Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times

Advertisements

I'm watching on a 20-minute delay so I don't know if it's happened yet... but man they need to break up this Kohli / Sharma partnership.

ETA: No sooner did I post that it promptly happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm watching on a 20-minute delay so I don't know if it's happened yet... but man they need to break up this Kohli / Sharma partnership.

ETA: No sooner did I post that it promptly happened.
Yes, that was the breakthrough Love everything about India, but I’m ENglish born n bred . Not sure in the grand scheme of things how the same’s pan Out but would love England Australia/India Final.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Third favourite now, and sliding fast. A great pleasure to watch it unfold.
Perhaps the English team just need to cheat more - that seems to work.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:16 AM

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe and Ireland have started their 2-day ODI / 2-day T20 series today. Hope the match is uploaded somewhere for later viewing; I don't think Willow is covering it.

My heart's with Ireland, my money's on Zimbabwe.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:00 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
In India vs England match, once Hardik Pandya was Out, India started to play slowly in order to protect their wickets. This was done to insure that Net Run rate do not fall down in case whole team is bundled out before 50 overs chasing victory.
So this means that coming games will be played with an eye into Semi-finals on better run rate. Teams which play later will have advantage.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Was protecting the run rate that important? Wouldn't India basically have to all die in a plane crash to not make the semis at this point?

Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe and Ireland have started their 2-day ODI / 2-day T20 series today. Hope the match is uploaded somewhere for later viewing; I don't think Willow is covering it.

My heart's with Ireland, my money's on Zimbabwe.
Ireland takes match #1 with 9 balls to spare.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Teams like Zimbabwe have done well in the past. I wonder what happened to them.
Quote:
Unfortunately for Zimbabwe, the racial and political strife that marked Robert Mugabe's rule even reached down into cricket . . . And problems continue to this day . . .
Yet more woes for Zimbabwe Cricket: Zimbabwe turmoil continues as women's tour of Ireland cancelled

"The cancellation of the women's tour is yet another chapter of the turmoil that has engulfed Zimbabwean cricket since the [Zimbabwe Sports and Recreation Commission], who are the governing body of all sporting associations in Zimbabwe, suspended the Tavengwa Mukuhlani-led ZC board and installed an interim committee in their place." Translation: the Chiwenga regime is sweeping out the Mugabe cronies to make room for the Chiwenga cronies.

"While the SRC claim to be acting in the best interests of cricket in the country, the suspension and subsequent power struggle are threatening to completely disrupt the sport and Zimbabwe are in danger of losing their ICC membership." To which I say again, maybe it's time for a promotion/relegation regime. Boot Zimbabwe out, put Scotland in their place, and then maybe they'll get the message and get their act together enough to re-join the cricket elite through promotion back into test status.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:29 PM

So now Pakistan has to win by at least 308 runs to gain the 4th spot.

I don't understand why they don't use the round-robin head-to-head result as their first tiebreaker and use NRR ONLY if the head-to-head was a tie or NR. It seems daft the team who lost in the head-to-head moves on while the team who won goes home.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
So now Pakistan has to win by at least 308 runs to gain the 4th spot.

I don't understand why they don't use the round-robin head-to-head result as their first tiebreaker and use NRR ONLY if the head-to-head was a tie or NR. It seems daft the team who lost in the head-to-head moves on while the team who won goes home.
Ian Bishop made the same point while covering the Windies/Afghanistan match. While I'd much rather see NZ in the finals than Pakistan, IMO Pakistan got ripped off.

Quote:
Zimbabwe is playing a 3-match ODI series and a 3-match T20 series against recent test upstarts Ireland in a couple weeks. It will be interesting to see how well they do, but even with their best cricketing days behind them I expect Zimbabwe will still take care of business against Ireland.
Well I was wrong about that. Ireland just completed a clean sweep of their ODI series. The first two matches were nail-biters. The third was a blowout. Either I've underestimated how far Ireland has risen or how far Zimbabwe has fallen. Given Ireland's mediocre record against the other upstart Afghanistan, I'd say it's the latter.

After this showing by the men's side and the straight up no-show by the women's side, it's hard to imagine Zimbabwe cricket has too many chances left with the ICC. At this point there are only two reasons to let them keep their snouts in the ICC money trough: 1) a sense of tradition; 2) they don't want to admit cricket is in decline outside of South Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports