Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren1302 View Post
the best soccer rule change to increase scores which everyone wants. Keeper should only be able to use there hands inside the 6

Everyone wants? Really? I am a huge soccer fan and soccer does not need to increase.

There is much more to sports than scoring and soccer is the perfect example of that. It is called the beautiful game because what is exciting is the build up, the attack, the amazing save, etc. Scoring is celebrated because it is very hard to do and should remain that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM

NFL:

1. Make a certain amount of players play both sides of the ball
2. Shorten the play clock
3. A fumble is fumble, get rid of the ground causing the fumble rule
4. Either get rid of or reduce TV timeouts.

The average NFL game has only 16-18 minutes of game play. Thats ridiculous. Changes need to be made so more of the 60 minutes is spent actually playing the game.

NBA.

1. ENFORCE TRAVELLING! I cant watch the NBA because every time I see a highlight on Sportscenter it is someone taking 3 or 4 steps to the basket to dunk. Make the players dribble and earn it.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
NFL:

1. Make a certain amount of players play both sides of the ball
2. Shorten the play clock
3. A fumble is fumble, get rid of the ground causing the fumble rule
4. Either get rid of or reduce TV timeouts.

The average NFL game has only 16-18 minutes of game play. Thats ridiculous. Changes need to be made so more of the 60 minutes is spent actually playing the game.

NBA.

1. ENFORCE TRAVELLING! I cant watch the NBA because every time I see a highlight on Sportscenter it is someone taking 3 or 4 steps to the basket to dunk. Make the players dribble and earn it.
I had the idea earlier in this thread to find some way to bring the rugby ruck back to football while still maintaining the forward pass and run blocking. If someone was to sit down and figure out a way to do that, I think you'd have just about the most perfect sport. It would accomplish the goal of making better use of game time and eliminate entirely the play clock.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
a previous post mentioned defensive pass interference should be 15 yards.

No !

I don't want to see the reciever getting mugged on every long pass play in order to prevent a long gain.

The rule already makes an exception for a pass that is deemed uncatchable.
Yes;I can see the mugging of the WR's now.The replay rule like that is in play now and if it gets worse will only delay the games even more. I do think the challenge rule allows enough now without teams using it to delay the game.I do think that i college football they need to protect the quarterback more because I see alot of late hits now in attempt to take the quarterback out.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 AM

491 posts, read 748,909 times
In the NFL they need to change the overtime rule so each team gets a fair chance to score not this first team to score crap.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
In the NFL they need to change the overtime rule so each team gets a fair chance to score not this first team to score crap.

The defense is just as much part of the team as the offense. Either your offense has to perform or your defense, its perfectly fair.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Football has about a million that need to be changed.
1. No team should be in jeopardy of more penalty yards than the other. Ball on one foot line, one team can be penalized 15 yards, but the other team only 6 inches, for the same infraction.

2. What's with the 40-yard penalty for kickoff going out of bounds?

3. Adopt the Canadian rule---if you want a touchback brought out to the 20, it'll cost you a point.

4. Here's a novel one. After the two-minute warning, the clock does not start until it is requested by a team that earns a first down. If the team that is ahead never earns a first down, the clock never starts. Like in baseball, the game is never over until the leading team gets the ball and earns a first down. Then they can start kneeling---the most exciting play in sports.

5. Spiking the ball is intentional grounding. How can it be anything else?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Baseball: Virtually abolish the existing Balk rule.

Limit the balk ONLY to the following:
1. Pitching without foot on rubber, or stepping on rubber withoutn the ball.
2. Cocking arm to thrown to any base or to plate, and not completing the throw.
Nothing else is a balk.

Let the pitcher do what he wants. It it fools the runner, too bad. But he can't fake the runner back--he has to throw.

At the present time, there is no balk rule. Whatever they are calling a balk is not written down in the rule book anywhere.
-------
Also, the half-swing is not in the rule book. Get rid of the half swing. If the bat-head enters the plane of the strike zone, its a strike, the plate ump calls it, no appeal.
-------------
Get rid of the batter's box and the catcher's box. Who cares where they stand? It's not enforced anyway.
---------
Pitcher going to his mouth. If he goes to his mouth, make him walk off the dirt and back again, if you' re so worried about him spitting on the ball. No penalty. Why should there be a penalty. Didn't used to be.
------------
Nothing needs to be done to speed up the game. The only people who want shorter games are the media covering the game, they want to get to the bar. Let them wait. For 50 bucks, fans want a game longer than a movie. Shorten the commercial breaks. If the fans can't sit there that long, play 7 innings. Or 5. Or open the gates to the ball park in the 3rd inning.
---------
Infield Fly Rule---abolish it. No player should ever be called out for proper play, without execution by the defense. It was established to eliminate the automatic double play. Well, then, call the batter out if he grounds out to an infielder. That's "automatic" too. Make the defense execute the DP on the infield fly. Half the time they wouldn't get it anyway, Sometimes it would be easy, sometimes not. If they absolutely must eliminate the double play on the infield fly, tell the umpires to declare it a foul ball (no more illogical than calling it an Out). If it drops, its foul. If it's caught it out.
-----
No more yellow lines, If the ball goes out, it's a home run. If it doesn't, its in play.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-15-2008 at 10:44 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The defense is just as much part of the team as the offense. Either your offense has to perform or your defense, its perfectly fair.
Then why has NO team ever, as long as I can remember, ever choose to kick if they win the coin toss? Because it is a HUGE advantage to win the toss in Overtime in the NFL.

You're not going to win in NFL overtime if you never get ball. Your defense can perform all day long and you're not going to win the ball game.
If defense is so important, then give both teams an opportunity to play it.

Make it like college, or at least not sudden death.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
I agree with everyone who says NFL should have college football style overtime. The NFL should also adopt college footballs style of challenges where the booth reviews every play.

I dont know if this is considered a rule but it is a major part of it. College football needs to show the BCS the door and go playoff because the system now, to quote coach Gundy, IS GARBAGE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports