Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite TV Sport?
NFL 23 31.94%
MLB 5 6.94%
NBA 7 9.72%
NHL 12 16.67%
NASCAR 8 11.11%
NCAA Football 6 8.33%
NCAA Basketball 4 5.56%
Golf 1 1.39%
Tennis 0 0%
Other (Please Specify) 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Its no surprise that the NFL is waaay out front in this poll. But what is surprising is that NHL Hockey is in 2nd place. I didnt think they even showed hockey on TV anymore and the sponsors/advertisers give it such little respect compared to the NBA and MLB. We have two hockey teams here in los angeles and we never see it on tv. Or maybe its because most people here hate hockey as it really has failed to capture the city like the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers and even the Galaxy for that matter. Heck the Ducks won the Cup and still not too many people are interested.
The problem is that Cali isnt the greatest market (its not horrible though). Alot of people there have never played ice hockey (due to, you know, lack of ice) and therefore arent interested. The Kings, Sharks and Ducks have loyal followers, but theyre probably mostly ex-northerners Im guessing, who took those teams under their wings when they moved.

Ive already posted in this thread regarding my favorite TV sport, but Ill say it again... NHL all the way. I cant watch any other sport w/o being bored silly anymore after becoming addicted to hockey (Blackhawks and Habs). Hockey is incredibly fast moving and full of action. NHL rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
We have two hockey teams here in los angeles and we never see it on tv.
Don´t forget the Long Beach Ice Dogs who plays in the ECHL.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
My favorite sport is def. NHL hockey. Baseball second. I don't watch basketball or football. Hockey still translates well on TV, but watching a hockey game live is an unique and exciting experience unlike any other sport. To me, watching NASCAR is like watching paint dry and watching golf is like watching grass grow.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I would like to ask the same about football?
Is reruns and commercial breaks really that funny?
I know you can't be serious. Football, especially the NFL, has to be without a doubt the best game to watch on tv. You can have any number of amazing things happen on any given play.

Now I can say going to a hockey game is fun. I have been to more than a few Hawks games but it's more about the fans and all the action away from the puck. Watching an NHL game on tv and just following the puck all game is just as bad as watching golf.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM

71 posts, read 208,382 times
It's got to be baseball. There's something about that same strategy every night in the summer of turning on the TV at seven to see the same guys you watch 162 times a year and hear the same voices calling the game. In traditional terms of excitement, baseball may not be the ideal TV sport, but it comes off as extremely tense and dramatic, and the routine that comes with it is nothing short of magical.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 PM

23 posts, read 92,885 times
Horse Racing.

The Kentucky Derby- The most exciting two minutes in sports.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:56 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Horse racing- more interest and intrigue than the other sports. Figuring out who is going to win is more fun than watching the same long game for 3 hours.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 PM

23 posts, read 92,885 times
Thank you Samyn on the green.

I was certain that my choice would quickly be criticized.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:07 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
I know you can't be serious. Football, especially the NFL, has to be without a doubt the best game to watch on tv. You can have any number of amazing things happen on any given play.

Now I can say going to a hockey game is fun. I have been to more than a few Hawks games but it's more about the fans and all the action away from the puck. Watching an NHL game on tv and just following the puck all game is just as bad as watching golf.
I am very serious.
One play in football doesn´t take many seconds, then there is 5 reruns on the play and a commercial break.
How is that fun and exciting?
I´d rather watch a regular football game.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:10 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I am very serious.
One play in football doesn´t take many seconds, then there is 5 reruns on the play and a commercial break.
How is that fun and exciting?
I´d rather watch a regular football game.
I completely agree. The ungodly amount of commercials in an NFL game makes it unwatchable. Sometimes they even run one play and cut to 3 or 4 minutes of commercials. This alone makes American football unwatchable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports