Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win: French Open - Mens tennis
Andy Murray 2 28.57%
Novak Djokovic 1 14.29%
Stan Wawrinka 0 0%
Roger Federer 2 28.57%
Rafael Nadal 2 28.57%
Kei Nishikori 0 0%
Milos Raonic 0 0%
Dominic Thiem 0 0%
Cilic, Tsonga, Dimitrov or Berdych 0 0%
Other/ outsider 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 PM

10,754 posts, read 4,344,063 times

Advertisements

Nadal, 27 winners and 12 unforced errors (and in the 1st Set he looked nervous and had 10 winners and 8 unforced errors).
Nadal's 2nd and 3rd sets are 2 of his best sets ever, immaculate quality.
And Nadal's level in Wawrinka's first service game of the 2nd set, is the highest level I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 01:26 PM

The big goal Nadal still has left to accomplish is win another Australian Open to complete the Double Career Grand Slam.
Its clear he can do that.
In fact he's playing more aggressively lately with the serve and backhand, and I think he'll have big chances on hardcourts.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:58 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
The big goal Nadal still has left to accomplish is win another Australian Open to complete the Double Career Grand Slam.
Its clear he can do that.
In fact he's playing more aggressively lately with the serve and backhand, and I think he'll have big chances on hardcourts.
He is well ahead in the Race to YE#1 as well, and will probably get that this year, even with the 1 Slam and couple of other deep runs. (and has virtually no points to defend in the fall/indoor season)
His cross court backhand and serves have improved a lot this year ,he never let Stanimal into the RG match, so USO series will be interesting as well.
The 2018 AO is probably too far away to be targeting now.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
It is hard to comprehend just what 10 titles at the 1 Slam in the Open Era really means.
Unlikely it will ever be repeated in our lifetimes.
Martina Navratilova won 9 Wimbledons in the womens game, Federer and Sampras won 7 Wimbledons in the mens, Chris Evert 7 French titles in the womens as well, and Serena Williams 7 AO's (on 2 different surfaces) and 7 Wimbledons.
Of course Margaret Court won 11 AO's, but that was partly in the amateur era, and when nobody came to the AO.

Last edited by Derek41; 06-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: chris evert and serena williams.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
He is well ahead in the Race to YE#1 as well, and will probably get that this year, even with the 1 Slam and couple of other deep runs. (and has virtually no points to defend in the fall/indoor season)
His cross court backhand and serves have improved a lot this year ,he never let Stanimal into the RG match, so USO series will be interesting as well.
The 2018 AO is probably too far away to be targeting now.
Yeah I don't think Nadal will be targeting the AO in his head yet, nor the US Open, because he's methodical and only focuses on the next slam which is Wimbledon.
I don't consider the YE#1 a big goal, but its a nice byproduct of his improvement at the slams this year.

Whatever he does at Wimbledon this year will be a bonus, and he was very good in 2014 Wimbledon making it to the 4th Round and was 1-set-all with Krygios, and Nadal was holding serve easier than Krygios in the 3rd Set but lost the tie-breaker, so not too far from playing Raonic in the QF and Federer in the SF.
I'm very confident about Nadal's chances at the US Open, that is for sure.

Its quite incredible that despite all the injury comebacks he's continued to return to the top with YE#1 in 2008, 2010, 2013 and could be 2017.
That makes me think that even if he gets injured again when he's 32 or 33, he'll have supreme confidence that he'll be able to get back again.
Nobody knows how to deal with an injury better than Nadal, and that's why deciding on retirement may be very complicated for him (not easy to retire when you know you can overcome the injury and win more slams).

Last edited by MAGAalot; 06-12-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 05:05 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
Nobody knows how to deal with an injury better than Nadal, and that's why deciding on retirement may be very complicated for him (not easy to retire when you know you can overcome the injury and win more slams).
Interesting point. I never thought he'd make it this long, since Borg retired at 25 (or 26?) and was also a very physical player. In the last 5 or so years, though, Nadal has been more aggressive to preserve his body. Still, at times when matches get tough you can see him resort to grinding it out and he just can't do it at this age. I believe that is one of the reasons he lost to Federer in Melbourne (aside from being outplayed of course). Federer was much more rested and Nadal can't bounce back like he used to.

I was VERY impressed by his play in the French this year. I was worried about Wawrinka but he didn't even have a chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Nadal didn't let him. I'd be more excited for Wimbledon if I didn't know Federer would be lurking...then again he's also one of my favorites so it's still fun in that sense.

I don't think Nadal will ever equal Federer's slam count but I'm glad he's three up on Djokovic again

Old 06-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Interesting point. I never thought he'd make it this long, since Borg retired at 25 (or 26?) and was also a very physical player. In the last 5 or so years, though, Nadal has been more aggressive to preserve his body. Still, at times when matches get tough you can see him resort to grinding it out and he just can't do it at this age. I believe that is one of the reasons he lost to Federer in Melbourne (aside from being outplayed of course). Federer was much more rested and Nadal can't bounce back like he used to.

I was VERY impressed by his play in the French this year. I was worried about Wawrinka but he didn't even have a chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Nadal didn't let him. I'd be more excited for Wimbledon if I didn't know Federer would be lurking...then again he's also one of my favorites so it's still fun in that sense.

I don't think Nadal will ever equal Federer's slam count but I'm glad he's three up on Djokovic again
Yeah Wawrinka didn't play too bad, except for the 1st Set.
1st Set: 4 winners, 17 unforced errors.
2nd Set: 6 winners, 6 unforced errors.
3rd Set: 9 winners, 6 unforced errors.
Amazing to lose a set 6-1 when you have 9 winners and 6 unforced errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports