U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:19 PM

8,774 posts, read 5,606,850 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have a good primer to Horse Racing?

For someone who has never been to a horse race...

I've seen the movie "Let It Ride" which I thought was very funny.
  • Watching it, I got the impression that a typical race will last about 2 to 4 minutes?
  • Then the next race is some time away - maybe 45 minutes to an hour?
  • What do you do between races, and where are the best places for a newbie to watch a race?
  • If you were to bet for fun, as a newbie, is it best t just pick the favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:03 PM

21,260 posts, read 21,760,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

• Watching it, I got the impression that a typical race will last about 2 to 4 minutes?
  • What do you do between races, and where are the best places for a newbie to watch a race?
  • If you were to bet for fun, as a newbie, is it best t just pick the favorites?
*races are generally between 3/4 and 1 mile and take between a minute and a half to 2 minutes for those distances.
*races are generally scheduled 30 minutes apart
*there is much to do between races
---if you lose, beotch about other jockey interference with your horse or your jockey's lack of skill and rip your ticket up and throw it in the air and utter some clever profanity
---if you win, loudly proclaim; "had em" and dash up to the betting window to collect your $2.60 show bet
---then go to the paddock to watch the next horses get ready, jot some doodles on your racing form and say stuff like; "that horse #2 just winked at me" or "I never have seen _____ with wraps on his front legs before", people within earshot will look at you and then furiously scribble something down on their program.
*move around to different spots, such as in the grandstand or at the finish line, my favorite place is way down in the front left on the rail so you catch all the horses coming around the last turn as they head into the home stretch bunched together. You can feel the ground tremble as they come around and you can hear the horses snorting and the jocks calling out to their horse and clamoring at each other...very exciting and you're about 20 feet away.
*betting favorites will usually guaranty a couple trips to the cashier, but occasionally take a risk for some longer odds. Just remember, somebody bet on de bay.

it ain't called the king of sports for nothing

Old 04-06-2019, 06:59 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,729,536 times
Maybe you want to see if you can get this book and read it. It will tell you the ups, downs and in-betweens of the industry. Unfortunately for the two remaining tracks in the Chicago area the industry will eventually be a thing of the past and great memories; the good, the bad and the ugly.

Best wishes in your handicapping.

WOULDA COULDA SHOULDA

Author Dave Feldman-turf writer for the Chicago Sun Times-draws from his years of experience at the track to weave numerous tales into one of the truly great compendiums of race track humor. Feldman has done it all, seen it all, won it all...and then lost it all. Within the wit and self-deprecating humor of this book are invaluable nuggets of horse playing wisdom every handicapper can put to use. This book is a long-time favorite of the AMERICAN TURF MONTHLY staff and is highly recommended as a holiday "stocking stuffer" for the horseplayer who has everything...or for anyone who has lost more than their fair share of photo finishes

https://www.americanturf.com/booksto...id=113&secid=6

Hawthorne Race Course

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_Race_Course

Arlington International Racecourse

Horse racing in the Chicago region has been a popular sport since the early days of the city in the 1830s, and at one time Chicago had more horse racing tracks (six) than any other major metropolitan area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_Park

Old 04-17-2019, 09:09 AM

10,801 posts, read 14,766,208 times
Quote:

You could get started by watching races from the comfort of your home for Belmont Park. NYRA web link lets you watch the races online without having to join a wagering site. Many tracks are now using TVG and to watch their races live streaming you have to join and if horse racing is not legal in your state they won't
accept your application. Between races two analysts will give their opinions on the horses due to run in the next race. The distances you'll see are 5 1/2 furlongs up to 7 furlongs. After that it's a mile, 1 and 1/16th, 1/8. 1/4 and the Belmont Stakes is a mile and a half. I did watch 2 races last year that were at 2 miles.
Listen carefully to the analysts, note the trainer, the owner and the jockey. Look at the odds.
I prefer the longer races than the sprints (5 1/2 to 7 furlongs). Mike Smith is a hall of fame jockey and he does not show up at a track unless he thinks he has a horse than can win. Chad Brown, Mike Maker, and a couple other trainers like Baffert, Asmussen, Mott and Pletcher can always be considered as having a chance in a race. Irad Ortiz Jr. is also to be considered.
Odds are stated as x/1 or 1/x
x/1 means you wager 1 to win x.
1/x means you wager x to win 1.
I avoid 1-9 favorites. Sometimes I'll pick a 2/5 or 3/5.
It's too easy for these high odds to be upset especially in the short races.
Also many of the favorites will pull up at the command of their jockey when it is realized they can't win. Many times I have had a favorite to place or show and they pulled up near the end and off the board. Not because they could not have continued and finished 2 or 3 but rather with no chance to win why expend the horse.

https://www.nyrabets.com/#betting101

Send me a private message if you desire a wagering site for horses.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Thanks all for the input. Unfortunately South Carolina is a state where they desperately want to guide your spiritual and moral life - therefor there is NO gambling of any sort (except of course for the state lottery).

My interest in horse racing is not really about learning how to gamble, it is just a curiosity to do something/go someplace I have not yet experienced, and since I would have to go out of state to do it, I was just looking for a little insight as to what to expect.

Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:26 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,729,536 times
Quote:
Thanks all for the input. Unfortunately South Carolina is a state where they desperately want to guide your spiritual and moral life - therefor there is NO gambling of any sort (except of course for the state lottery).

My interest in horse racing is not really about learning how to gamble, it is just a curiosity to do something/go someplace I have not yet experienced, and since I would have to go out of state to do it, I was just looking for a little insight as to what to expect.

Thanks again.
Okay and if you don't mind my asking which state/states were you considering to visit? My understanding is that many of the Illinois horsemen are moving their stables elsewhere, in close proximity (out of state wise) nearer to where you are. Regardless, I hope when you do have the opportunity to go you have a good time, it is a beautiful sport to watch.

Not to be pushy...but I enjoy this atmosphere immensely.

Keeneland Spring Meet
April 4-26
Located in the Horse Capital of the World, Keeneland is an internationally renowned racecourse and the Thoroughbred industry’s leading auction house. Founded in 1936, Keeneland’s mission is to continually invest in the industry and to preserve the tradition of Thoroughbred racing.

4201 Versailles Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40510
Phone: (859) 254-3412
Toll Free: (800) 456-3412
Fax: (859) 255-2484
https://www.keeneland.com/

Churchill Downs Racing Club
Churchill Downs
700 Central Ave, Louisville, KY, 40208
Phone: 502.636.4400
https://www.churchilldowns.com/racin...ing/racingclub

LIVE RACING IS BACK! Coming Summer 2019
10515 Colonial Downs Parkway
New Kent, VA 23124
https://www.colonialdowns.com/

Iroquois Steeplechase
https://www.iroquoissteeplechase.org/

Old 04-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Okay and if you don't mind my asking which state/states were you considering to visit? My understanding is that many of the Illinois horsemen are moving their stables elsewhere, in close proximity (out of state wise) nearer to where you are. Regardless, I hope when you do have the opportunity to go you have a good time, it is a beautiful sport to watch.

Not to be pushy...but I enjoy this atmosphere immensely.

Keeneland Spring Meet
April 4-26
Located in the Horse Capital of the World, Keeneland is an internationally renowned racecourse and the Thoroughbred industryís leading auction house. Founded in 1936, Keenelandís mission is to continually invest in the industry and to preserve the tradition of Thoroughbred racing.

4201 Versailles Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40510
Phone: (859) 254-3412
Toll Free: (800) 456-3412
Fax: (859) 255-2484
https://www.keeneland.com/

Churchill Downs Racing Club
Churchill Downs
700 Central Ave, Louisville, KY, 40208
Phone: 502.636.4400
https://www.churchilldowns.com/racin...ing/racingclub

LIVE RACING IS BACK! Coming Summer 2019
10515 Colonial Downs Parkway
New Kent, VA 23124
https://www.colonialdowns.com/

Iroquois Steeplechase
https://www.iroquoissteeplechase.org/
As close to SC as possible. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:00 AM

10,801 posts, read 14,766,208 times
In Alabama there is dog racing which is about as close to your state as any horse track. While passing through there many years ago we stopped for a night of greyhound racing. The fake rabbit on the end of the stick was called Casey. As it came around the track the announcer said heeeere comes Casey and the dogs would chase it. Middle of the back stretch my dog leaves the track to chase a bird.
My $2 wager was toasted.
Horses don't chase birds. So horses are for you.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 1,994,538 times
Quote:

Thanks again.
What kind of horse racing interests you? Harness, or flats? If flats, Quarter horses (they run FAST for avout a quarter mile) or Thoroughbred (they are running in the Kentucky Derby today).

There is even the occasional Arabian horse race at certain American tracks. They're slower than Thoroughbreds, but have great endurance.

Harness racing is cool. The horses (Standardbreds) can run as often as weekly.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
What kind of horse racing interests you? Harness, or flats? If flats, Quarter horses (they run FAST for avout a quarter mile) or Thoroughbred (they are running in the Kentucky Derby today).

There is even the occasional Arabian horse race at certain American tracks. They're slower than Thoroughbreds, but have great endurance.

Harness racing is cool. The horses (Standardbreds) can run as often as weekly.
Any kind really, it is just something to do - just another opportunity to get out with the crowd - to buy some peanuts and crackerjacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports