Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:34 PM

25 posts, read 69,077 times

Advertisements

Best Sports Cities Ranking:

https://missouricurrent.wordpress.co...y-cities-2017/

Last edited by ZGare; 12-12-2017 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Correct first line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
one of the more smartest lists I've ever seen on the interweb

Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,078,730 times
There are a myriad of flaws with that methodology for ranking "best sports cities". For one, it makes far more sense to use metro area population as opposed to just municipal boundary population (as if fans only come from that one central city and none from adjacent). Also, I think the vast majority would agree that number of teams to root for is a big factor in what is a better sports city. A metro with 5 or 6 major professional sports teams is far better than one with only one. Seating capacity and variation in such (as well as number of home games) varies widely by sport. Baseball hosts 82 home games per season (not counting any playoff games) in stadiums with usually around 40,000+ capacity. NFL only has 8 games per season, so despite higher stadium capacities the methodology is going to skew far more in favor of cities with MLB teams. I would say attendance average as a % of capacity is a far better indicator that both takes into account differences in types of sports/facilities and also winning percentage, since you could expect a lot more full stadiums with winning teams, and doesn't having winning teams make for a better sports town?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 AM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
There are a myriad of flaws with that methodology for ranking "best sports cities". For one, it makes far more sense to use metro area population as opposed to just municipal boundary population (as if fans only come from that one central city and none from adjacent). Also, I think the vast majority would agree that number of teams to root for is a big factor in what is a better sports city. A metro with 5 or 6 major professional sports teams is far better than one with only one. Seating capacity and variation in such (as well as number of home games) varies widely by sport. Baseball hosts 82 home games per season (not counting any playoff games) in stadiums with usually around 40,000+ capacity. NFL only has 8 games per season, so despite higher stadium capacities the methodology is going to skew far more in favor of cities with MLB teams. I would say attendance average as a % of capacity is a far better indicator that both takes into account differences in types of sports/facilities and also winning percentage, since you could expect a lot more full stadiums with winning teams, and doesn't having winning teams make for a better sports town?
I agree. While Orlando proper does only have ~300,000 people in its city boundaries, the metro area (in which I live) has over 2.5 million. The vast majority of fans who attend the NBA and MLS games do not live within city limits.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Interesting list, although its nothing to do with the list per se I wonder just out of interest what the total sporting attendance would be for London - it must be huge.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:49 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Yea, the list is pretty stupid. But hey, some people in Missouri figured out how to make a list that puts St Louis at number 1, so go figure!

Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Yeah, Seattle 700k? Nah, that's bad methodology. Atlanta is the worst sports town. I mean, 5th?! haha No.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 AM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
The Dolphins don't play in Miami, but in Miami Gardens. The Florida Panthers are in Coral Springs. The only pro team that plays IN Miami are the Heat.
But yet this list includes ALL of those teams, but not all of the population, which is 6M.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The Dolphins don't play in Miami, but in Miami Gardens. The Florida Panthers are in Coral Springs. The only pro team that plays IN Miami are the Heat.
But yet this list includes ALL of those teams, but not all of the population, which is 6M.
Similar with D.C. They're only using DC population, yet the attendance pool is definitely also from Maryland and Northern Virginia. Probably even Baltimore, which is also likely to get folks from the D.C. metro as well.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:46 AM

25 posts, read 69,077 times
Some folks said a list of metros vs cities would be more fair. If you check the article, it also has a metro ranking. Here it is:

https://missouricurrent.files.wordpr...9985822721.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports