Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 5,540,261 times

Advertisements

Did you happen to catch the IPL championship match? What an ending. If you scripted it for a movie exactly as it happened it would panned as a cliche nail-biter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Barring England and West Indies (collection of Caribbean Nations), no country play Cricket as far as Europe and Americas is concerned.
There is some interest in USA about Cricket but it is limited to immigrant communties of India and Pakistan.
For what it's worth, Ireland just earned full test status, and the USA, Netherlands, and Scotland are Associate members with ODI status. As far as someone else saying cricket isn't popular in the USA outside of certain immigrant communities... as if to drive the point home, I don't think a single member of team USA is native-born. They're all immigrants from South Asia or the Caribbean.

I noticed team Hong Kong also has maybe one or two ethnic Chinese players. All the rest are either South Asian immigrants or descendants from same.

Last edited by Bitey; 05-12-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 05:06 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,657,264 times
Actually Cricket is not number one sport in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, England, Caribbean countries. So the immigrants from these countries are even more unlikely to follow / play Cricket in the countries they move to like USA, Canada. On the other hand, Soccer is spreading as immigrant kids kick soccer ball wherever they go.

Only India / pakistan / Sri Lanka / Bangladesh / Nepal immigrants follow Cricket it seems.

The problem with USA is the Time Zone.
Cricket is nowadays played for Indian TV Audience at Prime Time.

If they can figure out some optimum time slot, they can have few IPL matches in USA just like how NFL Franchises visit London every season.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:11 AM

4 out of last 5 world cups, Australia were the Champions.

I will again start with Australia and England as favourites.

India also have a strong chance.

Pakistan has an inconsistent team and South Africa just flatters to decieve under pressure every time.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Actually Cricket is not number one sport in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, England, Caribbean countries. So the immigrants from these countries are even more unlikely to follow / play Cricket in the countries they move to like USA, Canada. On the other hand, Soccer is spreading as immigrant kids kick soccer ball wherever they go.

Only India / pakistan / Sri Lanka / Bangladesh / Nepal immigrants follow Cricket it seems.

The problem with USA is the Time Zone.
Cricket is nowadays played for Indian TV Audience at Prime Time.

If they can figure out some optimum time slot, they can have few IPL matches in USA just like how NFL Franchises visit London every season.
A quick look at the team rosters of USA and Canada suggest at least some immigrants from the English-speaking Caribbean are still keen to play cricket.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
India are up there with England in terms of ODI.

England are at home, however I just feel India are all round a very good team.

ICC Ranking for ODI teams International Cricket Council

What is the system of Ticket allocation in Cricket stadiums / Clubs ?

Do all these places like MCC (Lords), The Oval (Surrey) reserve tickets even for World Cup for their members or all tickets are for online sale ?

I am a fan of Old Cricket stadiums like The Oval, Lords, Old Trafford. Those stadiums used to have a distinct character, support fast bowling.

But nowadays, so many international Cricket matches are being played at non-conventional places like Cardiff, Southampton, Riverside (Durham), Rose Bowl (Hampshire).

These new stadiums are more batsman friendly and more suited for T20 version!!

TV pressure I suppose- hold more matches in batsman friendly stadiums.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,479,220 times
Not long now till the World Cup.Looking forward to it immensely then the Ashes later in the summer.
Can't wait for the reception the Aussie cheats Smith and Warner will get from the Barmy Army.
Meanwhile,here's an outrageous piece of fielding by Adil Rashid.

https://twitter.com/englandcricket/s...47266101223424

Old 05-20-2019, 11:26 AM

Unfortunately I don't have 1,837 hours of my life to dedicate to following the Ashes, not to mention I have no particular stake in its outcome.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Unfortunately I don't have 1,837 hours of my life to dedicate to following the Ashes, not to mention I have no particular stake in its outcome.
Are you American by any chance ?
In my experience most Americans don't have an attention span of 1,837 seconds to follow a sport ...

Old 05-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
This is shaping up to be an exciting World Cup. There are a handful of dominant teams but it wouldn't surprise anyone if many of the so-called underdogs scored some upset victories.

Here's my odds list:

1) England
2) India
3) Australia
4) South Africa
5) New Zealand
6) Windies
7) Pakistan
8) Afghanistan
9) Sri Lanka
10) Bangladesh
I have New Zealand as my outside bet.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 AM

I'd probably have to move Bangladesh move up a slot or two, maybe move Windies down a slot. Afghanistan I'd say is the biggest wildcard of the bunch. Not really a threat to win but certainly capable of making things interesting during the round-robin phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports