Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 08:41 PM

389 posts, read 330,087 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember back when the US Olympic team fielded only amateur collegiate level athletes? Back then the Olympics were truly special seeing these American college kids take on the world. When they allowed the NBA and NHL the Olympics lost its magic and became just another professional sports contest.

I know some countries trained their Olympic athletes full time. That's what made it exciting seeing American college kids take on those teams. The 1980 Olympics when the American hockey team shocked the world by beating the Russian national team. Had the team been composed of NHL all stars instead of American amateurs the victory wouldn't have meant anything.

I wish they would bring back the amateur status but I fear the magic is gone forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 PM

17,149 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
Does anyone remember back when the US Olympic team fielded only amateur collegiate level athletes? Back then the Olympics were truly special seeing these American college kids take on the world. When they allowed the NBA and NHL the Olympics lost its magic and became just another professional sports contest.

I know some countries trained their Olympic athletes full time. That's what made it exciting seeing American college kids take on those teams. The 1980 Olympics when the American hockey team shocked the world by beating the Russian national team. Had the team been composed of NHL all stars instead of American amateurs the victory wouldn't have meant anything.

I wish they would bring back the amateur status but I fear the magic is gone forever.
I'll give you the NBA. But the NHL I don't see as too big of an issue, mainly due to the fact that NHL players are from all over the world, and plenty of hockey Olympians are just as good as NHL players but play in other professional leagues.
I always had a blast watching Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne wreak havoc against opposing teams during the Olympics.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:01 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Didn't baseball, which is now discontinued in the Olympics, only have amateur level players too? (which is why you see Cuba winning it a lot, a bit like amateur boxing)

Old 06-21-2018, 01:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Didn't baseball, which is now discontinued in the Olympics, only have amateur level players too? (which is why you see Cuba winning it a lot, a bit like amateur boxing)

the reason for that is that the pros are already playing and are not available for summer olympics play. so you get college players instead, and perhaps minor league players as well.

as to the OP yes i do remember when the olympics were for amateur players. but you had countries like russia whose olypmians were generally all in the military, and their MOS was what ever their olympic sport was, that way russian could get around the rules about not paying their olympian athletes.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Which disciplines in Olympic Games are you talking about ? As far as Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming are concerned, Americans Europeans Soviets sent their best athletes always.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Which disciplines in Olympic Games are you talking about ? As far as Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming are concerned, Americans Europeans Soviets sent their best athletes always.

they sent their best amateur athletes, or int he case of the russians, and east germans, their best military athletes. remember that in the US at the time, the only support that olympic athletes got was what ever support they could garner. sometimes companies would step up and sign the athletes to endorsement contracts to help pay for training. other countries would use the government to support their athletes. in the case of the communist countries, the athletes were in the military, yes even the very young chinese athletes, kids as young as 10-14, and their MOS was what ever their sport was. they would train in their sport for at least eight hours per day, had their meals, housing, etc, all provided for them. and the US decided that allowing professional athletes play in the olympics would level the playing field.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:51 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they sent their best amateur athletes, or int he case of the russians, and east germans, their best military athletes. remember that in the US at the time, the only support that olympic athletes got was what ever support they could garner. sometimes companies would step up and sign the athletes to endorsement contracts to help pay for training. other countries would use the government to support their athletes. in the case of the communist countries, the athletes were in the military, yes even the very young chinese athletes, kids as young as 10-14, and their MOS was what ever their sport was. they would train in their sport for at least eight hours per day, had their meals, housing, etc, all provided for them. and the US decided that allowing professional athletes play in the olympics would level the playing field.

Okay but do you think that USA had better Professional Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimmers sitting at home and not participating in Olympics while USA only sent their best Amateur Athletes ?

Both sides sent their best only.

Whether you train daily or not, food and housing covered or not, it depends on the sports systems of different countries.

I agree with you regarding sponsorship and USSR not paying their Athletes but in Communist countries, Olympic champions were treated as superstars. They used to get big positions in Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports