U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:36 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,500,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I feel the 800 lb gorilla in the room is all the doping that was done by Russia and the lack of repercussions when it was uncovered.
We're lucky if we don't get banned from the summer games for the gymnastics and swimming scandals. Imo, decades of abuse is much worse than doping. I wouldn't go trying to make Russia pay when we're not clean, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 01:52 AM

11,795 posts, read 9,726,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
We're lucky if we don't get banned from the summer games for the gymnastics and swimming scandals. Imo, decades of abuse is much worse than doping. I wouldn't go trying to make Russia pay when we're not clean, either.
While reprehensible, the abuse of gymnasts does not give a competitive edge on the field. More Russians are testing positive again this Olympics...including one who was doping for curling. Freakin' CURLING.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:36 AM

3,690 posts, read 1,205,453 times
Quote:
While reprehensible, the abuse of gymnasts does not give a competitive edge on the field. More Russians are testing positive again this Olympics...including one who was doping for curling. Freakin' CURLING.
The USAG wasn't looking out for the welfare of the ahletes, because they KNEW this was going on at the time. But anything for gold medals, right??? Marta Karolyi was obsessed with the World and Olympic team titles - she chose gymnasts for the World and Olympic teams based on their ability to hit in the team competition, not for their potential to win the All Around or individual event medals.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM

2,672 posts, read 1,676,349 times
What other sporting even brings together so many countries in so many different areas of competition? Nothing. Not even football/soccer does this. IMO, the Olympics are doing fine. The IOC could lighten up on some of requirements for the venues for the host country to help encourage more hosting.

Is it corrupt, somewhat. but show me any other level of organizations that doesn't have some corruption to it. Overall, they provide a good show and an athletic avenue for numerous people around the globe.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:16 AM

1,599 posts, read 565,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
replace Lillehammmer with Salt Lake City, the list needs more English speaking places
I know this supposed to be a commentary on how Lillehammer was the only non-English speaking place listed...

...but...

...Lillehammer is in Norway, and most Norwegians speak English.

Outside of the countries where English is the dominant language, Norway ranks fourth globally in English proficiency. Over two-thirds of the Norwegian population is proficient in English.
https://www.ef.edu/epi/regions/europe/norway/

Old 02-25-2018, 11:48 AM

5,054 posts, read 5,528,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
replace Lillehammmer with Salt Lake City, the list needs more English speaking places
Lillehammer is too small. Oslo would be a much better pick. I bet all the venues will be packed with spectators in the US, Canada or Norway, unlike Pyongyang.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 AM

4,082 posts, read 2,158,753 times
Quote:
I feel the 800 lb gorilla in the room is all the doping that was done by Russia and the lack of repercussions when it was uncovered.
Court of Arbitration for Sport returned medals to Russians in Sochi. Accusations in the Russian state doping program are political propaganda. You should study the matter in more detail.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:00 AM

4,082 posts, read 2,158,753 times
Quote:
Athletes use doping in all countries. They must be caught and punished. But you can not ban all athletes.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:29 AM

1,528 posts, read 729,353 times
I remember as a kid we used to watch the Olympics on TV many nights during its run. I particularly liked the winter olympics as I liked the sports and the overall atmosphere. I looked forward to it and I was always sad to see it ending. It seemed like a special time to me.

Today, sitting down as a family and watching ANYTHING for hours is just not really done as much. This past Olympics came and went with very little notice for us. Perhaps a bit sad as I think about what it meant to me as a kid but times change.

Although the sports have evolved with snowboarding, etc to add to the excitement and make younger people more interested, the whole concept of spectator sports is out of alignment with the preferences of younger people, I believe. Nothing changes overnight but I think that non-interactive, pure spectator events will fade with younger generations. A lot of the 'relevance' of the Olympics rests on peoples' TV watching habits since relatively few people around the world actually attend. Therefore, changing habits will kill it over time. The TV audience has been traditionally built through hype - morning shows, nightly news, etc, done from the Olympics, etc. They also promote the athletes' stories and get people interested. So with more fragmented TV and other entertainment, it will become increasingly difficult to build hype and interest in it.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 1,702,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
There could be a rotation of cities that have more recent Olympic infrastructure and people would actually go visit
Summer
Los Angeles
Sydney
London

Winter
Vancouver
Lillehammer
Calgary
Yeah, I suppose having it here once every 12 years would help utilize all the white elephants that are sitting on site.
But on the OP, the Olympics are still regarded as the pinnacle to a lot of sports, it may be dying but should always be on the once every 4 years calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or