Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 09:46 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times

Advertisements

USA hockey played their best period just now. They are actually starting to look like a hockey team (kind of). Strange saying this but maybe it was better they had to play-in to the tournament and get this extra game in? It might be just what they needed to gel together enough to make a little noise into the tournament? Who knows...maybe they could get some hardware (bronze?)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't understand what you're saying. Norway and Finland have roughly the same population of 5 million, and Sweden has 10 million. But Norway has four times as many medals as Sweden, and 9 times as many as Finland.

Come to think of it, Denmark also has 5 million people, and no medals in these Games! Why, of all the Nordic athletes, are the Norwegians such overachievers?
I see what you're saying.

Didn't the original Winter Olympics played in Norway? That country has a rich history of producing Winter medals.

That said, their hockey is a travesty. I asked someone about that on a hockey forum I'm on and they said the country doesn't really invest in hockey as much as they do all the other Winter sports. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times
USA got robbed out of the sliver metal in the free style skating it should have been like this

Canada had the best overall routine

USA very close second

France 3rd they had the weakest routine how did they get gold is beyond me

Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
I don't understand what you're saying. Norway and Finland have roughly the same population of 5 million, and Sweden has 10 million. But Norway has four times as many medals as Sweden, and 9 times as many as Finland.

Come to think of it, Denmark also has 5 million people, and no medals in these Games! Why, of all the Nordic athletes, are the Norwegians such overachievers?
Norway is better at skiing. That is why. Denmark is flat and snowless.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 AM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
None of those Nordic countries excel in figure skating. I noticed many skaters of Asian Heritage excel in figure skating and speed skating.

The ice dancing last night was epic. I think the top 3 were spot on, the judges got it right. But why o why can't they show they Panda podium that was held right after the competition concluded? It would have been a nice ending for fans who watched all night. I knew the medal ceremony wasn't until later on in the day (5 am est) so it couldn't be shown. I hope NBC plays it today.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:31 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
It perplexes me that Norway has 28 medals while Sweden has 7 and Finland only 3. All three countries have a similar number of competitors. What is the reason these other Nordic countries are performing so poorly compared to Norway?
IDK, but being 50% Norwegian (thanks, Mom!!!) I am very proud of the way they are cleaning up at these Games. Johannes Klaebo is an identical twin to my 17 yesr old nephew, and I love his come-from-behind strategy. He left the Russian in the dust going up the last hill during the 4x10 relay. That was an awesome race!

My nephew is also a Nordic skier, and will be competing at Junior Nationals in March. He's probably going to get mobbed due to the resemblance!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I'm behind watching the recordings of the Olympics on my DVR, so yesterday my wife and I watched the the final 10,000 m speed skating finals. We were shocked at Sven Kramer's 6th place finish. We are not conspiracy theorists, but we definitely felt that he threw the race so Ted-Jan Bloemen would win. Does anyone else agree? He skated the opposite of his normal; starting off behind, then speeding up as he went along. I can understand Kramer finishing in 2nd maybe, but 6th? I wonder what was going on in his mind. It was so shocking and he was very slow considering his five world championship wins in that distance.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:15 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
I'm loving these Winter Olympics, as I always do. This one is especially great because Russia & the USA are getting their a**es handed to them in the medal count. Love to see the smaller nations doing well!

And, as with every Olympics, I am thankful that I can watch them on CBC. NBC's coverage is its usual terrible self; limited and untimely coverage, focus almost entirely on Americans (believe it or not, there are other countries competing in the Olympics), heavy focus on ice skating (there are actually other events in these Olympics).

It is difficult watching live events at 11:00 PM, 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM, etc., but it is only for a couple of weeks and I won't regret it.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I'm loving these Winter Olympics, as I always do. This one is especially great because Russia & the USA are getting their a**es handed to them in the medal count. Love to see the smaller nations doing well!

And, as with every Olympics, I am thankful that I can watch them on CBC. NBC's coverage is its usual terrible self; limited and untimely coverage, focus almost entirely on Americans (believe it or not, there are other countries competing in the Olympics), heavy focus on ice skating (there are actually other events in these Olympics).

It is difficult watching live events at 11:00 PM, 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM, etc., but it is only for a couple of weeks and I won't regret it.
I can't stand when Canadians win competitions for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I find the countrymen arrogant. I'm on a border state, been to three provinces, have Canadians in my family - find that they generally have an arrogant view of Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post

Are you like me and have to watch most events live?

If I don't see it live I don't like watching things as much in replay.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I can't stand when Canadians win competitions for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I find the countrymen arrogant. I'm on a border state, been to three provinces, have Canadians in my family - find that they generally have an arrogant view of Americans.

Are you like me and have to watch most events live?

If I don't see it live I don't like watching things as much in replay.
Yes. Especially if I already know who won!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:26 PM

[quote=Kavalier;51086282]I can't stand when Canadians win competitions for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I find the countrymen arrogant. I'm on a border state, been to three provinces, have Canadians in my family - find that they generally have an arrogant view of Americans.

Interesting how experiences or perceptions differ.

I also have lived in a border state and am only one hour from the border now. I have also been to three provinces (MB, Ont., Que.). I have generally experienced the opposite. To me it is the Americans that are boisterous and arrogant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports