U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:53 AM

903 posts, read 514,426 times

Advertisements

I like the big tournaments (World Cup, UEFA), because it involves national pride and bragging rights. I don't really enjoy soccer as a sport, but more the fan fervor that goes into it. For the most part, its a boring sport to watch in my opinion. Also, the over-dramatic flopping is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing for a bunch of grown men.

I'd rather watch football, lacrosse, or hockey.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,756,518 times
20 years ago I kind of cared why some Americans hated soccer. Why? Because MLS was a brand new league and I was concerned that it would not make it.

But now that MLS has exceeded all expectations and soccer is a major sport in America (can vary by area), I could care less why anyone doesn't like it.

I grew up playing all the big American sports and didn't start playing and following soccer till 1995. By now it is my favorite sport and is interesting culturally and not merely a sport. Sophisticated, worldly people almost always fancy soccer above all others sports.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hmm yes lets change the rules of the worlds most popular sport (by far) so that people from one country might like it better, doesn't make much sense to me.
The advantage of a simple game with few rules is that there are nearly endless variations on how it can be played.

To me, the only thing in soccer that gets me excited are the (and pardon my terminology) the long ball counter strikes, where a teams is unbalanced, and a long pass ends up with 1 on 1, 2 on 2, etc. situations.

But.........nearly every time I see one, that little flag is waved and the action is stopped. Eliminate the mass of humanity around the goal, and you will see far less possessions end with the ball bouncing off a shin, and more shots that the keeper must stop. Let offensive players space the field, requiring defenders to go with them, and you have more chances for long passes and isolation type situations.

And as the other poster agreed, shoot-outs aren't in the spirit of the game. Whatever your opinion of soccer is, it is hard to see how the highly random outcomes produced by 5 penalty kicks on goal are anything other than a way to makes sure a winner is declared. No, I don't like ties, but I like weird tack-ons even less.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:52 AM

10,089 posts, read 10,604,044 times
Do you know what Brownian motion is? It's the random movements of microscopic particles suspended in a fluid. Picture watching popcorn pop in a transparent container.

That's pretty much what watching soccer is like. You know where the players need to get the ball: down to the end, where the goal is. What happens, though, is that they mosey this way and that way, they get closer to the goal, then they wander across the field or move farther away again. Every so often someone kicks it all the way out of the end zone or out of bounds and then they throw the ball back on the field.

All this time are they getting any closer to the object of the game, which is to put the ball in the net? Very, very rarely.

It's not just the low scoring, although it's even easier to lose interest once one team has built up an insurmountable 1-0 lead, it's the pointless, random motion around the field.

That's why I don't like watching it.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:25 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
20 years ago I kind of cared why some Americans hated soccer. Why? Because MLS was a brand new league and I was concerned that it would not make it.

But now that MLS has exceeded all expectations and soccer is a major sport in America (can vary by area), I could care less why anyone doesn't like it.

I grew up playing all the big American sports and didn't start playing and following soccer till 1995. By now it is my favorite sport and is interesting culturally and not merely a sport. Sophisticated, worldly people almost always fancy soccer above all others sports.
LOL...hooligans by any other name

Old 12-14-2016, 12:27 PM

7,405 posts, read 7,358,602 times
[quote=Back to NE;46503894]20 years ago I kind of cared why some Americans hated soccer. Why? Because MLS was a brand new league and I was concerned that it would not make it.

I grew up playing all the big American sports and didn't start playing and following soccer till 1995. By now it is my favorite sport and is interesting culturally and not merely a sport. Sophisticated, worldly people almost always fancy soccer above all others sports.[/quote]

Oh yes, I've always said that. I wish I could be sophisticated and worldly too. Then I could do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UIzjNkWcKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKSUnEWRGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY_8u_IrTTc

Or, if you just want to pick out your own favorite collectivist trash banana republic society mob scene, there are pages and pages and pages of SOPHISTICATED and WORLDLY people bashing, punching, crushing, mauling, and KILLING each other over this most elegant and enlightened of sports.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=S...occer+violence

Old 12-14-2016, 12:37 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,015,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

Also, in response to the comments about soccer players diving, have you guys watched NBA games lately?
Not even close to the same. While there is SOME genuine "flopping" going on in the NBA, much of what looks like a "flop" is the only realistic way to draw an offensive foul. You HAVE TO make yourself virtually defenseless, you HAVE TO make yourself vulnerable to being knocked over, because if you brace yourself for the impact or lean into it even an inch, YOU get charged with the foul. So if you want to draw an offensive foul, you have to allow yourself to get knocked over. Sometimes they take it to the point of melodrama, but what they DON'T do is flop around on the floor acting like they are in dire need of medical attention because somebody brushed them (or never even touched them at all) and then spring right back up moments later like nothing ever happened.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:01 PM

8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

The MLS is not a major sports league.
This year, MLB revenues grew by 1 MLS. ($500M). Its a degree of magnitude beneath the other 4.
41 Million people watched the World Series Gm 7, 1 Million watched the MLS Cup.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The MLS is not a major sports league.
This year, MLB revenues grew by 1 MLS. ($500M). Its a degree of magnitude beneath the other 4.
41 Million people watched the World Series Gm 7, 1 Million watched the MLS Cup.
You beat me to it. The MLS is not even close to a "major sport" in America.

As for the rest of the world I totally agree it's crazy to suggest we change the rules of the most popular sport in the world just for us. But let's get one thing straight: It is the most popular sport in the world because the rest of the world simply does not have the other options that we have in America. Pro Football, College Football and Basketball, MLB, the NBA, possibly the PGA and the NHL are all more popular than soccer and gives the American sports fan many more options than the sports fan in South America has.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:41 PM

14,806 posts, read 18,801,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It is the most popular sport in the world because the rest of the world simply does not have the other options that we have in America. Pro Football, College Football and Basketball, MLB, the NBA, possibly the PGA and the NHL are all more popular than soccer and gives the American sports fan many more options than the sports fan in South America has.
In 2006 USA ended in 3rd place in the World basketball championship
I'm pretty sure hockey is very popular in Europe
Unlike football, rugby has a World Cup every 4 years
USA has played in 3 World baseball classic and it's best finish was 4th place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or