Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will professional sports in America play with Mexico?
Yes, we will have a pro sports team in Mexico 4 44.44%
No, pro sports will not go to Mexico 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:26 PM

783 posts, read 694,464 times

Advertisements

Do you think that we will play in either of the 5 major pro sports with Mexico? (NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NFL) I am sure that the leagues would like it because they want to expand and a metro with 20 million people sounds lucrative. However do you think that it will ever happen for any major sport? Here are the problems that I think of.

1. Dangerous

If anything happens to a pro sports player that would shut it down. The very fear of something happening would not make many want to go visit a game.

2. Language

Americans don't speak spanish. Obvious problem. Not insurmountable, but imagine after game interviews and the like when a Mexican player doesn't speak English or Americans don't speak Spanish in Mexico.

3. Player acquisition

Players haven't even preferred playing in Toronto which is a great city. It doesn't have all of the associated problems and they still don't want to play there.

4. Interest

Would people really be interested in these sports? It can't just stay a bunch of Americans playing in Mexico. They need quality talent born and bread in Mexico.

Of course I am not talking about the MLS since everyone knows that they are far better than us. The problem with that league is that they would have to unite. I am not sure that they would do so. It could be a match made in heaven by combining Mexican talent with American money.

4. Politics

Would this get in the way? Ideally this could enhance our relationship.

5. Altitude

Mexico City sits very high. It could give people a tough time playing sports. Monterrey by all accounts is a far superior location but it isn't nearly as big.

6. Money

Could Mexico City support a team. There is a lower household income and therefore less money that people could play to support a team. However with a large country that ideally would support the home team, maybe quantity will make up for quality. I think it could support a team

So at the end of the day do you think that we will start playing with Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
A few things... They already have their own pro soccer league: Liga MX. There are tons of American players in Liga MX, and tons of Mexican players in MLS. Also, are you implying that Mexico is far better at soccer than USA? If so, that's not really true. They are pretty much evenly-matched.

#2 Language is a non-issue. Look at all of the foreign players coming into the NHL and MLB. Tons of NHL players arrive here and don't speak English. Likewise, tons of American hockey players go to Europe and join the KHL, Swiss league, etc., and don't speak the local language.

#3, the issue with Toronto (and other Canadian cities) is taxes. Players take home FAR less than they would in the USA by playing in Canada.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I know the NFL played a regular season game there between (at that time) two lousy teams (49ers and Cardinals IIRC) in 2005-ish? but beyond that I don't see any NA major league setting up there full-time.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:21 PM

783 posts, read 694,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A few things... They already have their own pro soccer league: Liga MX. There are tons of American players in Liga MX, and tons of Mexican players in MLS. Also, are you implying that Mexico is far better at soccer than USA? If so, that's not really true. They are pretty much evenly-matched.

#2 Language is a non-issue. Look at all of the foreign players coming into the NHL and MLB. Tons of NHL players arrive here and don't speak English. Likewise, tons of American hockey players go to Europe and join the KHL, Swiss league, etc., and don't speak the local language.

#3, the issue with Toronto (and other Canadian cities) is taxes. Players take home FAR less than they would in the USA by playing in Canada.
Good reply. So here are my points.

1. I am not so sure about us being on the same footing. When we have played we used to get our butts kicked on the regular. Now I don't pay attention to the MLS as much as other sports and I know that we have gotten better, but I don't know if there is parity yet. Maybe you are right on this point. However the very fear of it will matter because by and large people in America and Canada think Mexico is dangerous.

2. Many foreign players speak English in Europe. So Luka Doncic can speak just fine, just like many European players. We Americans are a monolingual society so if they don't speak English it will be harder for them. The difference is that Europe as a whole speaks significantly more English because it already is a de-facto universal language for them. Mexicans speak English at a rate of ~13%. This represents a much larger cultural barrier since the sports media would really need to be bilingual to be effective.

3. Money definitely is a problem with Canada. However in Mexico just because you would make a killing in Peso's isn't a guarantee. People still want to like where they live. I don't know if players will like living in Mexico if they aren't willing to tolerate Toronto.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:34 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
1) Presumably, by 'pro sports' you mean NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL.

2) 'ever'? No one knows. In the next couple of decades, it would seem exceedingly unlikely. But half a century is an eternity. In 1969 - fifty years ago - surely the thought of places like Nashville and Tampa having NHL teams seemed ludicrous. A hundred years? There is no way to even predict such a thing.

3) I would expect to see expansion to London before Mexico City. Fewer cultural barriers to induce players to play there, plus there's a lot more money in the UK than in Mexico (and disposable income for targeted advertising is everything). The only disadvantage there would be the time zone difference. That would be less of a problem in the NFL, with its once/week games.

4) I once read an alternate history in which the United States had annexed Cuba after the Spanish-American War, eventually leading to statehood. In the 1980s, Steinbrenner move the Yankess to Havana.

Note:
Oooops, I see you include MLS. That's a whole different ... uh... 'ballgame'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports