U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 AM

5,661 posts, read 5,850,289 times

Advertisements

How do pro athletes find housing?

I mean in the minor, major leagues, top flights internationally, or even second tier leagues for any team sport.

Individual, you can just live wherever, you make your own schedule.

But with team, you have to live near the team. But you can be traded, cut, any moment. Do they just live in hotels? Most landlords want at least a year unless you pay upfront. If you are a minor league, or second tier league player, you dont make much. Housing accommodations must eat into their paychecks a lot.

What about furniture? What do pro athletes do for housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 12:32 PM

8,109 posts, read 5,610,493 times
A lot of them rent apartments, and many who don't have multi-year contracts share homes/live with others.

Also, lots of times, they get group rates/deals in certain communities. I know here, lots of the soccer players live in a specific townhouse complex.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:02 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,724,877 times
I wouldn't be surprised if some teams own townhouses or condos for players to live in during the pre-season and season. Certain sports have a lot of movement in their rosters so to make it easy for guys coming in mid-season they have a place to stay.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 PM

5,661 posts, read 5,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A lot of them rent apartments, and many who don't have multi-year contracts share homes/live with others.

Also, lots of times, they get group rates/deals in certain communities. I know here, lots of the soccer players live in a specific townhouse complex.
Even with renting, they may get cut or traded mid season.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:48 AM

9,849 posts, read 5,407,536 times
I often asked this question of players who are traded mid-season and show up for work the next day. But the way players are coddled I have little doubt they have a team guy to hook them up with a furnished place, at least to start.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 AM

8,109 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I often asked this question of players who are traded mid-season and show up for work the next day. But the way players are coddled I have little doubt they have a team guy to hook them up with a furnished place, at least to start.
This, and/or they typically room with someone else. Unless they have wife and kids, then things get a bit more complicated, but very likely the scenario you presented.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:51 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,822,230 times
Minor league teams usually block out a bunch of apartments and deduct the rent from the players salary. At the top pro level there are plenty of short stay options for players until they decide on a more permanent residence.

Last edited by jazzy jeff; 10-30-2018 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 09:11 AM

7,292 posts, read 5,428,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Even with renting, they may get cut or traded mid season.
The thing is, at the minor league level, they're often young, and aren't making the big bucks, and they all rent places together. A family member rented to the local semi-pro Soccer team, 4 guys in a 4 bedroom house. One got traded, moved up, or cut? Someone else was coming in behind him. It isn't as if they don't have an entire team of guys in a similar situation.

On the Major League level they often have an agent or someone in the Front office that helps with that. As I understand it they'll coordinate Executive Housing for a time period.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 AM

8,363 posts, read 7,666,307 times
One of my girlfriend's husband is an agent (Lebron James) and she is a realtor.

She sells a lot of high end houses. We have the Heat, Dolphins, and Marlins.

A lot of ballers also have second homes here.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,822,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The thing is, at the minor league level, they're often young, and aren't making the big bucks, and they all rent places together. A family member rented to the local semi-pro Soccer team, 4 guys in a 4 bedroom house. One got traded, moved up, or cut? Someone else was coming in behind him. It isn't as if they don't have an entire team of guys in a similar situation.

On the Major League level they often have an agent or someone in the Front office that helps with that. As I understand it they'll coordinate Executive Housing for a time period.
Back in the day when I played Minor League Baseball we lived with host families. Teams needed rooms for the players and the home owners liked the extra income it brought. I lived with several different families and was always treated like a member of those families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or