Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Gruden sucks anyway. He was overrated as heck as a coach and is overrated AND overpaid as an analyst. He basically won a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay with the team that Tony Dungy built and had ready made for him, and AGAINST the Raiders, the team he had just coached the season before and still knew inside-out. Yet he has the nerve to act like a pompous, arrogant, know-it-all. He knows he's overrated too, which is part of the reason why he has never stepped out of the studio or announcers' booth to accept another coaching job again; he'd be exposed as a FRAUD!!!!!
I'm watching the KC-DEN game from last night and can't stand his voice. Is that a southern twang? I know he lives in my city, but no one talks w/ that kind of accent around here....lots of exaggerations of players, too. Usually every player on the field is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:38 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Gruden was a good coordinator. Was he a good head coach? I dunno, he got the Bucs over a hump that Dungy could not and the Raiders were pretty good under him.

Gruden in short takes is not bad but 4 hrs of MNF is a bit much. It would be better if they had a 3 person team. Give the show some breaks from Gruden.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
John Gruden reminds me of Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
MNF should go back to a three-man booth. Just saying.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The oddest thing was the amount of NBA coverage ESPN continued to do AFTER the championship series. I would tune in to shows like Mike and Mike and think WTF is this? The seasons is over and they're still talking - I'm talking weeks afterwards.

I figured they continued to talk because they must have a lot of rights and they're continuing to support the league even after the season despite what their audience might be interested in (preseason NFL, MLB)......
That's pretty much it, when you spend billions and billions on TV rights, almost bidding against yourself in a way and overpaying, no doubt, you will basically need to promote that league 24/7/365 to even try and make any little profit that you can, especially when ratings are in the toilet.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:30 PM

939 posts, read 505,302 times
We can all complain and want to believe it has much to do with bad programs and what everyone's personnel preference is as to what they should be showing and not showing. But ultimately its the mega TV deals ESPN is stuck with. They have overpaid for the rights to, in particular the NBA; hence why you see/hear all the coverage you didn't years back in the off-season and early parts of the regular season- it sounds ridiculous that ESPN radio spends more than 5 seconds of an afternoon chatting about these same lame subjects about the Los Angeles Lakers or Lebron James in the middle of football season and the baseball playoffs. It is obvious ESPN is stuck in a corner and in a desperate ploy, wants to shove the NBA down our throats and expect people to care before April and after June.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
heard it's going to be very soon.....Dan Patrick Show mentioned it.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:23 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
heard it's going to be very soon.....Dan Patrick Show mentioned it.

According to this article posted two days ago it will be after Thanksgiving

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/1...er-talent-cuts

Old 11-11-2017, 02:34 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
According to this article posted two days ago it will be after Thanksgiving

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/1...er-talent-cuts
Can't feel sorry for them; they've been their own worst enemy!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Here is a list of people that I would like removed/fired from ESPN:
Jemele Hill
Michael Smith
Anita Marks
Tony Kornheiser
Randy Moss
Charles Woodson

They are all fairly useless and replaceable.

And one more thing they need to do is get rid of that sad, sorry, sappy bit they usually show on Sportscenter during the weekend morning editions. Sorry, but I just want to hear about sports and highlights. Not some depressing and sad story about dying soldier or a child with terminal illness. They ham it up by playing the sad music to give giving it a depressing vibe. If you want to air these sad stories keep it on a separate show, not sportscenter.
But you're keeping Will Cain?

OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports