U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 03:31 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times

Advertisements

It may not pay much but a $1 tri box with 5-7-1 for a total wager of $6.
Then $4 Quip to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Status: ""Don't count the days; make the days count "" (set 6 days ago)

309 posts, read 88,601 times
They don't call him Big Money Mike for nothing....Way to go Mike Smith....and trainer Bob Baffert

Old 05-19-2018, 05:10 PM

I added a $1 super with Lone Star and Bravazo.
Quip was unable to beat Tenfold.
I had good odds on that matchup at 5-7 = -28
I also had 6 $1 pick 4 tickets on races 10-13 and I think that paid $43.
When the dust and the mud settled lost or won less than $2 I think.

I don't think Justify will win the Belmont. The closers were closing fast today and the extra 1/4 mile and the Belmont surface.

Justify paid $2.60 to show which was a nice payoff for third. The risk of backing up the truck on Justify to show in the Belmont will be the give up factor I've seen many times with M .Smith. When he can not win the Belmont he''ll pull pack and may not even hit the board. Win or save the horse and forget place - show.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:50 PM

8,592 posts, read 6,110,843 times
Great day today despite all the chalk that won so of course I didn't win any money.

However I got a lot of entertainment with my approximately $15.00 net loss for the day.

Disappointing late Pick 4 payoff but I almost nailed my payoff to the penny so it wasn't unexpected. I had three winning 50 cent tickets which did not turn a profit.

The surprise of the day to me was Bravazo. It's apparent he's turned his game around as he gave me a scare at the end. I did not want to throw away those Pick 4 tickets. Rather a small payoff as opposed to none at all. Loved the way Justify dug in at the end and held sway.

Count me in the opinion that it is doubtful we will have a triple crown winner this year...

Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
now it is on to the Belmont and maybe a second triple crown in so few years. Wow! I didn't make a bet cause I couldn't really see any advantage of betting with so low odds. besides, my bookie was out of town or so I thought. Bookie meaning my son in law. Actually they got home yesterday morning but I had lost interest in betting the race by then. Being in love with Mike, made the race even more exciting; what a jockey he is. I wonder how many more years we will see him climb up on those horses and bring us happiness? I know he said retirement isn't in the hear future, but we will see.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Great day today despite all the chalk that won so of course I didn't win any money. Disappointing late Pick 4 payoff but I almost nailed my payoff to the penny so it wasn't unexpected. I had three winning 50 cent tickets which did not turn a profit.

The surprise of the day to me was Bravazo. It's apparent he's turned his game around as he gave me a scare at the end. I did not want to throw away those Pick 4 tickets. Rather a small payoff as opposed to none at all. Loved the way Justify dug in at the end and held sway.

Count me in the opinion that it is doubtful we will have a triple crown winner this year...
I can not play 50 cent pick 4's so I had 6 $1 tickets for races 10-13. I had only tried a pick 3 or 4 one time so I had no idea how large or small the payoffs could be. How many people win a pick 4 by picking the ones with high odds? I had the three favorites in race 10, 2 of the favorites in race 11, Axman and Justify in the last two. 50 cent payoff was like $21.90. I had to bet $1 having no other choice. That $43.80 got me out even for the day. Highly disappointed in my "lock" Quip over Tenfold.

Looking to the Belmont which Preakness runners will move on? Likely only one. Who will show up for the third leg. We know Gronk will be there and maybe some others from the Derby. I am hopeful that my good friend Audible runs in the Belmont. If Justify fails to win there are going to be some large payoff tri's and super's.

The problem with a $1 super box it's a total of $24. I can not bet 50 cent or 20 cent super box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Bookie meaning my son in law. Actually they got home yesterday morning but I had lost interest in betting the race by then. Being in love with Mike, made the race even more exciting; what a jockey he is. I wonder how many more years we will see him climb up on those horses and bring us happiness? I know he said retirement isn't in the hear future, but we will see.
Well a son-in-law can forgive debts.

Mike is riding less often and picking and choosing his mounts carefully and accepting offers from trainers with very talented animals. He can last several more years like that. Gary Stevens in still riding.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:25 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I can not play 50 cent pick 4's so I had 6 $1 tickets for races 10-13. I had only tried a pick 3 or 4 one time so I had no idea how large or small the payoffs could be. How many people win a pick 4 by picking the ones with high odds? I had the three favorites in race 10, 2 of the favorites in race 11, Axman and Justify in the last two. 50 cent payoff was like $21.90. I had to bet $1 having no other choice. That $43.80 got me out even for the day. Highly disappointed in my "lock" Quip over Tenfold.

Looking to the Belmont which Preakness runners will move on? Likely only one. Who will show up for the third leg. We know Gronk will be there and maybe some others from the Derby. I am hopeful that my good friend Audible runs in the Belmont. If Justify fails to win there are going to be some large payoff tri's and super's.

The problem with a $1 super box it's a total of $24. I can not bet 50 cent or 20 cent super box.

Well a son-in-law can forgive debts.

Mike is riding less often and picking and choosing his mounts carefully and accepting offers from trainers with very talented animals. He can last several more years like that. Gary Stevens in still riding.
son in laws can be the best: we made a few bets before getting on a cruise ship the day before the derby. Of course the stupid ship did not show the running of the derby or any races that day. We did know we had won the derby but nothing about the other races except to know we didn't have much else to brag about. I asked daughter yesterday how much we owed our bookie for the derby bets; she just said, not enough to even worry about. It is nice to have a daughter and son in law that are not staving and have no kids or pets. We are both, their kids and their pets.

Yes, Gary is still riding after taking a brake but doesn't ride much, not like Mike. I think Johnny Longden rode for quite a few years. That is going way, way back.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 PM

5,042 posts, read 2,725,064 times
I don't know why... but Justify's Jockey, Mike, reminds me somewhat of Calvin BoRAIL!

Old 05-20-2018, 01:14 PM

8,592 posts, read 6,110,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

As I mentioned earlier I have been playing the horses for 33 years.
I do not understand these bets you make, Howard. Are these with a Las Vegas bookie?

There are a lot of betting sites on the net. Off the top - DRF, TVG, and NYRA are 3 of the biggest. I briefly had an account with DRF (the Daily Racing Form) that I signed up during a promotion. But once the original money in the account ran out I never went back. Guessing this was 8 years ago. As you know bad days happen in the game. It wasn't a very large amount, FWIW.

I don't know if this is a new thing (betting also-ran horses during the race) or not. To my knowledge I don't think one can make a bet like that on those sites I mentioned but could be wrong.

You shouldn't have any problems making those 10 and 50 cent wagers, assuming the track offers them.

Tenfold was another that surprised me but Quip didn't. I tried to talk my friend that I went to the track with yesterday into leaving Quip off his ticket but I failed.

It was an exciting race and especially finish. The horses I picked did well and all 3 got positive comments.

From reading the charts for yesterday's races it got so foggy during the last race that the only call made was the finish. No one actually saw the race except a small amount of it from the jockeys. What a disaster that would have been if it happened one race earlier...

Old 05-20-2018, 01:15 PM

https://www.app.com/story/sports/hor...tch/622697002/

-----------

The challenge posed by Good Magic, Bravazo and Tenfold throughout the Preakness Stakes may give hope to trainers and jockeys aboard horses in the Belmont Stakes. With some belief that Justify can be beaten with enough contenders alongside him, the field should be loaded with fast horses.

2018 Belmont Stakes: Early Odds and Predictions Following Preakness | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

--------------------

The odds right now on Justify to win the Triple Crown are 10-12. That's almost even money. Betting he will win the Triple Crown is the same as betting he will win the race.

Almost even money gets you Justify to win today and not three weeks from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports