U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:33 PM

512 posts, read 377,994 times

Advertisements

We just started a rugby league - major league rugby. Hopefully in 20 years it will be where the MLS is today. I think the only sport we don't play that is famous internationally is cricket. This truly is the epicenter of sport in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 01:27 PM

5,494 posts, read 2,320,856 times
I don't know. I'm pretty sportsed out.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:30 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,102,483 times
What about Amish rake fighting?

Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM

3,668 posts, read 3,528,920 times
USA has a potential to do even better in Soccer. MLS is sort of restricting the growth of the sport. Soccer is not suitable for a rigid Franchise based model. There should be various Tiers / Divisions and Promotion / Relegation should be allowed between various Tiers. This will open the way for hundreds of new clubs and thousands of new players getting contracts.

Cricket is popular only in the immigrant communities from Indian subcontinent. I have seen many Universities now pushing for Cricket teams.

Field Hockey is another sport where USA can do well (in Women's category).

What we need is start producing Male Tennis champions again. Serena / Venus have done great but we have not really dominated Men's Tennis since the days of Sampras / Agassi. European stars such as Nadal / Federer/ Djokovich / Murray have dominated Tennis scene in last 15 years or so.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:17 PM

227 posts, read 173,676 times
I hope the OP was being sarcastic.

We already have more "major league sports" than any other country. Does any other country have 5 true major league sports? Plus the massive amounts of money poured into golf, tennis, NASCAR, etc?

Lastly, there also professional leagues for Arena Football (American), outdoor Lacrosse, indoor Lacrosse, and Rugby.

If anything, it's already at the point of being completely ridiculous.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I hope the OP was being sarcastic.

We already have more "major league sports" than any other country. Does any other country have 5 true major league sports? Plus the massive amounts of money poured into golf, tennis, NASCAR, etc?

Lastly, there also professional leagues for Arena Football (American), outdoor Lacrosse, indoor Lacrosse, and Rugby.

If anything, it's already at the point of being completely ridiculous.

Yep. Those threads come up from time to time that basically ask, "Why doesn't the United States orgasm over soccer. It's the world's favorite sport!" You can almost hear the whine.

But the truth of the matter is that the United States already is filled to the saturation point with sports. Every once in a while, soccer makes a game try, but it's nowhere close to dislodging the chief American sports. I mean, the average rating for a professional soccer game in the United States is lower than most of the biggest bottom feeder college bowls.

That's not a diss on soccer, by the way. But I have to admit to being tired of some soccer enthusiast labeling us a bunch of provincial rubes simply because we prefer the sports we've grown up with. And I say that as a devoted father who sat on the sideline of my sons' soccer games for 15 years.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
We just started a rugby league - major league rugby. Hopefully in 20 years it will be where the MLS is today. I think the only sport we don't play that is famous internationally is cricket. This truly is the epicenter of sport in the world.

I have to admit that I knew nothing about cricket until my sister-in-law married a Brit. He's nuts about it. Last year we were in South Africa and about the only thing we could get on the TV at night were Indian cricket matches. It was absolutely insane how much they were hyped, complete with cheerleaders and fireworks. It was kind of a gas to watch.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

55,696 posts, read 74,690,590 times
Need more amateur less professional women see the value of amateur athletics soccer

Old 06-29-2019, 12:14 AM

1,199 posts, read 412,200 times
The more expensive sports are starting to fade out. Soccer is replacing American football as parents can't afford the medical bills and equipment.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 412,200 times
Hockey could be the next to go, with expensive equipment and rink fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or