U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:19 PM

35 posts, read 6,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
The stewards concluded that the winner interfered with 3 other horses, hence the DQ. Don't know how you came up with your statement (bolded).
The foul did not alter the result of the race. Country House was not impeded, had every chance to pass Max Security and actually lost ground in the stretch while very clear. The horses that were impeded faded badly when they had a chance, they were spent. The "foul" did not alter the finish of the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,149,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Birdsler View Post
The foul did not alter the result of the race. Country House was not impeded, had every chance to pass Max Security and actually lost ground in the stretch while very clear. The horses that were impeded faded badly when they had a chance, they were spent. The "foul" did not alter the finish of the race.
In Kentucky a horse may be disqualified just for causing interference. In other jurisdictions the stewards also consider whether another runner lost a better placing.

The fact that CH was not impeded has nothing to do with the stewards' decision. All that matters is that the winner caused interference (with 3 other horses).

ETA - these interference regs are to prevent a Wild Wild West situation, where riders can do whatever they want, disregarding the safety of other horses and riders. In the past a rider has used his crop on another rider's horse. Not cool.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 05-06-2019 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
if instead of horses, they were cars, then what the jockey did would be considered a racing incident, "rubbin's racing". however we are talking about living creatures, and the possibility of having to put a horse down due to a broken leg sustained in the race because of a move like this, or having a number of horses and jockeys injured or even killed if the horses got tangled up and cause a pile up, becomes greater as a result of moves like this one.

i also agree with the ruling, and the rules that prevent these things from happening.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:30 PM

8,956 posts, read 6,493,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Birdsler View Post
Wrong! It altered the race big time! I'm glad he was taken down, it was the right thing to do.

I bet on the horse Maximum Security bumped into first causing that chain reaction, War Of Will. There is no doubt in my mind he would have finished at least 2nd and he probably would have won at 17-1.

I saw it all go down because I was following him close. He was reserved the whole way while up close and was making a winning move when he got clobbered. He was clearly interfered with. I have no idea why the stewards didn't put the inquiry sign up. But I have seen thousands of races in the 34 years I have been following and they don't always catch. It happened very quickly.

The jockey of Long Range Toddy, Jon Court, was the one who filed the objection. Tyler Gaffalione War Of Will's jockey said he didn't claim foul because he didn't think the stewards would go along with it considering it was the Derby. I don't get that because he got the worst of it.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:23 PM

468 posts, read 165,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Wrong! It altered the race big time! I'm glad he was taken down, it was the right thing to do.

I bet on the horse Maximum Security bumped into first causing that chain reaction, War Of Will. There is no doubt in my mind he would have finished at least 2nd and he probably would have won at 17-1.

I saw it all go down because I was following him close. He was reserved the whole way while up close and was making a winning move when he got clobbered. He was clearly interfered with. I have no idea why the stewards didn't put the inquiry sign up. But I have seen thousands of races in the 34 years I have been following and they don't always catch. It happened very quickly.

The jockey of Long Range Toddy, Jon Court, was the one who filed the objection. Tyler Gaffalione War Of Will's jockey said he didn't claim foul because he didn't think the stewards would go along with it considering it was the Derby. I don't get that because he got the worst of it.
I'm with you about War of Will...the horse was full of run and in my opinion was ready to move out and around Maximum Security and and blow right by him with the result of War of Will winning the race

And I swear for a brief second I thought I saw Saez peek very discreetly under his right arm elbow area and could either see or feel War of Will was about to blow by him.....I like Saez and that quick discreet peek is only my opinion but once those horses got impeded they lost there desire to continue on and that made Maximum Security appear even more unbeatable ......But I am of the opinion War of Will was the horse who was about to win the Kentucky Derby.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 PM

27,284 posts, read 15,762,848 times
The Kentucky Derby got blocking right. IndyCar can do it too (just watch the Indy 500 and wait for a blocking call, it's bound to happen.) Why can't NASCAR?

That said, I don't know if the blocking by the horse was by design or by accident. The horse might have stepped wrong. The stewards got it right regardless.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:57 AM

8,956 posts, read 6,493,785 times
I took a look at the replay a few more times and it was amazing that a chain reaction of horses going down didn't happen. Take a good look at how close Maximum Security almost caused the biggest tragedy in the history of the Derby and one of the biggest accidents of all time, anywhere. Thank goodness we are not discussing that! And him getting spooked or whatever clearly affected the outcome.

How anyone could disagree with the decision to take him down is just mind blogging. Owner Gary West needs to give it up and move on. His horse deserved to get disqualified.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 AM

8,542 posts, read 6,138,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I took a look at the replay a few more times and it was amazing that a chain reaction of horses going down didn't happen. Take a good look at how close Maximum Security almost caused the biggest tragedy in the history of the Derby and one of the biggest accidents of all time, anywhere. Thank goodness we are not discussing that! And him getting spooked or whatever clearly affected the outcome.

How anyone could disagree with the decision to take him down is just mind blogging. Owner Gary West needs to give it up and move on. His horse deserved to get disqualified.
Most people disagree with you. One example.......

https://twitter.com/courierjournal/s...F1105748001%2F

What's mind boggling is to act like this kind of thing doesn't happen in more races than not with similar conditions. There's no foul here.

To make a decision like this one....in a Kentucky Derby....with this number of horses....on a track as sloppy as this one was....is silliness beyond understanding, given the facts of which we are aware. It begs the question of what is really behind this.

This will hurt a sport that is already hurting badly. I hope Gary West files suit and prevails.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:04 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,006,608 times
West's appeal was denied.

As it should have been.

The only people who think the stewards got this wrong are those who watch only three races a year (if that).

Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 AM

3,991 posts, read 3,213,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Most people disagree with you. One example.......

https://twitter.com/courierjournal/s...F1105748001%2F

What's mind boggling is to act like this kind of thing doesn't happen in more races than not with similar conditions. There's no foul here.

To make a decision like this one....in a Kentucky Derby....with this number of horses....on a track as sloppy as this one was....is silliness beyond understanding, given the facts of which we are aware. It begs the question of what is really behind this.

This will hurt a sport that is already hurting badly. I hope Gary West files suit and prevails.
There was a foul here, and all you have to do is read racing rules to see that. Gary West is a moron and an embarassment to the sport. He is only concerned with having his name in the record books as the winner, with no concern whatsoever with the catastrophe very nearly happened because his horse bolted and nearly took out half the field.

Fortunately smarter people prevailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or