U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 PM

11,470 posts, read 16,999,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I often asked this question of players who are traded mid-season and show up for work the next day. But the way players are coddled I have little doubt they have a team guy to hook them up with a furnished place, at least to start.
A few years ago, the Skins grabbed someone late in the season. I cannot remember who or for what position, but he had no team at that moment.

Anyway, I read in the WP that he would be staying in one of the hotel rooms that the team rented long term.

I am surprised teams do not build modest dormitories for quick acquisitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM

7,292 posts, read 5,428,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Back in the day when I played Minor League Baseball we lived with host families. Teams needed rooms for the players and the home owners liked the extra income it brought. I lived with several different families and was always treated like a member of those families.
Junior Hockey players do that, they kind of have to since they're Amateurs and a lot of them are 16-17.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:44 PM

8,109 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Junior Hockey players do that, they kind of have to since they're Amateurs and a lot of them are 16-17.
I did that when playing at the Midget level. I believe this can and often does go on for years, until the player decides to move on his own.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:36 PM

1,833 posts, read 733,330 times
I have a friend who owns a condo that he rents on a month to month basis and always rents it to a baseball player during spring training. They usually trash the place so he gets a hefty deposit up front that he will use to fix the place up again.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:15 AM

3,272 posts, read 1,326,117 times
My mom lives in a more luxury townhome commute and they had someone in the NFL renting there for several years. Apparently it was trashed when he left, even though he was married with two small kids.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:13 PM

5,661 posts, read 5,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My mom lives in a more luxury townhome commute and they had someone in the NFL renting there for several years. Apparently it was trashed when he left, even though he was married with two small kids.
Got traded last moment, and no time to clean up his kids mess.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:02 PM

8,109 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Got traded last moment, and no time to clean up his kids mess.
I could see this happen if he were single with no kids, but typically, when married with kids, the man will move first, and the rest follow shortly. There are things involved such as school relocation, among others, that take time for a family. I'd be surprised if the wife and kids packed and shipped off the minute he was traded.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:30 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,839,817 times
When I watched the 30 for 30 Jordan rides the bus they had on that episode the real estate agent in birmingham who sold Jordan his home in that city. She from what I understood is essentially or I guess was (its been a minute since the early 90s) the team's real estate agent. In other words when I guy joins the club they hook them up with her and she finds them a place be it for rent or for own.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:27 AM

39 posts, read 12,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How do pro athletes find housing?

I mean in the minor, major leagues, top flights internationally, or even second tier leagues for any team sport.

Individual, you can just live wherever, you make your own schedule.

But with team, you have to live near the team. But you can be traded, cut, any moment. Do they just live in hotels? Most landlords want at least a year unless you pay upfront. If you are a minor league, or second tier league player, you dont make much. Housing accommodations must eat into their paychecks a lot.

What about furniture? What do pro athletes do for housing?

A lot simply rent, because the truth is, there is only a minority of players who remain playing for the same team for 5 plus years. Most of them will spend their careers moving from team to team.

Old Today, 12:15 PM

2,585 posts, read 1,822,230 times
Here is a good watch on housing from a guy that played for several different organizations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbEuLJcDX0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or