U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 11:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,743,807 times

Advertisements

Living in Europe, I lost interest in basketball and football, leaving me more time to focus on baseball.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 02:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 30,683,984 times
lost interesting PGA golf - oversaturated sport, imo....too many tournaments.

and I've watched thousands of rounds probably on the tv over the years and have attended hundreds of tournaments including Masters, US Open....

I think I saw Golf's best days w/ Tiger - hard to think it'll get better like that.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:46 PM

23,783 posts, read 27,273,226 times
my eternal cold hatred for every other team, keeps me going strong all these years...embrace the anathema in whatever skin it wears

Old 12-09-2017, 02:17 PM

27,078 posts, read 10,213,972 times
Atlanta Braves

Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 AM

7,491 posts, read 7,476,319 times
For me it happened when I moved. I was a Browns fan for over 50 years, had season tickets for awhile, went to the expansion draft in Canton, training camp since it was at Hiram. Then I lost interest in them. Same with the Cavaliers. Fan since the team started, season tickets for longer than for the Browns. Happy when they won the Championship but haven't watched them since.

Now I am a Cardinals fan. Haven't missed a game on TV since I moved here. Go to fan fest, draft party, practices. Too old to go to games now or I should say too old to put up with the crowds and restrooms.

For baseball I only watch the World Series. Would like to see the Indians win but I'm not a fan of them any longer. Have no interest in Suns or Diamondbacks. Just NFL and college football for me now plus a few Spring Training games.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:56 PM

4,452 posts, read 3,075,024 times
I'm close to giving up on the Brewers if they keep losing because of how bad they have been even though I have to confess that they were pretty good this past season.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 30,683,984 times
walked out of my Bucs' game today vs Lions somewhere during the 3rd quarter, I think - headed home disinterested - two more tickets left for me this season (season ticket package) then I'm done w/ going to the stadium - kind of sad as I've been going for awhile since I retired almost 10 yrs ago - and before that when I lived in Tampa in the 80s.....time to move on from going to games - no longer fun.....Have MLB Rays tickets for 2018, but after that, will likely give up going to games most likely - have been a sports fan all my life, so going to the stadiums is no longer a big deal, stop being so awhile ago (too much hassle).

Old 12-13-2017, 07:53 AM

4,347 posts, read 6,105,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
all of the nba..

im not sure if i just got old, but it seemed like every team had that larger than life character. jordan, magic, bird, barkley, ewing, hakeem the dream, mailman+stockton, clyde the glyde, isiah.

now its like there are a handful of guys i know are good but no personalities outside of labron i guess, and they pack the good ones all on 2 or 3 teams. its a few teams, and 25 also rans no one cares about.

and, they play too many games.. same with hockey wake me up 15 games before the playoffs start.

If you can name one thing, it would be the entire NBA for me too. BORING!!!

At one time I was a Celtics fan since growing up they were about the only team playing on TV and there wasn't a team within 600 miles of where I lived. I tried to convert to the Timberwolves and kind of did during the Kevin Garnett/Stephan Marbury years, but gave up on them. I glance at their games on the tube from time to time just out of curiosity.

I absolutely love watching basketball, college style. Total excitement level 180 from the professional game. To me, March madness is the sports highlight of the year even over the World Series and the Super Bowl (unless the Twins or, dare I say it, the Vikings are in it).

As to hockey, never was a fan so my indifference was not a conversion. If I were able to attend NHL games on a regular basis, I think I could get to really like the game. As it stands now, I don't have the inclination to try to understand the game enough to become a fan.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 PM

380 posts, read 395,943 times
Off and on with the Blue Jays -- Rogers and their treatment of the Canadian Football League has made it difficult. I realize that the Blue Jays are not Rogers, but the way that they were promoted made it very difficult to make the distinction.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 PM

15,910 posts, read 10,363,169 times
I have two baseball teams -- the Tigers and Phillies (my interest in other sports is nowhere near as deep); although I live much closer to Philadelphia, my loyalty to the Tigers is considerably stronger. I attribute this to several factors: (1) my first interest in baseball developed in the late Fifties, when the Phils were in a long tailspin, (2) the greater sense of tradition in Detroit, probably second in all of baseball only to the Yankees, and (3) an apparent practice (save in the first years of this century) of cutting the losses and rebuilding early when the team "goes stale".

The Phillies were my late Dad's team, and I recognized, as I grew older, that his distaste for the Yankees (and Billy Martin in particular) were rooted in the 1950 World Series. However, thanks in part to exposure to the class act of Mr. Rizzuto, I grew to appreciate a strong sense of tradition in any franchise. But particularly in the case of the Yanks, that can also translate into too many cases of fair-weather friendship -- something I have to admit is not easily overcome when you have divided loyalties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports