U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:36 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,696,172 times

Advertisements

With all the rule changes and officiating problems, I really believe the nfl is becoming more difficult to watch.

I want to protect the quarterbacks also, but the rule changes have essentially made the nfl a flag football league. It is so hard to know what is roughing and what is not. Just like it is difficult to know what is a catch or incomplete pass.

The league has become an officials league. Officials are dominating the game and taking the game away from the players. Games now have 25 to 30 penalties....holding called every other play.

Aside, from the kneeling incidents, which didn't greatly affect me....the nfl is doing a great job in killing interest in their product. It is becoming harder to watch this every week.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 AM

8,316 posts, read 13,719,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
The league has become an officials league. Officials are dominating the game and taking the game away from the players. Games now have 25 to 30 penalties....holding called every other play.
Through three weeks, the average game has had 17 penalties. On average, 2 a game are declined, leaving 15 total penalties enforced per game (source). To compare, in 2009 13.85 flags thrown per game with 1.58 average declined per game. That leaves an average of 12.27 enforced penalties per game (source). Your numbers are way off.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM

14,503 posts, read 7,753,917 times
The players are confused, the fans are confused, and the pace of the game is getting like Baseball now. The product is suffering. It seems every receiver now expects a flag when they don't catch a ball, and if you look at the quarterback a flag is thrown. Terrible.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:54 PM

2,182 posts, read 802,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The players are confused, the fans are confused, and the pace of the game is getting like Baseball now. The product is suffering. It seems every receiver now expects a flag when they don't catch a ball, and if you look at the quarterback a flag is thrown. Terrible.
I agree. QBs are making millions a year; they know when they go into it, there's a chance they could be seriously injured. The new roughing the QB rule is making FB less fun to watch. Almost every good QB tackle results in a roughing the QB penalty. Ridiculous.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 PM

369 posts, read 257,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
with all the rule changes and officiating problems, i really believe the nfl is becoming more difficult to watch.

I want to protect the quarterbacks also, but the rule changes have essentially made the nfl a flag football league. It is so hard to know what is roughing and what is not. Just like it is difficult to know what is a catch or incomplete pass.

Aside, from the kneeling incidents, which didn't greatly affect me....the nfl is doing a great job in killing interest in their product. It is becoming harder to watch this every week.
agreed

Old 09-26-2018, 01:17 AM

5,416 posts, read 6,273,171 times
I stopped paying attention to the NFL last year, it's just getting terrible each year it passes.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:44 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,312,417 times
The NFL was always a TV show more than a sport, really geared for the American TV viewer. Now it is just a dated TV show from the past that should be canceled. American football is just not that good of a sport, from any perspective. It's more of a vehicle for selling TV ads and expensive gear and apparatus. Now it is all mixed up in ruling class divide and concur politics too, it is just not something that people should pay attention to or spend energy on.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 PM

931 posts, read 525,757 times
Was just talking about this today. Even an announcer said, "with the way these rules are going, Rodgers can play until he is 55."

I agree. Let's see some football. Play the f-ing sport! I get absolute roughness, but even Clay Matthews is questioning why he gets flags. He is just playing the game. Smh.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 4,210,148 times
The problem with the NFL started 8-10 years ago when the CTE/concussion study first came out, or became big news. Goodell the NFL commissioner for the most part ignored it, and did nothing about it, and now with all the studies and lawsuits out there he has gone way to far in the other direction where he's basically made it a flag football league. I'll still stand by 2 things, where if EITHER of these 2 things were implemented, it would be a much better & safer sport.

1) He (Goodell) should have attacked the issue right away, instead of ignoring it.
2) Get rid of all those pads and protection players wear. Call me crazy, but you look at rugby, and these guys get hit almost as often as NFL players do, these guys have no pads on, yet almost no one gets injured. Why do you think that is?? Because rugby players actually know how to tackle correctly! With all this protection, everyone thinks they are invincible, so no one teaches proper tackling technique which is why they are left with lawsuits galore. Take out all the pads, and the players would have to start learning how to tackle correctly.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 PM

4,997 posts, read 2,072,067 times
Rugby players are hurt just as often and suffer concussions. All impacts sports are inherently dangerous. As to the NFL and QBs, blame TV and Madden sports. All these players are taught how to tackle properly. But a change happened where it became about 'hitting' the QB, and other players. Well that is the problem. Tackle properly and those penalties go away. The danger remains of course but that's the bigger problem that will take down the NFL in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports