Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,423,868 times

Advertisements

Chick Hearn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,554,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Dick Enberg has been a broadcaster a long time.Was broadcasting L.A. Angel games back in the early '70's, Right now he is calling a number of the college B-ball games on CBS. Has broadcasted golf, broadcasted gymnastics. But he is, and has been, one of the top NFL announcers for the better half of three decades. Was part of the #1 broadcasting team for NBC until CBS wrestled the contract from them in 1999.
doesn't he now do Padres games in San Diego? he also used to do tennis back when espn didn't have most of it monopolized.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
Gus Johnson. The guy just screams excitement. Pat Summerall was a good one. Benny Parsons was the only reason I ever watched NASCAR. Jim Ross (yes I consider WWE a sport) is a legend. So much emotion.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 PM

8,281 posts, read 23,046,703 times
Hometown guy: Brian Anderson who does do some postseason baseball stuff as well. Bob Uecker best radio guy around.

I love watching Orioles games and listening to Gary Thorne.

I really enjoy Matt Vasgersian although this is not a popular pick

I don't prefer Joe Buck and I would rather not have him do a broadcast however he knows how to let a huge moment in a baseball game "breather". This is a great skill that not too many announcers can do, sometimes not talking while seems hard to do but often is the right time to do. When the Giants won the world series and near the end of the game he would just shut up and let the crowd cheering and sounds of the game play on, it adds so much to a broadcast when they do this and Joe Buck is one of the best at timing the key moments and shutting up.

In Golf when the leader is walking up to the green the golf announcers shut up and just let the crowd take over.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,961,214 times
My all time favorite radio play by play for the Cleveland Browns, Nev Chandler. R.I.P. Back in the day I used like Dick Enberg.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:52 PM

148 posts, read 187,791 times
Soccer:

Ray Hudson
Bira Lima
Efan Ekoku

College Football:

Mike Mayock
Chris Spielman
Gary Danielson

Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,952,006 times
Gus Johnson - for obvious reasons

Mike Breen - This guy is no Marv Albert but he really is very steady and entertaining. He keeps Van Gundy straight when he off on those mindless rants.

Marv Albert - Makes the games exciting

Greg Grumbel - A little more exciting than Nantz

Kevin Harlan - Classic NBA commentator and very knowledgeable.

In the studio
Rick Kamla - He's great on NBA TV. Knows his stuff.

James Brown - one of the best in the business.

Sideline reporters

Michelle Tafoya - the best female sideline reporter, period.

Craig Sager - Entertaining, but also ask good questions.

David Aldridge - Knows there is to know about the NBA. Very good at what he does.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,783,134 times
As someone else mentioned I got to go with Jim Ross, yea its wrestling but the only word I can come up with is incredible, take a look at his call on the Undertaker vs Mankind at the HIC, when not only by script did the Undertaker throw him off a 15-20 ft high cage to the floor, but unscripted when Mankind fell through the top of the cage on to the mat that was covered in thumb tacks, it was an amazing moment captured perfectly by Jim Ross.

Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn were great together, yes I'm a Homer but they were awesome. As a kid listening to them on the radio when the Phillies were on the west coast at 1200am were great memories.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM

880 posts, read 2,021,306 times
Mel Allen NY Yankees he use to call a HR a Ballantine blast.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:03 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,052,104 times
I miss Harry Carey and Jack Buck.
I remember back when Harry Carrel would drink during the games, he would be so sloshed by the end of the game that he could barely talk. THis was back when cable was limited and WGN brought the Cubs into every home in America, before EPSN had 27 channels and Mtv used to actually show music videos all day.

Steve Stone had the hardest announcing job in baseball, holding back instead of saying "Harry what the Hell are you talking about!?!?!"
Remember the game when the ump got hurt? They had to remove the home plate umpire from the game, move the 3rd base umpire into his place. Harry's biggest drunk concern wasread in your drunken Harry Carey voice)
Harry:Well, Joe is a much bigger man than Larry and that chest protector may not fit on him

Steve: Harry, they can adjust it

(pause) Harry repeats line one
then
Do you think they have an adjustable Strap on the back of the chest protector?

Classic. Holy Cow

Of course, Steve Stone would give some interesting insight to a Cub players hitting statistics and compare him to some new prospect, Harry would answer with "The Dickersons from Gary Indiana are at the game today"
-----------

I remember a soft spoken, consummate gentleman as a kid named Merle Harmon who I once met when younger at one of his store openings. He was one of the friendliest, most down to earth people I ever met. I never heard his sports casting and if I did, I do not remember it, as I never watched WFL but he was a very interesting individual and entertained us with his behind the scenes stores of sports persons he knew.

I still miss Cosell's gaffs because they were at least entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVScwog05Xw

----------------------

Of people alive, I like the FOX NFL Sunday with Terry Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long and Michael Strahan. I have watched the other show, with Marino and company, the fox crew is so much more entertaining. I loved Madden more than anyone, He made the games fun to watch
And no, not just because of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1z03b1wveM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports