U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 03:39 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,637,379 times

Advertisements

It’s becoming easier to fix games. Holding can be called at will and wipe out a play or not called. How do the Patriots have 0 penalties the other night. Yet a team like Cleveland gets screwed each week?

Old 10-17-2018, 04:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 872,013 times
Add too many commercials to the mix. I don't have any statistics, but it seems something like an hour of football interrupted by 2 hours of commercials.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:41 AM

5,580 posts, read 4,061,637 times
The biggest problem the NFL will have in the future is attracting an audience. Kids today are being discouraged from playing the game, once you have a few generations of kids who don't play the sport, you will have a generation of grand kids that don't watch...

Right now its a slow bleed... the NFL is so far and away the most popular sport in American, it will take several generations to erode that but just look at baseball (MLB), once America's past time... now dwindling in 3rd place behind the NFL and NBA...

Old 10-18-2018, 05:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 4,210,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Add too many commercials to the mix. I don't have any statistics, but it seems something like an hour of football interrupted by 2 hours of commercials.
Yah. I think it's something like you only watch like 11 minutes and 45 seconds of actual action time, the other 2 hours & 45 minutes you watch is either the offensive huddle, commercials, or the halftime show.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:00 AM

8,316 posts, read 13,719,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
It’s becoming easier to fix games. Holding can be called at will and wipe out a play or not called. How do the Patriots have 0 penalties the other night. Yet a team like Cleveland gets screwed each week?
Have you considered the possibility that New England has better coaches and players than Cleveland?

Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM

7,720 posts, read 19,107,389 times
I used to laugh and make fun of the people that would make these claims but this year I am officially one of them. After watching this years NFL and all the ticky tack calls and no calls. I'm out!!!

I'll just watch college football from now on, less calls and they all play with max effort.

I really can't believe I left the NFL but it's so different than 80's or 90's football, and the same goes for the NBA, the 90's were fantastic, now it's just iso-ball.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM

8,202 posts, read 5,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I used to laugh and make fun of the people that would make these claims but this year I am officially one of them. After watching this years NFL and all the ticky tack calls and no calls. I'm out!!!

I'll just watch college football from now on, less calls and they all play with max effort.

I really can't believe I left the NFL but it's so different than 80's or 90's football, and the same goes for the NBA, the 90's were fantastic, now it's just iso-ball.
The NBA has become hideous. It's basically become a celebrity ****-show of long-range jumpers and lack of defense.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:40 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,377,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Have you considered the possibility that New England has better coaches and players than Cleveland?
Nope, never formed that thought in the nearly two decades that the Patriots have been good and the Browns bad. Thanks for the helpful suggestion! It's this kind of insight that clarifies calls like this:

https://twitter.com/ramzy/status/105...s-123630639%2F

While initially upsetting to Browns fans, it's actually inspiring that if Baker Mayfield can learn how to get a flag on this play from better QBs such as Brady and Rodgers, then he too can be a winner! Football is more of a casual thing that folks in Northeast Ohio are still learning to grasp, so the more light you can shine on this, the better!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 AM

8,316 posts, read 13,719,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Nope, never formed that thought in the nearly two decades that the Patriots have been good and the Browns bad. Thanks for the helpful suggestion! It's this kind of insight that clarifies calls like this:

https://twitter.com/ramzy/status/105...s-123630639%2F

While initially upsetting to Browns fans, it's actually inspiring that if Baker Mayfield can learn how to get a flag on this play from better QBs such as Brady and Rodgers, then he too can be a winner! Football is more of a casual thing that folks in Northeast Ohio are still learning to grasp, so the more light you can shine on this, the better!
It is a damn shame the NFL has sabotaged the careers of Tim Couch, Colt McCoy, DeShone Kizer, Brady Quinn, Branden Weeden, Seneca Wallace, Johnny Maziel, Cody Kessler, Derek Anderson, Charlie Frye, Spurgon Winn, Ken Dorsey, and Bryan Hoyer in order to stick it to Cleveland; while also giving all the calls to New England.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 10-22-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,270,455 times
The problem is the way this league is run. A coward like Goodell who has pussified the league because he is more worried about lawsuits has turned this league into one that can’t define what holding is, what roughing the passer is , what a fumble or forward pass is.....can’t even define what a catch is.

These coaches challenge the most minuscule plays with that dreadful replay. Horrible to watch. The ,eagle used to be the most TV friendly to the viewer...not anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports