Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:24 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

Clearly s clueless OP! Sorry, but there are lots of cities with great sports teams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie 2010 View Post
Dallas has all the major sports plus WNBA with Professional Cricket & Lacrosse coming soon.
you lose cred for that

Old 02-22-2018, 10:22 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
LOL too bad the sports teams from all of those cities (except for maybe the Cowboys, and even then..) aren't anything to write home about performance wise.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:12 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Cow turd is an idiot.

It really depends on what sports you watch and what part of the country you are from. I quit watching NFL and NBA years ago and never watched baseball. In the Southeast it is all about college football. I thought Tuscaloosa, Alabama was the most relevant sports city. lol

Old 02-22-2018, 01:59 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Strictly from a pro sports perspective: Boston/NY/Philly/Chicago at the top in any order. SF/OAK, Pitt, St. Louis, Detroit tier 2. Seattle, KC, DC/Baltimore, ATL tier 4 and then everyone else. Dallas and LA are laughable to even be considered.

I grew up in Boston, have lived in LA for 12 years, lived in Bay Area and DC area for a couple of years, have family in FL and Chicago so spend plenty of time in those areas and spent plenty of time in NY as well so I have some perspective.

Boston/NY/Philly/Chicago fans are the only that I know that following and talking about teams year round. In December people are talking about the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Mets, Cubs and following winter meetings, trades, free agency etc. In the summer people are talking Pats, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Bears and following draft, summer work outs, training camp etc.

In LA people don't even follow teams in season unless they are in first place. When I moved to LA the only team that mattered was USC football because they were one of the top teams every year. Now nobody but USC alum care about USC football. We now have two NFL teams that nobody cared about until the second half of this year when it was obvious that the Rams would make the playoffs then all of the sudden everyone was a Rams fan. Nobody knows anything about hockey here but if the Kings get past the first round of the play offs you start seeing those stupid Kings flags on people's cars. But I dare you to go up to someone with a Kings t shirt on and ask them what the blue line is because they'll look at you like you have two heads. The Dodgers have gained some popularity again over the last couple of years because they have been a contender. But when the Dodgers sucked for about 2 months after the all star break last year the fans went back into hibernation until they started winning again. The Lakers have a decent fanbase because of history. The Clippers have been better then the Lakers for years and still have no fans in LA

Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 PM

724 posts, read 559,376 times
This poll would make more sense if it asked "Is Cowherd a pandering moron?" If he just wanted to cover regions, Miami and maybe even Houston might be a better representative. I get that the Cowboys have 5 championships and are a big national brand, but the Spurs have won 5 and no one thinks of SA as a primary sports city.

He should just admit he wants the same 4 teams to be good because everyone has a extreme reaction one way or another for or against it.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Has the OP ever heard of this city called Boston ? Each of their 4 major sports teams has won at least 1 championship this century, and three of the 4 have won multiple championships this century . What a stupid post.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Has the OP ever heard of this city called Boston ? Each of their 4 major sports teams has won at least 1 championship this century, and three of the 4 have won multiple championships this century . What a stupid post.
Read the first post. He is only reporting on a stupid story by a guy who is AFAIC on steroids--that would be Colin Cowherd. And I'm glad the OP addressed this story.

Cowherd got his rep from his career on ESPN-he has been with Fox Sports 1 for a while now. I check in from time to time on the "bantering gasbag gabfests" as I call it--that would be ESPN's Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption. You also have this type show on Fox with Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless. I hadn't heard anything about this at all from these three shows or Dan Patrick and on occasion I listen late night to NBC Sports Radio as well.If they have reported on this story, well, I missed it. I should be thankful for THAT!

Boston as a sports market? Heh, it'll be forever when an NBA club will have a title run like the Celtics did from the mid 1950's to 1969. Then when they had to rebuild they were back again in 1976, winning the title over the Phoenix Suns in one of the best NBA best of seven finals I ever saw. And then you had those great clubs of the 1980's.The Patriots? As impressive a run on championships you can possibly have. The Red Sox. A quality franchise--have won 3 World series since 2004. The Boston Bruins in hockey? In their history they have won 6 Stanley Cups, the most recent was 2011.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM

724 posts, read 559,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I guess I should've included "Colin Cowherd says.....do you agree?" instead of people bashing me If it makes you feel better, he hates Philadelphia sports fans the most.

https://youtu.be/dM0jsx9_o4A

Maybe his whole intent is to say crazy things like this so we talk, and people investigate his show, and he gets better ratings. In real life, people I know hold him up to this grail of excellence in sports analysis, which I don't get at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Read the first post. He is only reporting on a stupid story by a guy who is AFAIC on steroids--that would be Colin Cowherd. And I'm glad the OP addressed this story.

Cowherd got his rep from his career on ESPN-he has been with Fox Sports 1 for a while now. I check in from time to time on the "bantering gasbag gabfests" as I call it--that would be ESPN's Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption. You also have this type show on Fox with Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless. I hadn't heard anything about this at all from these three shows or Dan Patrick and on occasion I listen late night to NBC Sports Radio as well.If they have reported on this story, well, I missed it. I should be thankful for THAT!

Boston as a sports market? Heh, it'll be forever when an NBA club will have a title run like the Celtics did from the mid 1950's to 1969. Then when they had to rebuild they were back again in 1976, winning the title over the Phoenix Suns in one of the best NBA best of seven finals I ever saw. And then you had those great clubs of the 1980's.The Patriots? As impressive a run on championships you can possibly have. The Red Sox. A quality franchise--have won 3 World series since 2004. The Boston Bruins in hockey? In their history they have won 6 Stanley Cups, the most recent was 2011.
I agree with everything you say. Its funny how FS1 was supposed to be this great alternative to ESPN, but they just ended up being the exact same thing

Old 02-24-2018, 01:59 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I visited Boston in the early 2000s (before they won the series) and got the feeling it was a big baseball and hockey town. They'd even play minor league hockey on TVs in bars, and it being March people were really excited for the upcoming Red Sox season (even though it was still during the era of Yankee dominance). Didn't see or hear anything about the Patriots in that time. The Celtics are also only a big deal when they're winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports