Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times

Advertisements

Imagine if, at the closing ceremony, the President of the IOC says, "And now, in accordance with tradition, I declare the Games of this Olympiad/Winter Olympics closed; and call upon the youth of the world to assemble four years from now in THIS SAME PLACE to celebrate the Games of the next Olympiad/Winter Olympics
Where should this same place be?
I'm not including a poll since there are many sites possible where the games have never been held. Some of the most memorable venues are not available due to political turmoil or physical deterioration. Not necessarily the same place for both, but SLC or Los Angeles/Mammoth would work as would Tahoe or Vancouver.
Comments?

Seems like an obvious question so, moderator, if this is a stale rehash delete the thread and direct me on course, please.

Last edited by Crashj007; 02-16-2018 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
I guess the best logical answer is Beijing. They hosted summer 2008 and are hosting winter 2022. They already have the infrastructure for summer and will have brand new stuff for winter.
Could do Paris/Albertville

Old 02-17-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I guess the best logical answer is Beijing. They hosted summer 2008 and are hosting winter 2022. They already have the infrastructure for summer and will have brand new stuff for winter.Could do Paris/Albertville
Yes, that infrastructure has been retained to a large degree. Although the designated locale is Beijing, I think the skiing is far away. The indoor events could be anywhere in town. International access is good.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:18 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
For Winter, I'd pick Vancouver or somewhere in Europe like Norway or Bavaria or Switzerland. If it were a permanent location, the facilities could be built pretty much anywhere as an international enterprise so having a good long term area is better than just picking current facilities.

The summers are much harder. Part of me says Greece in honor of the origin but it would have to be an international enterprise there to build/rebuild the facilities. Or if it's a new permanent location, and international enterprise, current facilities don't matter, so perhaps a location with good access, and a good summer climate -- not too hot and humid. Colorado Springs for example. Or along the Mediterranean.

An interesting thought is in the right location, probably Europe, where there are both summer and winter climates close together, is to build an Olympic City for the sole purpose of the games. Since between summer and winter they are held every two years, it would be a near constant operation.

Just not a fan of Beijing. Yes, they put on a good show, but I'm not a fan of rewarding them for their politics and environment outside the public image.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
As the IOC's incompetence and greed destroys its brand, other international events and organizations rise in prominence by default. Someone may buy the Olympic name as the IOC goes bankrupt. Locations that are both politically and environmentally stable enough will be rare, so a permanent location may not be possible.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:13 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
One thing for sure, there will always be the everpresent political ignorance. The world will need to continue to do the best it can with the Olympics; whether it be presented in one certain venue/area -- or as it always has been -- in different places around the world.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:02 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Norway for the Winter Games.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
As the IOC's incompetence and greed destroys its brand, other international events and organizations rise in prominence by default. Someone may buy the Olympic name as the IOC goes bankrupt. Locations that are both politically and environmentally stable enough will be rare, so a permanent location may not be possible.
To you rpoint:
Red Gerard, winner of a Gold in Snowboarding said he didn't realize the Olympics was such a big deal until he stood on the podium. He thought it was all about the X Games.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
To you rpoint:
Red Gerard, winner of a Gold in Snowboarding said he didn't realize the Olympics was such a big deal until he stood on the podium. He thought it was all about the X Games.
He's 17. There's an awful lot he still doesn't know.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:36 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
I saw this before (I think on C-D but I’m not sure) but for developing or recently developed countries, it is still prestigious to host the Olympics. It’s a chance for them to display their culture and innovation.

If they have the Olympics permanently located in France or China, then I think it’d be kind of boring. Of course certain countries already have great infrastructure to host them, but it doesn’t mean that will want to for "forever".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports