Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which sports do you think are boring to watch on TV?
Soccer 50 28.90%
Rugby 13 7.51%
Ice Hockey 19 10.98%
Gymnastics 25 14.45%
Tennis 21 12.14%
Golf 72 41.62%
Archery 27 15.61%
Squash 26 15.03%
NASCAR 45 26.01%
Football 26 15.03%
Basketball 19 10.98%
Baseball 40 23.12%
Softball 22 12.72%
Lacrosse 14 8.09%
Bowling 36 20.81%
Figure Skating 20 11.56%
Cycling 34 19.65%
Swimming/Diving 13 7.51%
Badminton 20 11.56%
Fencing 21 12.14%
Judo 19 10.98%
Table Tennis 20 11.56%
Australian Rules Football 10 5.78%
Ultimate Frisbee 17 9.83%
Field Hockey 15 8.67%
Track and Field 10 5.78%
Cricket 25 14.45%
Curling 21 12.14%
Volleyball 6 3.47%
other (please explain below) 9 5.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:44 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

golf and soccer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:01 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Golf, poker, chess.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:20 PM

343 posts, read 306,529 times
Of course Americans love to hate soccer; if this question was asked in other languages the most popular answer would probably be American football.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:59 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Of course Americans love to hate soccer; if this question was asked in other languages the most popular answer would probably be American football.
No, Americans don't hate soccer.

They just don't really see it as a "sport". It's more of an excruciating torture.

They seriously believe the "rules & regs" to be dumber than dumb.

Americans don't get why so many soccer players flop. And flop. And flop. If it's just to draw a yellow card or red card? Or whatever? Americans don't get why that does anything for the "sport".

If it's a flop (?) then why do all of the "medics and stretchers" come flying out on the field?

It's a flop! F-L-O-P. Flop.

Offsides is one of the most misunderstood calls in soccer, and Americans think it's just one more ridiculous call -- which takes away any and all "excitement" (?) from an otherwise slow and boring game.

Why do goalies even exist? They always get scored on. Early and often.

And why penalty kicks? All a PK does is penalize the already intensely bored, dumbfounded fans who are already exceedingly and most assuredly bored.

Bored to tears.

Oh, and Americans believe soccer to be exceedingly slow. And boring.

Did I mention slow?

Last edited by Colt AZ; 11-12-2017 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 01:11 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Which sports do you think are boring to watch on television?

I'm going for soccer. It's so boring because it's very low scoring. Ice Hockey is the same reason though I might watch the NHL playoffs if they air it. I'd much rather watch rugby than soccer for sure. I'm also going for tennis outside Wimbledon, Australian Open, French Open, and U.S. Open along with gymnastics, cycling, swimming, and cricket.
If I was appointed Czar of all sports, many of them would become greatly improved for the spectators, but probably more dangerous for the participants. Just for example, I would ban headers in soccer (this one for the prevention of brain damage) and eliminate the goalie and offside rule.

In football, there would be no penalty for holding or pass-interference. No place-kicking of field goals or extra points, but drop-kicking would be allowed. Blocking below the waist would be reinstated. The ball would have to be touched to the ground in the end zone, under control, for a touchdown. Forward motion would be eliminated and wherever the defense could toss back the ball carrier, would be the spot for the next play. The soles of both feet would have to be on the ground, in-bounds, for a pass receiver to make a legal catch. No pass-grounding of the ball by the quarterback would be allowed, in any circumstances, including spiking it, to stop the clock. The fair-catch would be cancelled. After an incomplete pass, the ball would be spotted from where it was thrown and a forward pass could be made from past the line of scrimmage, but if not completed, would be regarded as a fumble. That would really liven-up the game. These changes would make the game more interesting for spectators and would put more emphasis on the defense.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 PM

343 posts, read 306,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
No, Americans don't hate soccer.

They just don't really it as a "sport". It's more of an excruciating torture.

They seriously believe the "rules & regs" to be dumber than dumb.

Americans don't get why so many soccer players flop. And flop. And flop. If it's just to draw a yellow card or red card? Or whatever? Americans don't get why that does anything for the "sport".

If it's a flop (?) then why do all of the "medics and stretchers" come flying out on the field?

It's a flop! F-L-O-P. Flop.

Offsides is one of the most misunderstood calls in soccer, and Americans think it's just one more ridiculous call -- which takes away any and all "excitement" (?) from an otherwise slow and boring game.

Why do goalies even exist? They always get scored on. Early and often.

And why penalty kicks? All a PK does is penalize the already intensely bored, dumbfounded fans who are already exceedingly and most assuredly bored.

Bored to tears.

Oh, and Americans believe soccer to be exceedingly slow. And boring.

Did I mention slow?
Why does American football go for 10 seconds and then stop for 3 minutes so they can sit around and show commercials? Maybe that would explain why half the players look like they are morbidly obese...

Old 11-12-2017, 01:26 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Soccer is popular in the U.S. and has been experiencing steady growth:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...celand-germany

However, as a spectator sport, it is very boring to watch. The fact that soccer games in general are very low scoring affairs with running back and forth and back and forth is just godawful boring. It's just like ice hockey, another sport I find very boring but does have popularity in the U.S.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:42 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Why does American football go for 10 seconds and then stop for 3 minutes so they can sit around and show commercials? Maybe that would explain why half the players look like they are morbidly obese...
America is built upon capitalism. A free society has free enterprise. Products are manufactured, and sold, and distributed to the greatest people on Earth: CUSTOMERS.

America becomes the richest nation in the world. Why?

Capitalism.

WHY are commercials shown?

Not only does it help players relax, but so that products may be presented, and products may be sold.

And American capitalism may continue to flourish.

American ingenuity.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:45 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yeah, I love playing golf but watching - oy, boring. Majors, on weekends, are fun as the courses are harder and the choke factor goes up but normal events, no thanks. Soccer for me is the worst but I don't enjoy the game on any level.

Same. Playing is one thing. Watching is another. Watching golf is like watching ice thaw.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:29 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
NASCAR racing.
Hey! Let's watch guys drive in circles 500 times!
Good gravy.

I voted golf though..as it's the poster sign for boring.

And you bet I love soccer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports