U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

3,033 posts, read 3,409,597 times

Advertisements

I know, pro wrasslin isn't real. I get it.

Gene though, he was one of the best.

R.I.P. Gene

'Mean' Gene Okerlund, iconic interviewer of professional wrestling, dies at 76
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:57 PM

3,916 posts, read 7,496,106 times
There should be no disclaimer when commenting on anything pro wrestling related. These prudes on here deserve no explanation.

Gene Okerlund certainly was one of the best. He was involved in TV and Radio going back to the 60's. He worked for the tv station that aired AWA wrestling. In 1970 there was an opening for an announcer with the AWA. Verne Gagne approached Gene Okerlund and offered him the job. He started out PT, but eventually became FT. He held that position until late 1983 when Vince Mcmahon called him to join the rising juggernaut, the WWF. He was a part of the WWF through the company's legendary moments incuding the start of Hulkamania, WrestleMania, and so much more. In 93 he joined WCW and was part of that company's rise as amajor competitor to the WWF. Of course in WCW it all fizzled out at the end, but it was a great ride.

Okerlund in recent years had a WWE legends contract and made special appearance on podcast and radio shows along with autograph signing appearances. He may have been too fun for some of the old school wrestling purist, but there is no denying he was one of the best and I will boldly say up there with the late Gordon Solie and Jim Ross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or