U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 06:03 PM

3,350 posts, read 3,722,362 times

Advertisements

Well that ends that. Abject slaughter. At this point, another 5-0 whitewash is very much on the cards. To be able to thump England convincingly without Cummins and Hazlewood tells the story really. So it's time to look to the future. Anderson and Broad, thanks for everything but it's time to start booking retirement plans. New openers are needed urgently. Burns in particular looks completely out of his depth. Starc of all people has got the wood on him. Jonathan Trott on his last Ashes tour comes to mind. Just done.
I hope people dont let Buttler's heroics on the last day cloud the fact that he played a massive part in why England lost this test with all his dropped catches. I personally have never bought into the idea that a wicketkeeper should bat first and keep second. Gilchrist was an outstanding batsman, but he was first and foremost a great keeper. England need to get back to finding a competent young KEEPER...use Bairstow in the interim.
I actually thought the pacemen did a decent job. Poor fielding let them down. I wasnt excited by all the 80-85 mph bowlers brought for the tour but so far I cant say a bad thing about any of them. I still feel that you have to bring the 90+ mph guys when you tour Australia. There's very little swing, practically no clouds at all plus flat wickets. This is why Jimmy and Stuart look so ordinary. A massive shame about Archer being injured but is there really no on else???
Finally, I'm not sure Root is the guy to be captain. Shows very little initiative or imagination in the field, and captaincy doesnt seem to elevate his batting, and England need him batting at his best to have a shot. But looking up and down that lineup I dont see a better alternative. It would be too much to put on Stokes who has to bat and bowl as well. Now it's just wait for the torture to be over. Really disappointing because this isnt an all powerful Aussie lineup.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 11:28 AM

8,703 posts, read 4,064,388 times
ICC bans Zimbabwe's Brendan Taylor for 3.5 years

How Brendan Taylor Got Into a Fix

Old 03-04-2022, 07:47 AM

22,190 posts, read 9,148,190 times
Very Sorry to hear about Shane Warne's death - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

Legendary Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne, one of the greatest cricketers of all time, has died of a suspected heart attack aged 52.

Warne took 708 Test wickets, the second most of all time, in 145 matches across a stellar 15-year career.

He won the 1999 50-over World Cup and claimed 293 dismissals in 194 one-day internationals between 1993 and 2005.

After retiring from international cricket in 2007, he continued to play franchise Twenty20 cricket until 2013.

Shane Warne: Australia legend dies aged 52 - BBC News

Old 03-04-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Very Sorry to hear about Shane Warne's death - RIP
Yep a big piece of my childhood just gone. I spent my teenage years watching Warnie, trying (and failing miserably) to bowl like him. Gone too soon. RIP

Old 03-05-2022, 04:22 AM

22,190 posts, read 9,148,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yep a big piece of my childhood just gone. I spent my teenage years watching Warnie, trying (and failing miserably) to bowl like him. Gone too soon. RIP
Australians were still coming to terms with the death of Rod Marsh earlier in the week and then this.

Rod Marsh: Legendary Australia wicketkeeper dies aged 74 after heart attack - BBC News

Old 03-05-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Australians were still coming to terms with the death of Rod Marsh earlier in the week and then this.

Rod Marsh: Legendary Australia wicketkeeper dies aged 74 after heart attack - BBC News
Yes, talk about the double whammy.
Speaking about Warne, he really changed everything about spin. It used to be that spinners were the weak link, only used to give the fast bowlers (aka the "real" bowlers) a rest. Warne was for me the first spinner who was a real attacking weapon in his own right. After McGrath came off, we all watched to see what damage Warne was going to cause. It's also a part of the way I rated batsmen. I saw so many batsmen thoroughly intimidated by Warne (the England batsmen of the 90s come to mind, but the absolute worst was Daryll Culinan of South Africa, he was a complete wreck against Warne). Thats why I really respected those batsmen who could compete against Warne; guys like Sachin, Lara. Another guy I liked against Warne was the late Hansie Cronje. Never was afraid to take Warne on.

Well I could go on for days about Warne but I'll stop here. A terrible tragedy, he will be missed.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:52 AM

And yet another one:

Flamboyant Australia cricketer Andrew Symonds dies in car accident

Old Today, 10:00 AM

By ICC proclamation, mankading is no longer frowned upon. It always seemed like a legit tactic to me to keep the non-striker honest as long as the bowler at least gives him fair warning to mind the crease. Even so, maybe I'm not watching the right matches but leading off (or whatever it may be called in cricket) doesn't appear to be a big enough issue that this needed to be actively addressed. Or am I missing some other event that precipitated this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports