not like a particular sport, but those that bash a sport are usually those that were not very athletic in their growing years.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:31 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why do some people hate soccer?

I'll never understand it .... I hate people in every sport, but how can somebody hate a sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfkeB09vso
I don't "hate" soccer, I just don't enjoy watching it very much. The main reason is that for someone used to a game like football where explosive plays are rather common, soccer has a lot of down time where guys just kick the ball around mid-field trying to save energy.

You also have the reality that in soccer most of what happens doesn't affect the outcome. The matches come down to the one guy that makes the most of his touch and gets it past the goal keeper. There is also the mentality that a 0-0 game is an OK outcome. I like defense in most sports, but soccer teams frequently don't play to win, they play not to lose.

It isn't like I don't try. I watched nearly all of the last World Cup final and enjoyed watching the quality of the athletes, and the continuous pace of play. But, sure enough, I had to slip out of the house for 10 minutes, and that is when the one goal that determined the match was scored.

Here would be this American's suggestions

1. Eliminate the offsides call, this would space the field and help eliminate the mass of humanity that crowds around the goal whenever the other team gets close and makes scoring so difficult.

2. Get rid of shoot-outs. It's like ending a football game with a field goal kicking contest, or a basketball game with a free throw exhibition. Keep playing the normal game until someone scores, if it takes 5 hours, then maybe teams will start to be a bit more aggressive with their tactics. Shoot-outs reward lesser teams for going into a defensive shell and holding out for higher variability in results the shoot-out rules provide. It isn't fun to watch a team refuse to try and score in the hope the keeper will guess wrong and jump out of the way of 4/5 of your shoot-out kicks.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:22 PM

85,981 posts, read 3,526,399 times
No reason to hate it. Many in this country just don't understand the game and have grown up with other sports.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,668,294 times
I do enjoy watching soccer-----I agree that many Americans do not have the patience to enjoy soccer. There are not a lot of scoring opportunities in the game, and scoring chances are built on a slow progression of moves and countermoves.
Americans seem to enjoy sports where the action is more continuous-----that is why another sport I love, baseball, seemed to decline in popularity a little over the past couple of decades. Baseball, like soccer, requires some patience to enjoy.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:35 PM

7,405 posts, read 7,360,683 times
I just can't watch it. It is literally like watching paint dry. It obviously takes athletic skill, but it is not intellectual and it just seems like its on a lower level than sports like football or baseball. It is boring in the same sense as hockey. Lot's of movement, but nothing is happening. It's kind of a game for the proles. And we see that in the fans also when they kill each other and crush each other at times during an "important" match. Ridiculous really. And not suitable for the American spirit or sense of life. It belongs in Europe and South America, it fits the collectivist mentality.

The only reason it has been gaining popularity here is that we have been importing, illegally in many cases, populations from other countries who are bringing it here with them. Otherwise it wouldn't have a chance on its own.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,055,224 times
Disagree with above! It's popular because it's fun, not as dangerous as football, kids get to play a lot and run around a lot, girls and boys play, etc. Yes, of course also because of immigration.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:36 PM

7,405 posts, read 7,360,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Disagree with above! It's popular because it's fun, not as dangerous as football, kids get to play a lot and run around a lot, girls and boys play, etc. Yes, of course also because of immigration.
Oh I'm totally fine with it as exercise, I just think it is an utter and complete bore to watch. Other people can watch it, that's cool. But for me, there is only one thing that can appear on television for which I will select PBS as the more interesting option, and that is the World Cup. PBS 1, Soccer 0, and the World Cup game, in its infinite dreariness, will likely conclude with the same score.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:03 AM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Soccer: Game of Drones

Sports reflect the underlying societies. Societies that emphasize individual rights and freedom are superior to societies that support collectivism and statism. Sports that appeal to a superior society are going to reflect the same values of individualism and individual excellence within the team concept. Soccer is a game of drones. A worker bee ant colony type of game. Utterly boring, but appealing to worker bee societies and banana republics where the state and/or the church are supreme and the individual takes a back seat to the mob.

20 minutes of American football is more interesting than every soccer match ever played.
I'll give you a better explanation

Soccer = Battle field
There's no time outs, everything goes to achieve the goal

Football = War with many battles
Every play is a new battle, battles only last 10-20 seconds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or