U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 04:44 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,221,107 times

Advertisements

I was streaming from ESPN3 today. What I was streaming came from TSN (Canada) and also I noticed that there were local commercials inserted, so I don't know how many sources are touching the signal before it gets to me.

On numerous occasions the stream would pause. Sometimes very briefly, but other times it would lock up and I'd need to refresh my browser. On a couple of occasions I rebooted my modem and router, just to see if it was that.

I was watching on my TV using an HDMI cable to my computer, but that shouldn't have been a factor, as the picture on the laptop was doing the same thing.

I tried both Firefox and Chrome, and they both had the same issue. (Explorer, as expected, was worthless.)

Has anyone else had issues with streaming ESPN3? If so, did you find a fix?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 05:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 30,664,962 times
isn't that freezing a function of your internet provider's speed?

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
isn't that freezing a function of your internet provider's speed?

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
My speed is 32.5 mbps, which should be plenty.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 30,664,962 times
okay, that's about all I know on the subject - I rarely stream ESPN except when USF football is internet-only and if I recall, I had issues w/ that

Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 AM

7,599 posts, read 17,800,761 times
Is your PC up to date ? Flash, silverlight etc up to date ?

I dont use the browser, I use Roku and never have buffering issues. You can pick them up cheap.

But what about what else is on your network using BW and your wifi signal may be weak. You may have QOS on your router you can set up to put priority to your laptop.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Is your PC up to date ? Flash, silverlight etc up to date ?

I dont use the browser, I use Roku and never have buffering issues. You can pick them up cheap.

But what about what else is on your network using BW and your wifi signal may be weak. You may have QOS on your router you can set up to put priority to your laptop.
Flash (which is what ESPN3 requires) is the latest version. I am only using the laptop. Nothing else on the network at the time I am trying to stream ESPN3. Signal speed is good, and I am no more than 6 foot from my router, so the signal shouldn't be an issue.

I notice it gets worse the more options ESPN3 has for live streams. Today, there are numerous soccer game streams and the streaming of the Roar of the Rings (which is what I'm trying to watch) is terrible. It is stalling quite frequently, both during the games and during the commercials (which appear to be inserted locally somehow).

Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 AM

Unbelievable. I streamed events from CBC Sports all last week and didn't have to worry about freezes and lock-ups. I could actually sit back and enjoy what I was watching. I get onto ESPN3 again today and......freezes and lockups galore....AGAIN!

What is it about ESPN that their streaming is so pitiful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports