U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 PM

876 posts, read 1,183,860 times

Advertisements

I am not really a sports-oriented person but I know some parents who are totally invested in their children's sports life. As in, almost every hour not at work, or at church, or sleeping is devoted to their kids' sports practice, or preparing for sports, or driving to/from sports. It's their passion and their life. They seem happy so more power to them. Given that, I was very curious about this article and thought I'd post it in the Sports Forum

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartanntp

Is this the kind of thing that a super supportive Mom should do to support her kids in fulfilling their dreams or is this over the top?

Last edited by ersatz; 10-04-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 08:10 AM

7,741 posts, read 5,326,875 times
This is stupid. I'm pretty much a "soccer dad" and there is no way I'd do this. How do you expect your child to get better if he doesn't actually EARN his position?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 AM

5,039 posts, read 2,725,064 times
Yes. Very much over the top! Ridiculous, actually.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:15 PM

2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This is stupid. I'm pretty much a "soccer dad" and there is no way I'd do this. How do you expect your child to get better if he doesn't actually EARN his position?
The issue here is the kid played two years JV. Since he could not make Varsity as a junior he was told he could not continue to play JV taking away a spot from a younger freshman. So basically his HS soccer days are finished. I can see both points here, although from a legal perspective I doubt this case will go anywhere. Best the parent just takes the kid to play club ball somewhere if not already doing so.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:09 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,326,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The issue here is the kid played two years JV. Since he could not make Varsity as a junior he was told he could not continue to play JV taking away a spot from a younger freshman. So basically his HS soccer days are finished. I can see both points here, although from a legal perspective I doubt this case will go anywhere. Best the parent just takes the kid to play club ball somewhere if not already doing so.
Just basing this off of my experience with my son who is currently playing at the "elite" Academy level but... Isn't Academy/Club soccer generally better than HS soccer?

Of course, there is then the issue that the parents will have to travel all over the place with the kid, as opposed to his practices (and some games) being on school grounds.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 PM

2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Just basing this off of my experience with my son who is currently playing at the "elite" Academy level but... Isn't Academy/Club soccer generally better than HS soccer?

Of course, there is then the issue that the parents will have to travel all over the place with the kid, as opposed to his practices (and some games) being on school grounds.
Yes, absolutely especially select teams. Now depending on the area one lives, some clubs have A teams and B teams at each age group and participate in leagues at various levels. I just hate to see the kid not having a place to play if he really likes the sport. I guess I would be leaning toward allowing him to continue playing JV even though a Jr. I do know when it comes to seniors in all sports, various states have rules concerning the eligibility of seniors playing JV, but no restrictions on juniors.

Speaking of HS Soccer versus club ball; I knew of a kid that was playing ODB, and should of been playing Varsity as a freshman, but did not make the cut. It was a public school and the coach was an idiot. The kids ODP coach (also a D2 college coach) called the HS coach asking why his player did not make varsity and the reply was; well he is a little timid around the older kids. The kid played through the season on JV, and his ODP coach noticed a regression and told the kid to quit. That HS ball was gonna ruin him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports