Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
They didn't even show the US pair's long program last night. I wish they had been advertising the fact that skating would be on NBCSN. All I heard leading up was that skating was going to be on NBC. They devoted over 6 hours to the team event. And then they couldn't give 2 hours to the entire pairs competition (both segments together). I'm taping the whole thing, I know how much has been shown minus commercials.

I enjoy the dance and ladies more than the pairs and men anyway. I will be switching over to watching NBCSN for the last two events.
I'm watching the men's figure skating short program on the nbc olympics stream channel, good coverage nothing but the skating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe. Mao Asada had the triple axel in 2010, but still lost to Yuna Kim. Mirai is facing two very strong Russians, one the reigning World Champion and the other the reigning European Champion..
While it was nice to see Nagasu do the triple, I don't thinks he has a chance against the Russians.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm watching the men's figure skating short program on the nbc olympics stream channel, good coverage nothing but the skating.
I'm over on NBCSN. I'm assuming they will show the final group.

Thankfully I have a DVD recorder paired with my bedroom TV. I'm gou g to be away tomorrow night, so I'm going to set both my recorders, one to each channel.

My eventual plan is to transfer all the Olympic skating I have (back to 1994) over to DVD.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Byfuglien is the rare MN born player not to play in their HS developmental progeam.
Dustin Byfuglien. What a name . He should just change his name to Dustin Buflin. There is no point of having a name no one in the US can pronounce properly.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:12 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Dustin Byfuglien. What a name . He should just change his name to Dustin Buflin. There is no point of having a name no one in the US can pronounce properly.
Ellis Island much?

Old 02-16-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Thankfully I have a DVD recorder paired with my bedroom TV. I'm gou g to be away tomorrow night, so I'm going to set both my recorders, one to each channel.

My eventual plan is to transfer all the Olympic skating I have (back to 1994) over to DVD.
The live stream showed all groups and every skater. Tonight is the long program and medal determination.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:16 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Their broadcasts are atrocious. It's gotten worse and worse, but they own the rights to Olympic coverage in US until 2032 so they are our only option. First of all, they are totally US athlete-centric. I am interested in winners from other countries as well. Then they only cover a little of some sports so they can insert more and more filler. No, I don't want to hear interviews with Katie Couric. No, I don't want to hear multiple interviews from US gold medal winners. One interview is enough. No, I don't want to hear sob stories, and I certainly don't want to be reminded of the same personal story multiple times. And I definitely don't want to have my hand glued to the remote because at least 1/3 of the coverage is commercials

Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I couldn't agree more. Their broadcasts are atrocious. It's gotten worse and worse, but they own the rights to Olympic coverage in US until 2032 so they are our only option. First of all, they are totally US athlete-centric. I am interested in winners from other countries as well. Then they only cover a little of some sports so they can insert more and more filler. No, I don't want to hear interviews with Katie Couric. No, I don't want to hear multiple interviews from US gold medal winners. One interview is enough. No, I don't want to hear sob stories, and I certainly don't want to be reminded of the same personal story multiple times. And I definitely don't want to have my hand glued to the remote because at least 1/3 of the coverage is commercials
In addition to the above, I am getting extremely annoyed at the difference between what Verizon FIOS has in their listings versus what is actually being shown in the time slot. Four hour blocks of broadcast time, where Curling is shown in the directory. I DVR it and FF through the whole four hours and no curling. Not just once, either.

And then, when they do have it on, the so called experts they have talking about the game, spend most of the time taking about the participants personal lives and stuff that no one really wants to know. They keep talking about how interest in curling is growing in the US, but then they don't bother to explain the strategies of why they place the stones where they do, and when they do it. If they were at all interested in growing the sport, they would explain it better. It is the one sport that requires mental planning and thought, versus speed or distance, or where the result is obvious for the spectator, and not left up to a judge with possible bias. It is something that anyone could play without having to be in top physical condition, but can't because there are not enough places to attempt it in the US. That won't change unless more interest is generated, and if NBC keeps doing the same job over and over, it never will happen.

One more thing. Due to the time difference between the US and Korea, they keep playing the same competitions over and over. Some I have seen three times, whereas some competitions they never show.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It's Scandinavian. It's his mom's name. His father (as far as I know) was not in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

I have to agree the "coverage" is a money-making scheme. It's atrocious indeed.

That said, and this is the one silver lining (despite the games being on at 2am, 6am) the hockey is pretty much COMMERCIAL FREE.

Other than that, this isn't the same as when I was a kid. Maybe it was bad back then (I'm in my late 30s so..) the coverage is just about pushing a social/political agenda and making money.

The commercials they are poisoning our minds with nowadays are the worst I've ever seen. It's all about molding our minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

One more thing. Due to the time difference between the US and Korea, they keep playing the same competitions over and over. Some I have seen three times, whereas some competitions they never show.

This as well! NBC re-airs the evening showing at 11 pm... WTH????

It's annoying, and if I only had NBC I'd be freaking furious. I want to see live action not re-runs of the earlier evening showing.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Watching the ski jump I wondered if any of these skiers ever tried this jump while wearing a wing suit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports