Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

It's the end of the year 2006, and we've had some great stories in sports this year. The Longhorns defeating the huge favorite USC Trojans, the Steelers becoming the third team in the NFL to win 5 Super Bowls (and they were the lowest seed to ever do that), the Heat winning 4 strait...
I know a few of you have already let out your right to brag, so if you didn't, here's your chance to rub it in your rivals faces before the year ends. Here is the list of the major National and World champions from 2006...

NFL: Pittsburg Steelers
College Football: Texas Longhorns
NBA: Miami Heat
WNBA: Detroit Shock
Men's College Hoops: Florida
Women's College Hoops: Maryland
MLB: St. Louis Cardinals
College Baseball: Oregon St.
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
MLS: Houston Dynamo
NASCAR: Jimmie Johnson

So there you go, champions for at least 300 more days. Here's to you and your respected favorite teams (or driver), and enjoy those bragging rights, because a couple of teams on this list will not repeat next year. If there's any I forgot, let me know.
Oh, yeah...Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 PM
JSV

2 posts, read 22,457 times
Way to go!!!!! although i gotta say that Jimmie Johnson was a dissapointment, and so was the Miami Heat, but as long as my longhorns made it!!!!!

Old 12-11-2006, 01:24 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,746 times
Big time braggin rights here
Tennessee 53 Georgia 21

I respect Mark Richt,he's a great coach and a devoted christian but I can't stand this man beating us.I live in Georgia so being a Vols fan makes it great.I live on Georgia 138,this is one of the main strips to Athens and every home game Georgia has,138 is packed with Georgia fans and all their flags and magnets on their vehicles.I didn't make it to the game but waited for the crowd of cars to hit 138.Then I got my Tennessee flags and put them on my truck and headed out to taunt the Georgia fans.It was grand.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:59 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
The Dallas Cowboys probably won't make to the Super Bowl (although I still hope) but they did beat the Houston Texans YEA and they were the first to beat the undefeated Colts YEA

Old 12-11-2006, 02:13 PM

613 posts, read 798,216 times
Go Cowboys and Longhorns!

Cowboys still have a chance and the Longhorns would have maybe, had Colt not got hurt.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM

No offence, but did anyone except mabe the people in the Midwest watch the world series? The reason I ask is becaue baseball and the World Series doesn't seem very popular now.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 PM

Oh, and there is one champion I forgot. The Chicago Rush in the Arena Football Leauge. The AFL's popularity is also questionable.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No offence, but did anyone except mabe the people in the Midwest watch the world series? The reason I ask is becaue baseball and the World Series doesn't seem very popular now.
While the World Series was going on we were at a Dallas Stars hockey game (like I'm never not there) and the Mavericks were playing on the road. There are luxury boxes right behind us and they all have 2 tv sets in them and most had on the Mavericks on one and the Stars on the other. These guys sitting in the row right behind us got mad because they wanted to watch the World Series and could not believe that NO ONE had on the game. "What is this, that basketball game is preseason, THE World Series is ON". Sorry dude, this IS Dallas, Texas and most people would rather watch the hometown teams than a baseball game between two teams that we have no interest in. LOL!!!

I'm not a huge baseball fan. For one the game is way too slow paced for me. I have to go to the game in order to get into it. I can NOT watch it on tv at all. Hockey is about the only sport I can watch on tv but I LOVE going to the games.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Default Bad year

Well, the Devils had their 15-game winning streak at the end of last year's regular season into the playoffs, stealing the division from the Flyers and sweeping the Rangers. That was fun.

The Phillies did their usual playing with their heads up their asses for 4 months, then making a furious comeback that fell a game short of the playoffs, and the Packers are just human garbage right now

Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I totally watched the game.
Oh, wait.. I am from the Midwest.
And I live in Saint Louis.. figures.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports