U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 AM
 
9,760 posts, read 8,093,553 times
Reputation: 13172

Advertisements

Saw a local news story on college softball and up pops an image of a very overweight woman. Looking at the team photos I saw several women players who could be considered overweight or obese. I donít see such conditions on menís baseball today. Why so much obesity in college softball? Is it a lack of physically fit women interested in playing the sport that theyíll take the best of whomever is interested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2019, 02:02 AM
 
21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Reputation: 19472
Probably because the vast majority of 5'5 115# women lack the physicality to swing a bat forcefully enough to launch a softball over the outfield fence, let alone past the infield unlike your unsuitable comparison to baseball and a man's physique. Have you ever noticed the same hold's true in women's track and field events such as the discus, javelin and hammer throw? Where by the way they happen to maintain a fairly high level of physical fitness, which isn't always about height versus weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 AM
 
Location: 60630
12,221 posts, read 17,917,220 times
Reputation: 11658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Probably because the vast majority of 5'5 115# women lack the physicality to swing a bat forcefully enough to launch a softball over the outfield fence, let alone past the infield unlike your unsuitable comparison to baseball and a man's physique. Have you ever noticed the same hold's true in women's track and field events such as the discus, javelin and hammer throw? Where by the way they happen to maintain a fairly high level of physical fitness, which isn't always about height versus weight.
Thanks for this answer .
I also see plenty of overweight men playing sports such as baseball and football. Mainly football. But they are great at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,502 posts, read 6,501,907 times
Reputation: 11822
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Thanks for this answer .
I also see plenty of overweight men playing sports such as baseball and football. Mainly football. But they are great at it.
Yes. And they are overweight, yes, which while unhealthy, doesn't necessarily mean "unfit." Some of those fat football players can still sprint faster than most of us ever have. In short bursts anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale
1,096 posts, read 538,907 times
Reputation: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Saw a local news story on college softball and up pops an image of a very overweight woman. Looking at the team photos I saw several women players who could be considered overweight or obese. I don’t see such conditions on men’s baseball today. Why so much obesity in college softball? Is it a lack of physically fit women interested in playing the sport that they’ll take the best of whomever is interested?
I am a softball fan, and there are plenty of physically fit athletes on those teams. In the cases of heavier athletes, they usually compensate for the lack of speed with extreme power hitting or pitching. For the heavy runners, the coach just substitutes in really fast pinch runners for base hits. The pinch runner is a critical part of the game, so there is a balance. Some people call them courtesy runners.

Don't overlook the speed of the pinch runners. They have legitimate sprint speed and are usually very lightweight - not obese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ84_lz06L4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top