U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:00 AM

3,030 posts, read 2,018,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Any kind really, it is just something to do - just another opportunity to get out with the crowd - to buy some peanuts and crackerjacks.
Since you'd have to travel, just look up the nearest track and go. You'll probably enjoy it.

When I was a kid, country fairs used to have harness races. I don't even know if there were bets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 12:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,570,106 times
I would buy the book Horse Racing for Dummies by Richard Eng.

I would listen to the Winning Ponies podcast every Thursday, he has really good guests on.

Open a DRF or Xpressbet account, I use Xpressbet and love the platform and the customer service shall anything ever go wrong but truth be told their better platforms with more info like TwinSpires and DRFbets.com I have a buddy who swears by nyrabets.

Also maybe pick up The Complete Handicapper Book by James Quin.

I would also just start watching races, handicap for fun with no money down and see how you do then reverse handicap see why that horse won.

If you are an analytical person you'll love trying to find the winners.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:25 PM

75 posts, read 27,249 times
Racing is a great game, but it can be intimidating to get involved in. There is a lot to digest. Wagering(types of wagers, cost of wagers, building multi-race tickets), handicapping, money management, different surfaces(dirt, turf, synthetic), different distances, etc.

Take your time before wagering any serious money. For whatever reason, people seem to have beginners luck when they first start, giving them a sense that it's easy. Read, read and read some more if you're serious about learning the game.

Rich Eng's book mentioned above is a good place to start. I hate to say it, because I'm not a big fan, but if you get TVG on your cable system, watch and listen. Just do not follow their wagering advice. There is also a Mon - Fri, 3 hour per day radio show on Sirius Radio called At the Races with Steve Byk. I highly recommend this show. You can also find it online at stevebyk.com.

You can find a lot of online articles about racing by going to Equidaily.com

Some other good radio shows that can be found online:
Thoroughbred LA - Saturday at Noon Eastern and Sunday at 11:00AM Eastern Thoroughbred Los Angeles
Vegas Track Talk: Weekends at 10:30AM Eastern at www.kshp.com
Race Day Las Vegas: Wed - Fri at 10:05AM Eastern, Weekends at 11:05AM Eastern Race Day Las Vegas
At the Track with Sam Spear: Sundays at 9:00AM Eastern. KNBR | The Sports Leader | KNBR-AM
Inside Racing: Saturdays at 10:00AM Eastern on iHeart Radio. Search for KEIB 1150

Just a word of caution from someone who got involved in the game as teenager nearly 40 years ago. There is no magic black box system for picking winners and making money. Do not fall for the touts claiming that you can get rich with their system or by subscribing to their selections. The one golden rule that will make you successful in the long run is to wager on horses who's odds are higher than their chances of winning, meaning value. This is easier said than done, but if you're consistently getting 5/1 on a runner who's true odds are 3-1 or less, you should be making money. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM

481 posts, read 97,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Thanks all for the input. Unfortunately South Carolina is a state where they desperately want to guide your spiritual and moral life - therefor there is NO gambling of any sort (except of course for the state lottery).

My interest in horse racing is not really about learning how to gamble, it is just a curiosity to do something/go someplace I have not yet experienced, and since I would have to go out of state to do it, I was just looking for a little insight as to what to expect.

Thanks again.
I get it blktoptrvl! I now live in Raleigh, NC. (I’m from Up-North). I’ve been going to the tracks for 30+ years, since my father took me to the track - I’ve been hooked ever since.

There aren’t ANY tracks in the Bible Belt!

Closest tracks are:

Keeneland, Churchill (Kentucky) - takes two flights each way.

GulfStream (near Miami) - there are direct non-stop flights to Ft.Lauderdale

Pimlico/Laurel (Baltimore)

Belmont, Aqueduct (Long Island)

Saratoga (near Albany, NY)

Going to the track is different than going to a football, basketball game etc. Even if you’re only betting 2 $, it’s as if you’re part owner of the horse! Lotta screaming, yelling - and cursing if you lose! EVERYONE has their own so-called system. Some people bet their fav numbers or their fav colors. Some people study the racing form - past performances of races and try and predict what horses will do today based on what they did in prior races.

Try-it - you’ll like it!

Last edited by TonyNC; 05-09-2019 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 11:46 AM

blktoptrvl!, actually, I suggest that you DON’T read/study all these books, or, watch races on TV (602 etc. on Directv).

I suggest that you simply go to a track w/someone who knows horse-racing! (Although, this may be a challenge finding a horse-racing fan in SC!). Have this person school you on-the-fly at the track! It simply ain’t rocket-science to learn the basics.

It’s kinda like sex! You can read books, and watch movies but they just ain’t the same as “doin-it!” And, once you “do-it” you’ll likely say “damn, I’ve been missing a LOT!”

My $.02

Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 PM

8,961 posts, read 6,498,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
I get it blktoptrvl! I now live in Raleigh, NC. (I’m from Up-North). I’ve been going to the tracks for 30+ years, since my father took me to the track - I’ve been hooked ever since.

There aren’t ANY tracks in the Bible Belt!

Closest tracks are:

Keeneland, Churchill (Kentucky) - takes two flights each way.

GulfStream (near Miami) - there are direct non-stop flights to Ft.Lauderdale

Pimlico/Laurel (Baltimore)

Belmont, Aqueduct (Long Island)

Saratoga (near Albany, NY)

Going to the track is different than going to a football, basketball game etc. Even if you’re only betting 2 $, it’s as if you’re part owner of the horse! Lotta screaming, yelling - and cursing if you lose! EVERYONE has their own so-called system. Some people bet their fav numbers or their fav colors. Some people study the racing form - past performances of races and try and predict what horses will do today based on what they did in prior races.

Try-it - you’ll like it!
After a 5 year hiatus Colonial Downs in New Kent County Virginia (20 miles east of Richmond) is supposed to open this August for live racing. A 5 week meet is planned but racing will be 3 days per week.

Beautiful track, I have been there twice. They mostly have turf racing. Bad luck both times but it's not going to discourage me from going back.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
After a 5 year hiatus Colonial Downs in New Kent County Virginia (20 miles east of Richmond) is supposed to open this August for live racing. A 5 week meet is planned but racing will be 3 days per week.

Beautiful track, I have been there twice. They mostly have turf racing. Bad luck both times but it's not going to discourage me from going back.

I used to go to Alberta, VA OTB but they closed it a few years back. It was 2 hours from Raleigh. No tracks, no OTB is the Bible Belt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports